The Voice - Fall 2020

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Socially distanced with a Zoom audience The Voice returned last night. They had 11 full performances in the two hours but I was excited for only a few. The 1st woman up did a Lizzo song & I guess she was good because she got a 4 chair turn but for me it was mostly a bunch of screaming. If that makes me sound old so be it. She chose John. The next 7 performance were ok to good until a really dynamic bluesy performance with a woman named Payge. She was the other 4 chair turn & everyone thought she would pick John but she chose Gwen. They didn't show the last performer until he finished singing the Ella Fitzgerald version of Misty. Everyone thought it was a woman singing & Kelly had the most shocked face when she saw him. John blocked Kelly but Gwen also turned. But the contestant went to John's team.

There were 2 performers who didn't get a chair turn. There was a 16 yr old who was pretty good who they begged to come back. She was right on the cusp. And there was a thirtyish man who I would have turned for. He was as good or better than 1/2 of the people they did turn for.

taf2002

This performer is based in Richmond, VA now, but was born and grew up in a tiny community in the county next to my hometown (in Western Tidewater, VA).

Did you like him? His version was interesting but IIRC he only got 1 chair turn. The 2nd night of blinds had a couple of good singers but I don't remember anyone specifically now.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Quoting from the WWBT (NBC12 local news affiliate station) online story:

"Three judges turned around for him and Kingsley chose Team Legend!"

I didn't see the program - just wanted to share news about a musician local to my area.

taf2002

Quoting from the WWBT (NBC12 local news affiliate station) online story:

"Three judges turned around for him and Kingsley chose Team Legend!"

I didn't see the program - just wanted to share news about a musician local to my area.
I remember now. I think John blocked Kelly or it would have been a 4-chair turn. IIRC.

taf2002

Last night another 9 advanced. I really liked the one who sang Kelly Clarkson's song I Dare You ending with whistle note. Of course she chose to be on Kelly's team. Gwen got a couple of good ones including a 14 yr old who fell for her "mom pitch" & another who John really wanted. What was funny was how she used her block on him. I didn't know Gwen was so savvy. She is much improved than when she was a coach before.

taf2002

Tuesday night the final contestant was (IMO) a mediocre country singer who everyone except Blake turned for. Kelly was especially enthusiastic, why? I never figured out. Anytime Blake doesn't turn for a country singer I have to think he/she isn't that good. His excuse that he already had country singers didn't resonate. That's never stopped him before. One year he had nothing but country singers. The only time he's been wrong was with Jake Hoot 2 seasons ago.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I didn’t get it either. He was pitchy as Blake pointed out. Of course, everyone might be fodder shopping at this point.

LeafOnTheWind

I was annoyed that they waited to show Desz's coach choice until Tuesday night. It's not that great of a cliffhanger moment that we need to wait a whole day to find out her choice.

taf2002

Last night's show ended the Blinds but was mostly anti-climatic. The judges seemed to be choosing their fodder for the upcoming battles. I was impressed with 2 singers: a 16 yr old male named Lain who chose Gwen. He may give her her 1st win. And the last singer of the night who went to John's team. John was the last one who could have turned for him. I really think he could have gotten multiple turns if the other coaches had room for him. Anyway I'm looking forward to the battles & knock-outs.

Aceon6

Last night's show ended the Blinds but was mostly anti-climatic. The judges seemed to be choosing their fodder for the upcoming battles. I was impressed with 2 singers: a 16 yr old male named Lain who chose Gwen. He may give her her 1st win. And the last singer of the night who went to John's team. John was the last one who could have turned for him. I really think he could have gotten multiple turns if the other coaches had room for him. Anyway I'm looking forward to the battles & knock-outs.
Agree. I didn’t hear that many “wow” auditions this time. Gwen’s got some good people, but she’s always messed up the packaging, presentation or song choice in the past. I think Blake and John have the best chances this time.

taf2002

As always there's some good singers & lots of fodder on all 4 teams.

taf2002

I seem to be the only one watching The Voice this year so I'm talking to myself. Last night the battles started, one of my favorite parts of the show. They showed only 6 but all were very good. I agreed with 5 of them. I'm not sure I had ever heard of any of the advisors that the judges brought in but all seemed to take it very seriously & gave good feedback. Battles will continue tonight.

Aceon6

I seem to be the only one watching The Voice this year so I'm talking to myself. Last night the battles started, one of my favorite parts of the show. They showed only 6 but all were very good. I agreed with 5 of them. I'm not sure I had ever heard of any of the advisors that the judges brought in but all seemed to take it very seriously & gave good feedback. Battles will continue tonight.
Agree. No one who deserved to stay went home. I like how the producers seem to spare us from the lopsided battles. We either don’t see them at all or the winners show up in the “also safe” montage.

LeafOnTheWind

I seem to be the only one watching The Voice this year so I'm talking to myself.
Nope. Just late to watch.

I felt like Kelly's explanation for the song choice between Eli and Madeline was kind of lame. It was basically the song was perfect for Eli and completely new to Madeline in style and language. But she just wanted to see if Madeline could handle a challenge and embrace it. She might as well just say I'm totally cheering for Eli even though she did end up choosing Madeline. Maybe it really was a hidden compliment and Kelly really did want to challenge her. I don't know. It just sounded weird. :lol:

I did think it was sweet that Eli gave Madeline a spoken version of Spanish and then sang it for her to help her out with the singing rhythm. That was really a nice thing to do.

moebius

I did think it was sweet that Eli gave Madeline a spoken version of Spanish and then sang it for her to help her out with the singing rhythm. That was really a nice thing to do.
Yeah, but that got him eliminated.

taf2002

Yeah, but that got him eliminated.
He might have been eliminated anyway. I liked his blind but I didn't think he would advance very far. We've had much better bilinguals.

I was shocked that Gwen let Lain go & that no one stole him. I thought he was one of the best of the blinds. And Kelly chose Desz over Joseph - Desz has a powerful voice but I hate all those show-offy runs. My rule of thumb is would I buy that record & with her it's a big no. I'm not fond of vocal gymnastics.

Aceon6

Since we didn’t see rehearsal footage or the full performance, I’m guessing Lain bombed. The coaches aren’t fools and generally ditch anyone who can’t incorporate coach feedback into their performances.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I watched the battles this week mainly to see Blake's battles. The artist working with Blake and his team is Kane Brown, young new country star. My BIL is Kane's lead truck driver when he's on tour, and said that Kane is a very nice, smart guy. I wanted to see how he'd do.

Otherwise, I haven't tuned in too much. I'm a little meh about regular TV these days.

taf2002

The last of the battles was last night. Once again the producers defused any surprise that Blake would steal the loser from the last battle. Of course I earlier knew it would happen but after 2 hours I kind of forgot. I agreed with most of the judges' picks but thought that Kelly should have sent Larriah to the 4-way knockout instead of Ryan. And what was that horrible song - "I Need a Dollar"? Neither singer was able to shine with that. But the other battles were very good. Bring on the Knockouts!

taf2002

The knockouts started last Tuesday & will end tonight. I'm really enjoying them because almost all of them are really good. Kelly was brought to tears by 14 yr old Carter & so was I. I can see him as a teen idol with the right handling. Of course he probably won't get it. This show isn't known for helping the talent go on after the finale. I agreed with most of the choices by the judges. I'm really looking forward to the 4-way knockout tonight. My prediction for the win is for Kelly's Ryan.

Aceon6

Sorry to say, but Carter’s got 6 months tops before his voice starts to change unless he’s getting anti-puberty drugs. Yes, he’s incredibly gifted, but will it last?

taf2002

Sorry to say, but Carter’s got 6 months tops before his voice starts to change unless he’s getting anti-puberty drugs. Yes, he’s incredibly gifted, but will it last?
I'm hoping his adult voice will be just as good or better.

taf2002

Last night they ended the night with the 4-way knockout. My local NBC interrupted the last 5 minutes with a weather update so I didn't get to see all of the 3rd singer, Larriah, or the 4th singer, Ryan, at all. I didn't know until this morning that they won't announce the winner until next Monday. That was just before 8:00pm & we didn't get the bad weather until about 11:00 so the announcement was completely unnecessary. Besides, the "bad" weather ended up just being some thunder & rain & high winds in parts of the area.

Aceon6

@taf2002 It’s available on NBC.com and I recommend watching both. I think Gwen’s kid killed it.

Aceon6

Well, last night was “interesting.” Ryan didn’t show for the results of the 4-way. Carson’s exact words were “had to exit the competition“, so I have some googling to do to find out what happened. Found it. Kicked off for violating C19 protocol.

To my ears, there were a lot of bad song choices and lots of straining to hit notes. As expected, the contestants had a hard time finding the cameras and navigating the stage. Kelly’s team was up first and I wasn’t impressed. Giving Cami “Never Tear Us Apart” didn’t help as this isn’t a pairs competition. On Gwen’s team, I liked Paige, but I think the song choice and jazz styling may not get a lot of votes. Joseph was good. On Blake’s team, I liked Ian the best. As for John’s team, I lurve me some Tamara. Chloe was good, but again, jazzy usually doesn’t get votes. And I hated, Hated, HATED the arrangement of John H’s song.

No clue what the voting may say.

Last edited:

taf2002

Well, last night was “interesting.” Ryan didn’t show for the results of the 4-way. Carson’s exact words were “had to exit the competition“, so I have some googling to do to find out what happened. Found it. Kicked off for violating C19 protocol.

To my ears, there were a lot of bad song choices and lots of straining to hit notes. As expected, the contestants had a hard time finding the cameras and navigating the stage. Kelly’s team was up first and I wasn’t impressed. Giving Cami “Never Tear Us Apart” didn’t help as this isn’t a pairs competition. On Gwen’s team, I liked Paige, but I think the song choice and jazz styling may not get a lot of votes. Joseph was good. On Blake’s team, I liked Ian the best. As for John’s team, I lurve me some Tamara. Chloe was good, but again, jazzy usually doesn’t get votes. And I hated, Hated, HATED the arrangement of John H’s song.

No clue what the voting may say.
Kelly had some good people but she gave them away. I think her team is the weakest now. I liked Madeline the best. Tanner was horrible.

Gwen has some good people - I liked Payge & Carter the most. I was sorry Larriah didn't win the knockout. I think she was better than Taryn. I've been liking Joseph but hated his arrangement & his old-fashioned song choice. The way he kept going in & out of his falsetto & lower key was jarring. I don't think Ben has a prayer - better people than him went home.

Blake's Jim & Ian were much better up to this point. I thought they were a little bland & Worth The Wait (horrible name!) was generic family group. I've like Sid from the start so I wasn't surprised he did so well. For the 1st time Blake's #1 may not be country.

John has a strong team so it's hard to predict. I think Tamara is a shoo-in but it's hard to know if John will get the votes, he's so different & IMO didn't do as well as usual. Bailey Rae may take the spot that I had predicted for him. The Voice has a lot of country voters.

I can't predict. I have no idea why they want to have such a short season. Tonight will whittle the 17 down to 9 & then (I think) next week will be the finale.

Aceon6

I have no idea why they want to have such a short season.
If they’re as strict about C19 protocols as Ryan’s boot seems to indicate, it’s probably to get it done and have the cast and crew free before Christmas. It’s a money maker for NBC, so I’m sure they would have been regular sized in any other year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information