The Voice - fall 2021

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I wish GNT weren't on Team Kelly. Not looking forward to Kelly gloating when they win. I know Blake does it too, but somehow it's more annoying when Kelly gloats.

I wish there would be a tie between GNT and Wendy. Wendy has the voice, but GNT draws you in. Since, this show is about the 'voice', Wendy should technically win. Plus I am a fan of her only semi hit in the US 'Come In Out of The Rain'. She should sing that for the finale.
It's not just Kelly & Blake - John did it too when he won his 1st year. They all need to remember it's the contestants' wins, not theirs. But I do think that Kelly & Blake really are the best coaches in getting their people to the finish line.

LeafOnTheWind

I think it turns into more of the coaches win because the contestants don't really have big hit singing careers after the show. I do think it opens up some opportunities for them but they aren't the next big thing like Kelly was. So a lot of times people are coach voting IMO.

taf2002

I think it turns into more of the coaches win because the contestants don't really have big hit singing careers after the show. I do think it opens up some opportunities for them but they aren't the next big thing like Kelly was. So a lot of times people are coach voting IMO.
But the majority of them that make it to the finale end up being able to support themselves with music. Being able to quit their day jobs is a pretty big win for a lot of them. So far Jordon Smith has the biggest career I think.

chantilly

The career issues of the voice winners is solely based on the record company.

The coaches likely lose most if not all of their power because of the contract the winners agree to sign.

I love Kelly and I don’t find she gloats that much. I think she’s usually ecstatic and super emotional as as she always is. Blake does a lot.

Personally I think they are encouraged to do so by the writers and producers.

They love the stupid rivalry narrative with the coaches.

It grew very tedious with Blake and Adam.

I’m not sure the audience votes along coaches teams as much as I used to think.

Ariana has a huge fan base and has no contestant in the race anymore.

taf2002

Finale tonight & results tomorrow! Predictions:

I say Girl Named Tom with Paris as runner-up.

taf2002

OMG most of the performances last night were insane! But Paris disappointed me. Not that his singing wasn't excellent but his song choices & arrangements were so old-fashioned. And for some reason Wendy still doesn't move me. But the other 3 were so good. I checked to see who charted on downloads & Girl Named Tom was listed 7 times: #1 The Chain, #3 River, #9 Dust In The Wind, #10 Baby Now That I've Found You, #43 Now That I've Found You, #53 Wichita Lineman, & #56 Vida la Vida.

The others:
#13 Wendy Over The Rainbow, #61 How Will I Know, #83 You're All I Need
#27 Paris Me & Mrs Jones
#33 Hailey idontwannabeyouanymore

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Jershika really pulled me in last night. The sound mixing seemed off for GNT’s second song, so I didn’t hear as much as I should have, but on body of work, they’re walking away with this. Wendy also had a good night.

Allskate

Jershika really pulled me in last night. The sound mixing seemed off for GNT’s second song, so I didn’t hear as much as I should have, but on body of work, they’re walking away with this. Wendy also had a good night.
Overall, GNT has been my favorite, but Jershika was my favorite last night. I have preferred her to Wendy. Wendy is a good singer, but she doesn't really grab me for some reason. I think Hailey Mia is talented - and would be considered talented even if she were not 14, but she's not my cup of tea. Paris just irks me for some reason and I haven't really enjoyed his recent song choices. Tennessee Whiskey was my favorite, though I've always like that song. I thought Blake might steer him toward trying something like Ray LaMontagne to have him be slightly more contemporary, but recently he just seems like a throwback and not very versatile.

taf2002

Some people may not know the results yet so:
1. Girl Named Tom
2. Wendy
3.Paris
4.Hailey
5.Jershika
I was pleased by the win by GNT but wanted Hailey or Jershika in 2nd place. I love Paris' voice but neither he or Wendy are current enough. I can't imagine what either will put out that people will buy. Covering other artists' old hits will not get them very far. IMO Hailey is the most marketable of the runner-ups. I wouldn't be surprised if she got a recording contract.

Last edited:

Aceon6

I was shocked at #5. Do people not have ears? I would have had them #2, pushing the others down one spot each.

taf2002

I was shocked at #5. Do people not have ears? I would have had them #2, pushing the others down one spot each.
I agree about #5 but that would push #4 down to last which I wouldn't agree with. I would put #2 down to #5

Allskate

Unfortunately, I wasn't shocked at all, even though that is not where I would have placed her. She kept having to sing on results night to keep a spot.
IMO Hailey is the most marketable of the runner-ups. I wouldn't be surprised if she got a recording contract.
Given her age and singing style, she probably is the most mainstream commercial. But, given her placement, I'm not sure that record companies are going to come running.

I think GNT could have quite a bit of success if they come up with the right songs and arrangements for themselves and stick to what they do. It helps that they are musicians and arrangers as well as singers. They don't have to have a current pop sound to do well. Pentatonix has been quite successful. And indie singers like Fleet Floxes do reasonably well without the national platform that The Voice will given GNT. Plus, even though they don't consider themselves country, I think that they could still attract some country fans. Bekah can do some leads in songs that are a bit like Kacey Musgraves songs, and they can do folk songs that may attract some country fans. I'm curious to see what they come up with. I can see liking an album they put out if the record company doesn't mess with their style. That's a big "if". I've been listening to some of their music and enjoying it.

Unfortunately, I don't see Paris or Wendy having a lot of success, though I'm sure they'll do better than they were doing before the show.

Aceon6

I think most of the contestants are realistic. If I remember correctly, it was Bev McClennen from Season 1 who said her goal was just to make a decent living from her music and not have to work multiple side jobs to pay for health insurance. I see GNT tearing up the smaller venue (under 1000 seat) circuit and doing well with merch. Unfortunately, they will have to split any earnings 3 ways.

Rob

Beach Bum
I actually played the Voice game on the app this year. As the blinds went on, you picked your team and you would lose players as they were eliminated. And you would lose spots after each round. For a while, you could add/drop if you had open spots, but you would lose points. Toward the end, you could have up to 3 players left if you put them in the top 3 position. At the end, I still had Girl Named Tom and Wendy so not bad, I picked 2 of the top 3. I didn't log on every day so I couldn't rack up enough points to win though.

taf2002

Unfortunately, I wasn't shocked at all, even though that is not where I would have placed her. She kept having to sing on results night to keep a spot.

Given her age and singing style, she probably is the most mainstream commercial. But, given her placement, I'm not sure that record companies are going to come running.

I think GNT could have quite a bit of success if they come up with the right songs and arrangements for themselves and stick to what they do. It helps that they are musicians and arrangers as well as singers. They don't have to have a current pop sound to do well. Pentatonix has been quite successful. And indie singers like Fleet Floxes do reasonably well without the national platform that The Voice will given GNT. Plus, even though they don't consider themselves country, I think that they could still attract some country fans. Bekah can do some leads in songs that are a bit like Kacey Musgraves songs, and they can do folk songs that may attract some country fans. I'm curious to see what they come up with. I can see liking an album they put out if the record company doesn't mess with their style. That's a big "if". I've been listening to some of their music and enjoying it.

Unfortunately, I don't see Paris or Wendy having a lot of success, though I'm sure they'll do better than they were doing before the show.
GNT have a self-produced album or EP, I don't know which, that has done very well since they started their run. Also they charted 7 Voice songs at the same time. I really think they could do more than just support themselves. I think they have a real shot at the big time. They just need to put out some original songs while they're still hot.

Allskate

GNT have a self-produced album or EP, I don't know which, that has done very well since they started their run.

It's an album. I've been listening to it. It includes a lot of covers. Ideally, they will come up with more original material. As I said, I think they could be quite successful. The biggest issue will be material and what the record label decides to do with them. If the record label insists that they change their image and musical style, I think it will be a problem. In general, the winners of The Voice have been able to support themselves financially with their music, but most of them have not had a lot of commercial success. Certainly nothing like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood or a couple of others from American Idol. That's partly because of the format of the show, but I also think the record labels have not been doing a good job with the winners.

ETA: They released a song this week called "No Snow for Christmas."

RoseRed

It's an album. I've been listening to it. It includes a lot of covers. Ideally, they will come up with more original material. As I said, I think they could be quite successful. The biggest issue will be material and what the record label decides to do with them. If the record label insists that they change their image and musical style, I think it will be a problem. In general, the winners of The Voice have been able to support themselves financially with their music, but most of them have not had a lot of commercial success. Certainly nothing like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood or a couple of others from American Idol. That's partly because of the format of the show, but I also think the record labels have not been doing a good job with the winners.

ETA: They released a song this week called "No Snow for Christmas."
In addition to Hits from the Road, which is their cover album (+ one original song), they also have an EP of 5 original songs called Another World. That doesn't include their song Backup Plan and the new Christmas song. So I think they have 8 original songs up, besides all their covers. Backup Plan is my favourite of their originals so far.

I saw that they said they have lots more original songs written, so hopefully that'll help them get something out decently quickly. Plus if they do put out a new album, they could definitely include a couple covers. Lots of big artists will stick a cover or two on an album.

Allskate

In addition to Hits from the Road, which is their cover album (+ one original song), they also have an EP of 5 original songs called Another World. That doesn't include their song Backup Plan and the new Christmas song.
Thanks. I've just been telling Alexa to play Girl Named Tom, so I guess I already was listening to Hits From the Road and didn't even realize it. And I've also heard "Backup Plan," which is one of their more up tempo songs. I do hope they get the right people working with them because I really enjoy their music.

taf2002

I bought their Voice ep which has 5 songs they sang on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information