Two of China's 2018 figure skating events will be moved: JGP #4 now in Vancouver; Grand Prix to Finland (confirmed)

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new thread (originally posted in the Grand Prix Final in Vancouver thread) -- the following info was emailed by the ISU earlier today (nothing is posted on their website yet):
The Chinese Skating Association has informed the ISU that they are unable to host any ISU Event during the 2018/19 season.

'ISU GP of Figure Skating, originally planned to be held as Cup of China in China, preferably to be held in the Republic of Korea on November 2-4, 2018.'

'ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating (including Pair Skating), originally planned to be held in Harbin/China on September 19-22, 2018, now to be held in Vancouver, Canada, on September 12-15, 2018.

'Shanghai Trophy, originally planned to be held on September 29-October 1, 2018 in Shanghai/China, cannot be replaced and the season 2018/19 edition is cancelled.'
Source link (3 tweets copied out above): https://twitter.com/hueber_sydney/status/1006531179720380416

ISU Grand Prix #3 (originally Cup of China), November 2-4, 2018, currently is listed as location TBA on the ISU site: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11

Junior Grand Prix #4 (originally scheduled for Sept. 19-22 in Harbin CHN) is now listed as September 12-15, 2018 in Vancouver CAN: https://www.isu.org/events/eventdetail/11739/-/isu-junior-grand-prix-of-figure-skating
(I'm sure Skate Canada will publish a press release once event details are finalized.)

ETA below - post #68 in this thread re. CSA's official statement published on Wednesday, June 13:
http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/winter/2018-06-13/doc-ihcwpcmq4485239.shtml

Official statement is that they have a timeline for preparations and they are remodeling all the venues so they thought that hosting this year would not be possible. They said they informed ISU after a lot of careful thinking and that ISU has given them their understanding and support. They also said that from feedback they have received for hosting competitions, taking a year off will allow them to raise their standards and improve their competitions for the future in preparation for Olympics.

Last edited:

Catherine M

Surprised that the Chinese federation is having difficulties. Guess we'll never know what has gone wrong.

Hopefully the South Korean federation can make it work for that Grand Prix event to stay in Asia.

And Skate Canada being a host def helps their junior lady single skaters as they get a couple of extra host spots now for the event in Vancouver.

forthewin

ISU deserve this. If you know what happens to Chinese figure skating judges and China's short track skating team at the Olympics.

clairecloutier

This is really odd. :confused: Especially since they're supposedly ramping up for Beijing. And why the request to move it to Korea? I would think if they can't manage holding it themselves, they shouldn't really have a say in the replacement choice ....

forthewin

This is not one single occurrence. China is calling off hosting all international winter events for now. It's an organized protest for being treated unfairly at 2018 Olympics, including short track speed skating and figure skating.

clairecloutier

This is not one single occurrence. China is calling off hosting all international winter events for now. It's an organized protest for being treated unfairly at 2018 Olympics, including short track speed skating and figure skating.

:eek::eek: What is their complaint in regard to figure skating in Pyeongchang? That Boyang didn't medal? Or that Sui/Han didn't get gold??

hanca

Values her privacy
But it wouldn’t have been ISU who mistreated them, would it? ISU is not responsible for the Olympics, IOC is. So it is like punishing the wrong organisation.

forthewin

But it wouldn’t have been ISU who mistreated them, would it? ISU is not responsible for the Olympics, IOC is. So it is like punishing the wrong organisation.
Actually it's ISU who mistreated China's short track speed skating team at the Olympics and now they're targeting Chinese FS judges for their judging at the Olympics. So it's totally their fault for this protest.

forthewin

How they mistreated them? Share some details if you can.
The short track speed skating team got so many unbelievable penalties at the Olympics. China asked for an official explanation from ISU and no response. IOC got into it and ISU said China didn't make the acclaim in time. Truth is ISU had intentionally avoided Chinese team for an hour after the match and then announced it's over time for any complaint. It's a huge scandal.

Seerek

Yes, it's true that the Chinese short track team ended up being DQed several times across the heats/semis/finals in Pyeongchang, but my overall take was that the judges were being pretty strict across the board (DQ-ing the hosts South Korea as well on several occasions, particularly in the finals).

forthewin

Yes, it's true that the Chinese short track team ended up being DQed several times across the heats/semis/finals in Pyeongchang, but my overall take was that the judges were being pretty strict across the board (DQ-ing the hosts South Korea as well on several occasions, particularly in the finals).
The DQ standards are totally conflicting. The same things are called for China while not for others. South Korea have benefited most of the times and only called when the fault is too much. And guess what? The winners are always westerners when South Korean are DQed. BTW I think the judges are all westerners at the Olympics.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
This thread has become so cryptic I need to check my ignore list. @clairecloutier why did you think they have complaints about PyeongChang and that's why they're cancelling?

forthewin

And for all the judging scandals at the Olympics, none are punished. But now two Chinese judges are being singled out. The slide shown last week during Disciplinary Commission report to Congress indicated "Chen" and "Huang" as the two cases pending who are the Chinese judges in Men and Pairs event at Olympics. It's so laughable. No wonder China is pissed right now.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
How do these changes impact host invitations? I don't have a copy of last year's JGP announcement, but the last one I have says that the organizing member can assign up to three each of Ladies, Men, and Dance, and an unlimited number of Pairs, and, according to their qualifying criteria, Canada would be allowed 1 each in all events (7) in Men, Dance, and Pairs, and 1 each in 5 events in Ladies. (I'm not sure how many age-eligible Canadian Jr. Pairs there are after the dust has settled.) Are the organizing spots included in the events list, ie, would a Ladies spot in Vancouver count as one of the 5?

I'm not sure how many age-eligible Canadian Jr. Pairs there are after the dust has settle or if Canada would even use all of its non-organizer spots, but it would be a good, early-season head-to-head competition for their juniors.

If Korea hosts GP and gets the host spots, depending on the Fed select order, they could absorb any of the qualified Chinese skaters available, under the most recent rules, they wouldn't be able to assign new Pair Li/Xie, who have no qualifications for GP outside of a same-country host pick.

If this is a war between the ISU and the Chinese Fed, while the IOC is in charge of the Olympics, would the ISU take away the Grand Prix permanently from China? I've long been hoping for a rotating Grand Prix, to distribute the burden and the selection spoils.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I was reading this this morning...

"The 2018 Grand Prix Series will have a different look this season due to an unexpected and surprising occurrence: It was announced today that the Chinese Figure Skating Federation is unable to host any events this season and returned all its skating allotments to the International Skating Union."

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/2018-grand-prix-schedule/

I really would like to see Germany get it back..or perhaps something for Italy, Spain, or Finland.... something back in Europe besides France (and Please Felicia, no more plastic stars).

I feel like Asia has had plenty of events lately (and the next 2 more Olys still) and would like to see a bit of love go to another Euro country with developing talent too.

Last edited:

forthewin

I would assume that Canada and Korea (if they accept the GP event) get the spoils. China's loss. Seems like they are cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Is this really ISU's gain? Getting into war with the host of next Olympics and lose the huge market in China? I thought ISU has been on a budget since they cut off the number of skaters even for the world. And China has sponsored 8 billion dollars for the World Cup when they don't even have a team playing. I guess we'll see.

Erin

Banned Member
Is this really ISU's gain?

I didn't say it was the ISU's gain. I think it's Canada and (possibly) Korea's gain. And potentially other countries who pick up opportunities that are lost from Chinese skaters.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ISU had to offer to chip in to help with Canada's costs of hosting the JGP because Canada has not shown any interest in hosting the event. The last JGP event Canada hosted was in 2005 - to put that into perspective, Patrick Chan made his JGP debut that year.

forthewin

All the other sports organizations are dying to get a piece of China's market. NBA has done so. Now NHL are following. And these are the rich ones. For an organization in need of money, such as volleyball, they're basically begging to have events in China and they're getting them. I guess this wouldn't be the first time ISU pulling off something stupid.

binbinwinwin

How does Asia get a lot of events? They only just received a challenger this season. Many of the challengers and other competitions are all in Europe, which is difficult for skaters to travel to get world ranking points, TES minimums and SB scores for GPs assignments next season.

I really hope Korea can somehow find the means to host this GP. After the Olympic this would be good for inspiring and encouraging their skaters. Also SK would keep it proportional with 2 GPs in each major fs continent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information