Thoroughbred Racing 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8pics

So now Rich Strike has been pulled from the Friday sale. I don't know what to make of this. Maybe folks are leaning on him to donate to the Kentucky Horse Park or Old Friends or do something else with him. I think he should go to the KHP; they are low on thoroughbreds right now.

Also, @Sarah, I ran into the bloodstock agent from Northview Stallion Station at the Darley open house last Saturday in KY. He was super nice as always. Told me he needed to buy a stallion and I said, helpfully and hopefully, "Rich Strike?" He scoffed, but not unkindly, and then shook his head and was muttering, "he's a Kentucky Derby winner for goodness' sake!" He also told me they would be having an open house but didn't know the date yet. I'll keep an eye out!

Sarah

@sk8pics donating to KY Horse Park won't bring his owner money... Just saying. Greedy McGreedison has one thing in mind. Cash.

Just saying...

I know he's in light training. I just hope they don't toss him back into racing...

Ugh.

I just have a bad feeling. And I hope I'm wrong.

Let me know when you hear about Northview.

sk8pics

@sk8pics donating to KY Horse Park won't bring his owner money... Just saying. Greedy McGreedison has one thing in mind. Cash.
Yes, but at least he would be a tax deduction!
Just saying...

I know he's in light training. I just hope they don't toss him back into racing...

Ugh.

I just have a bad feeling. And I hope I'm wrong.
I hope so, too. Ritchie is not the nicest of horses and I suspect he won’t run if he’s not up to it. I hope so, anyway.
Let me know when you hear about Northview.
Yes!

sk8pics

At least he is getting the appropriate vet checks and care. I just can't imagine he's going to come back and race successfully after so much time off. I remember George Washington, who was retired from racing to stand at stud and then brought back. He broke his leg in one of the Breeders' Cup races in Monmouth, totally in the wrong race for his skills. So so sad.... but he was well loved and cared for, I think. I remember his groom sobbing.

sk8pics

Sun King died at Old Friends from an inoperable tumor. I don’t see it on their website yet, but I got an email notification. Poor guy. He was a bit of a land shark but he liked women okay and especially if you had carrots for him. He lived alone for many years but when Popcorn Delites died they moved Special Ring in with him and they seemed happy together.

And so now Special Ring has lost 2 buddies. I hope he will be okay.

Rest in Peace old boy.

ETA:
Sun King dies

Last edited:

nylynnr

@sk8pics -- They're running the Belmont Stakes at Saratoga next year -- at 1 1/4 miles. It will likely be run there for at least two years, at the shorter distance. I didn't realize this was in the works.

DreamSkates

Generally, I against racing any horse that has not reached full growth. Which is @age 6 and more. It would be like people putting kindergartners in a marathon. Even with training and preparation, a youngster is at risk of injury. I think it is abusive to put young horses in races which can break a leg, cause lameness or injury in such a way that they are killed due to no money can be made.

nylynnr

Generally, I against racing any horse that has not reached full growth. Which is @age 6 and more. It would be like people putting kindergartners in a marathon. Even with training and preparation, a youngster is at risk of injury. I think it is abusive to put young horses in races which can break a leg, cause lameness or injury in such a way that they are killed due to no money can be made.
And with that, another lighthearted, essentially friendly conversation on FSU bites the dust.

sk8pics

@sk8pics -- They're running the Belmont Stakes at Saratoga next year -- at 1 1/4 miles. It will likely be run there for at least two years, at the shorter distance. I didn't realize this was in the works.
I didn’t realize either. Terrible idea, but they didn’t ask me.

Also, Noble Indy arrived at Old Friends a day or two ago. Great story.

sk8pics

I was so happy to hear about Cody’s Wish and not at all surprised. Now let’s see if he gets Horse of the Year; I think there’s a realistic chance, but we’ll see.

Meanwhile, Alpha was retired by Godolphin to Old Friends and arrived the other day! Godolphin is a great operation, very fan friendly, and I’m glad to see them getting connected with Old Friends.

sk8pics

I got an email from Jill Baffert last night. :lol: She said she’d tried to call me a couple of times and wanted to thank me for my support of Old Friends, and she specifically mentioned Awesome Gem as being a favorite of mine. She’s on the Board of Directors. The funny thing is, a few weeks ago I did get an unidentified phone call from a cell phone in California. I don’t always do this, but I looked it up and it was registered to Robert Baffert. :rofl: I guess it was actually Jill!:rofl::rofl: Anyway, it was quite the surprise and I appreciated it.

sk8pics

Lovely story. And did you see he’s at Old Friends? I can’t wait to meet him.

And I got another email from Jill Baffert, thanking me for smooching Dude. :rofl:

When are you going to visit Old Friends? ;) There’s also the branch near Saratoga. Perhaps we can take a field trip some time!

Sarah

Lovely story. And did you see he’s at Old Friends? I can’t wait to meet him.

And I got another email from Jill Baffert, thanking me for smooching Dude. :rofl:

When are you going to visit Old Friends? ;) There’s also the branch near Saratoga. Perhaps we can take a field trip some time!
Yes! I was going to ask you to meet him for me!

I do need to get down to KY one day. Just wish it wasn’t so far! Cabin Creek is closer… definitely want to go to both places! NY field trip sounds good!

sk8pics

Yes! I was going to ask you to meet him for me!

I do need to get down to KY one day. Just wish it wasn’t so far! Cabin Creek is closer… definitely want to go to both places! NY field trip sounds good!
Let’s talk about it in the spring or summer…. They do have regular open houses/tour times. But they will usually let me come at another time if I can’t make it at an official time, since I’m a regular supporter. Commentator is there! He still cracks me up. It was ‘Tator who I watched stick his nose out and shove a hapless visitor into a puddle on the path by his paddock. So funny!

sk8pics

Happy Birthday to all the thoroughbreds!

And especially to Silver Charm, who turns 30 today although his actual birthday is in February. He is the oldest living Kentucky Derby winner and oldest living Preakness Stakes winner. Such a cool horse. I was honored several years ago when he finally decided it would be okay if I scratched his back and neck.

sk8pics

Related to racing, Michael Blowen has stepped down as president of Old Friends and John Nicholson has been named president and CEO. I look forward to meeting him.

I’m sure it will be weird for Michael. He and his wife Diane live on the property and he is always around. The article says he still will be around and available for tours and just talking with people. He’s around 80 years old and looks great but a bit thinner the last few years. I think it’s a good idea they are doing this transition in a controlled way, as opposite to in a hurry in a crisis if Michael were to have died without stepping down.

Blowen stepping down

sk8pics

Eclipse award finalists were announced yesterday. They say the finalists for Horse of the Year will be announced on the 25th, but I am sure I read somewhere else that Cody’s Wish and White Abarrio were 2 of the finalists.

I also saw Maple Leaf Mel was nominated for an award.

Eclipse finalists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information