Todd Sand Recovering from Heart Attack at Home

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from the 2023 PSA awards thread...

Jenni's thank you post yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsyzzpZrdjI/
Excerpts:
Figure skating has very been good to us. We met each other and many of our longest and best friends through skating. It’s given us the opportunity to have a positive impact on so many lives.
This week I flew to Orlando for a beautiful awards night put on by the PSA.
Thank you to U.S. Figure Skating and the PSA for their trust, support and belief in us. It was an amazing night!
Todd and I are truly honored to have been inducted into the PSA Coaches Hall of Fame for our work over the past 18 years. As Todd reminded me not too long ago “coaching is a privilege.”
Also, the Betty Beren’s award. Even though Todd couldn’t be with me in Orlando to accept this award he was there in everyone’s hearts. This award goes to him…he is a miracle!

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I hadn't read this thread for a while but I wasn't aware he suffered a brain injury as a result of the heart attack.

Debbie S

It is behind a paywall. :(
If you click through a second time, it might work. It did for me.

Summary: Todd is doing well. During his cardiac arrest, his brain was deprived of oxygen for an hour so he suffered some damage. Has been doing rehab. Currently some mobility issues (but improving) and short-term memory loss. Not coaching right now but they are hopeful he could resume someday.

ice coverage

Article from yesterday's LA Times on Todd and Jenni:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/olym...d-sand-figure-skating-jenni-meno-heart-attack

Unfortunately it might be behind a paywall.

Best wishes and prayers to them both! ❤️

The same article is accessible on Yahoo (no paywall), which says, "This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times."

(Dec 4)​

Last edited:

love skating

Clueless American

skatfan

The same article is accessible on Yahoo (no paywall), which says, "This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times."

(Dec 4)​
Thank you for finding it. What a remarkable recovery he has had!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Todd is a living, breathing, walking miracle and I still get teary just thinking about how far he has come in his recovery (especially since a lovely man at my church had a similar cardiac experience but ended up passing away from complications earlier this fall). So happy for him, Jenni, and their boys that they still have each other and have adapted their lives to make sure Todd is okay and safe. Thanks for posting this article. 💖

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
We have a younger (late 40s) lady right now in our ICU who had much less oxygen-deprived time who suffered severe anoxic brain injury and is in a persistent vegetative state and will remain on a ventilator for the rest of her life. Todd is extremely fortunate!

icefan13

I’m sad for this situation and that Jenni doesn’t fully have Todd mentally anymore, but I know they realize it’s miraculous that he is still here at all and doing so well. His long-term memory and retained knowledge of the technical side of skating is encouraging though! Maybe she has in mind that he could come back and focus on that side of things as a part of their coaching team at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information