Thoroughbred Racing 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah

I just read about Practical Move.

So many WTF freaky events. I'm not watching this year. I just don't want to.

sk8pics

And now Tom’s Ready has died at Old Friends from colic. He was 10 years old and one of Gem’s paddock mates, so I saw a lot of him. He was drop dead gorgeous and really thought HE should have all the carrots. That’s a common opinion so I can’t really blame him. Rest in Peace, Tom…

Tom’s Ready

sk8pics

And Geaux Rocket Ride was euthanized today. Sounds like it was an emotional roller coaster of a day for his connections, as at one point they posted they were trying to save him and then about 3 hours later posted a very poignant post on X. He had some sort of complication where he couldn’t stand up. I assume they meant stand on his own, because if he’d been down for several days… And they’d said he was eating yesterday…. Anyay, :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

It is with heavy hearts… Geaux Rocket Ride has finally reached peace

Sarah

This week sucks for horse racing.

ETA: from everything I’ve read, open fractures are nearly impossible to save. Surgery just delays things. Ugh. I hate this.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

ETA: from everything I’ve read, open fractures are nearly impossible to save. Surgery just delays things. Ugh. I hate this.
This is one of several weeks over the last couple of years that has, as you say, "sucked". I've come to believe that too many aspects of this "sport" are exploitative, if not downright barbaric. YMMV.

sk8pics

Yes, I figured they would not be able to save him when I heard it was an open fracture. I’m glad they tried and then I’m glad they didn’t let him suffer long. I saw in a DRF article:
“Trainer Richard Mandella was told by veterinarians at the Chino Valley Equine Hospital that Geaux Rocket Ride had suffered “temporary paralysis” and was unable to stand after the surgery, Mandella said.

While Mandella said there was some improvement on Tuesday and that the colt was able to stand briefly at times, Geaux Rocket Ride’s condition took a turn for the worse late Tuesday and into Wednesday, he said.”

I’m so sad. Of course, horses find ways to injure themselves all the time. I remember Marquetry fatally injured himself in his stall during a thunderstorm at Old Friends. That one was devastating.

Sarah

Yes, I figured they would not be able to save him when I heard it was an open fracture. I’m glad they tried and then I’m glad they didn’t let him suffer long. I saw in a DRF article:
“Trainer Richard Mandella was told by veterinarians at the Chino Valley Equine Hospital that Geaux Rocket Ride had suffered “temporary paralysis” and was unable to stand after the surgery, Mandella said.

While Mandella said there was some improvement on Tuesday and that the colt was able to stand briefly at times, Geaux Rocket Ride’s condition took a turn for the worse late Tuesday and into Wednesday, he said.”

I’m so sad. Of course, horses find ways to injure themselves all the time. I remember Marquetry fatally injured himself in his stall during a thunderstorm at Old Friends. That one was devastating.
Horses are always finding ways to maim themselves. Always. Earlier this summer my friend's off track thoroughbred mare ran through a fence and completely severed a tendon. She fought hard (the goal was that she would be pasture sound), but ultimately she was in too much pain. This is horses. I love them, but stuff like this happens outside of racing so I know it's not exclusive to racing. And don't get me started on laminitis (I know someone else who lost her OTTB gelding to laminitis Tuesday) or colic... Horses are fragile. Put them in a stall or a paddock or a pasture and they'll still get sick or hurt or worse.

sk8pics

Just one thing that made me smile today. Tom's Ready had a "derby hat" awhile ago. They do this fundraiser at Old Friends where someone makes a fancy derby hat, someone is the model, and there's a horse who is dubbed as THE horse for that hat. So when it was Tom's turn, apparently his whole paddock herd supervised. One of my friends told me Gem had his head hanging over her shoulder at one point as she was taking pictures. The image of all of the gang of geldings gathered together watching and supervising... made me smile.

Vagabond

Justify just had 2 winners on this first day of the Breeders' Cup.
An even better two-year-old by Justify, City of Troy, stayed at home in England. Justify is turning out to be quite the sire.

ETA: The track veterinarians scratched several horses after pre-race examinations. It looks to me that Santa Anita is taking the issue of equine safety very seriously.

Last edited:

skipaway

Cody’s Wish for a repeat in the Dirt Mile by a hair over Preakness winner National Treasure!

sk8pics

It was! Congratulations to Goodnight Olive and Elite Power who also were repeat champions!
Yes, and Elite Power should be at Juddmonte next week. Hope to see him there. As an aside, I love going to Juddmonte because they have a plaque of one of Tinner’s wins up in their office.

sk8pics

Cody Dorman passed away after suffering a medical event on the trip home from the Breeders’ Cup.
Oh my God, that’s terrible. I was surprised they all traveled to California given his health.

Such an amazing bond he had with Cody’s Wish. Poetic that Cody’s Wish is retired to stud, so his racing career is done, and now Cody dies right at that moment. I hope his family is consoled by happy memories of his life.

sk8pics

I had to stop reading last night.
{{ @Sarah }} I get it. It really is a beautiful story, though. I think his family will take comfort in the happy times, and especially the way he got to be there with Cody’s Wish for the final win. That horse knew; he ran his heart out for Cody. Sniff.

sk8pics

And now Arcangelo needs surgery for a leg fracture.

And Rich Strike is retired and dropped in the auction at Keeneland on Friday next week. I think none of the US farms were interested in standing him as a stallion. Poor guy. I hope he does not end up in a bad place. Any Given Saturday was at a bad farm in Korea but survived and is now being spoiled at Old Friends. In fact, I’ll visit AGS tomorrow! But poor Rich Strike.

sk8pics

And now, Paynter has died. He was euthanized due to lameness. Kind of vague but perhaps the laminitis was starting to return and they didn’t want him to suffer given how much he has been through.

PowerUpPaynter. Sigh.

Sarah

And now Arcangelo needs surgery for a leg fracture.

And Rich Strike is retired and dropped in the auction at Keeneland on Friday next week. I think none of the US farms were interested in standing him as a stallion. Poor guy. I hope he does not end up in a bad place. Any Given Saturday was at a bad farm in Korea but survived and is now being spoiled at Old Friends. In fact, I’ll visit AGS tomorrow! But poor Rich Strike.
I’m hoping a smaller stud (mid Atlantic, NY, FL) might want him. He’s a handful, but he might mellow away from the track.

sk8pics

I’m hoping a smaller stud (mid Atlantic, NY, FL) might want him. He’s a handful, but he might mellow away from the track.
I hope so, too. But I would have thought Rich Strike’s owner would have checked into those. Maybe not, though. It seems to be all about money for him. I actually think he would be better off if they gelded him and found him a second career. Barring that, if he ended up at Northview Stallion Station I would be thrilled. I just don’t want to see him go oversees, with a few exceptions, without a buyback clause. Kentucky Derby winners, and any horse really, should not be thrown away.

Sarah

I hope so, too. But I would have thought Rich Strike’s owner would have checked into those. Maybe not, though. It seems to be all about money for him. I actually think he would be better off if they gelded him and found him a second career. Barring that, if he ended up at Northview Stallion Station I would be thrilled. I just don’t want to see him go oversees, with a few exceptions, without a buyback clause. Kentucky Derby winners, and any horse really, should not be thrown away.
Honestly? It wouldn’t surprise me if his owner didn’t explore all options… he’s got too much inbreeding to smart strike which doesn’t help things either… but I hope he finds a cushy place to land.

A lot of horses would be better off gelded with second careers…

sk8pics

Honestly? It wouldn’t surprise me if his owner didn’t explore all options… he’s got too much inbreeding to smart strike which doesn’t help things either… but I hope he finds a cushy place to land.
I’m hearing some possibilities, so hopefully something will work out. I hate to see him go to Korea or Turkey without a buyback clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information