Top Lutzes (according to judges)

syzygy

Because all figure skating fans like to frustrate themselves over lutzes:
Honestly it's mind boggling how Alina and Evgenia are number one.

bardtoob

🤮 The actual best 3Lzs are not even in the very top.

Skaters like Anastasia Tarakanova and Carolina Kostner have way better 3Lz with no outside edge while Zagitova uses her flat.

Last edited:

syzygy

A trash can thread if I ever saw one.
You're probably right. Do you know how we could get that moved? I haven't spent a significant amount of time on this forum specifically, so I'm not fully sure how that works around here. I already reported my post in case that would be any help.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
You can ask it to be moved in Board Business. Or just "report" your first post and ask them to move it in your report.

syzygy

Where is Tonya?
Crazy, right! Her lutz was amazing.
🤮 The actual best 3Lzs are not even in the very top.

Skaters like Anastasia Tarakanova and Carolina Kostner have way better 3Lz with no outside edge while Zagitova uses her flat.
I gasp every time I see Kostner's lutz. Looks almost like a robot (in a good way). It's so smooth and beautiful. Just unreal.

Edit: I take that back. All her jumps are unreal.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The one thing that people continuously seem to forget is that the early versions of IJS (COP) were not the same as the current structure. Elements received a GOE that was essentially the average of all of the bullet points (ie. a -1 on one feature meant the average was likely to be 0)-- hence why most skaters received 0 or +1 as a max. Now, it's more of a pick-and-choose which features you want to add positive GOE to your score.

For this reason, these types of analyses are pointless.

syzygy

The one thing that people continuously seem to forget is that the early versions of IJS (COP) were not the same as the current structure. Elements received a GOE that was essentially the average of all of the bullet points (ie. a -1 on one feature meant the average was likely to be 0)-- hence why most skaters received 0 or +1 as a max. Now, it's more of a pick-and-choose which features you want to add positive GOE to your score.

That makes sense, but even with skaters who have only skated in the current IJS, it is still very surprising.

briancoogaert

Absolutely.
Plus, GOE are used to boost best skaters' scores. With two skaters with the exact same jump's quality, the better overall skater will receive +3, while the other one will receive +1. LOL

syzygy

I'm a bit more okay with Zagitiova being at the top now that I think about it. Her edge is an outside edge though Though it's a bit mind boggling why someone would want to start on an inside edge and do an edge pull. I tried it on my double lutz a couple weeks ago and it was terrifying and just felt so weird. I find keeping a real outside edge throughout my entire entry makes it easier to get height and get all the way around. It keeps it very open and way more comfortable. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of these girls with weird lutz entries have very shaky doubles and even singles. They obviously took the route of transitioning a flip into a lutz instead of actually learning to do a lutz which I would put more on their coaching than the skater's actual ability.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Yes but back in Scotvold's day skaters were still doing figures and the traditional lutz entrance was setting up a back outside edge close to one corner on the short side and then gliding on that outside edge to the other corner. Kwiatikowski was the queen of that entrance, but by today's standards it would be considered a long or telegraphed entrance.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Yes but back in Scotvold's day skaters were still doing figures and the traditional lutz entrance was setting up a back outside edge close to one corner on the short side and then gliding on that outside edge to the other corner. Kwiatikowski was the queen of that entrance, but by today's standards it would be considered a long or telegraphed entrance.
And a shame. The primary characteristic of the jump when it was invented was the long swoop.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
By the thumbnail of this video I guess they are only considering skaters who skate today? and whom are mostly Russian? And did I see Zag in this thumbnail????? Child, she barely clears 5 inches off the ground.

Where are Harding, Volchkova, Sebestyen!!!

And Im also throwing Osmond in the mix. She beats all of Team Russia!!!! Fly high and let it ride Miss Osmond!!!!!!!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

and for the ubers out there who disagree with me, no need to respond. Ill be drinking.

bardtoob

Maria Butyrskaya had a very good 3Lz in the sense that you could tell she was on a left outside edge even when watching the jump from the direction that featured the left inside edge. That is, she was on an outside edge no matter how you looked at it.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Yes but back in Scotvold's day skaters were still doing figures and the traditional lutz entrance was setting up a back outside edge close to one corner on the short side and then gliding on that outside edge to the other corner. Kwiatikowski was the queen of that entrance
A post referencing school figures,traditional lutzes,and Tonia Kwiatkowski?

I am now aroused.

-BB

orbitz

Yes but back in Scotvold's day skaters were still doing figures and the traditional lutz entrance was setting up a back outside edge close to one corner on the short side and then gliding on that outside edge to the other corner.

I bet we wouldn't see so many 4ltzes today if skaters still have to do the lutz from the long back outside edge entrance. I kind of wish skaters have to go back to that again. It doesn't feel to me that skaters are doing true lutzes when they do the short, quick switch to a slight outside edge before toe-picking.

syzygy

I bet we wouldn't see so many 4ltzes today if skaters still have to do the lutz from the long back outside edge entrance. I kind of wish skaters have to go back to that again. It doesn't feel to me that skaters are doing true lutzes when they do the short, quick switch to a slight outside edge before toe-picking.
I really wish there was a minimum amount of time or distance that the edge had to be a visible outside. I'm okay with edge pulls as long as the outside edge is actually visible without having to obsessively watch for it. If synchro can judge distance and time, so can singles.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'm waiting for someone to try a catchfoot or Biellmann Lutz, where on take off, the skater immediately pulls their free leg over their head before rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information