The Technical Panel: One Foot Step Sequence Part 2 - Explaining the Levels

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Here’s Part 2 of the series on One Foot Step Sequences! It goes over how levels are called, and uses Hubbell and Donohue’s One Foot Step Sequence from 2021 Skate America and why Hubbell got a Level 2 and Donohue got a Level 3.

I’m going to try and complete all the videos on Levels before the Olympics. After that, I’ll get into mistakes teams make that lose levels, and then move on to evaluating GOE. The order of the next 3 videos are below, and then we’ll see what I can get done!

Dance Spins
Step Sequences
Pattern Dance Step Sequences

muffinplus

Thank you for the video. I don't know if it's me but I didn't see where D exits on a flat edge (the counter) .. maybe it's the camera work but I find it hard to see that it was flat?

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
It actually looked a little on the inside edge to me! I said flat as it wasn’t 100% clearly inside. Though, the lack of a clear outside edge is enough to say the counter wasn’t clean for the sake of the level.

BittyBug

Disgusted
These are gems for us non-skaters! Thank you @thvu ! :encore:
Great for people who skated, too. My eye just doesn't move quickly enough to pick up some of the details in real-time, so, no arm-chair calling for me any time soon, but I'll keep watching these vids in the hopes that I can step up my game.

bcash

I see the flat on both turns by Hubble by not necessarily the one by Zach on his exit edge. Does the tech panel review things in slo-mo often? And what camera angle do they have access to?

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I see the flat on both turns by Hubble by not necessarily the one by Zach on his exit edge. Does the tech panel review things in slo-mo often? And what camera angle do they have access to?
The technical panel camera is on the judges side to the right of all the officials (usually, I can’t say for certainty that this is always the case). Yes, the panels get slow-mo. They can adjust speeds and go frame by frame. Though, it doesn’t look like a 4K 60fps camera, and if it is, the panel can’t review at that resolution and framerate. I think it’s 1080p, but it’s definitely just 30 frames per second.

This is actually very problematic to me, as 30fps video is not at all accurate enough to call things like q for jumps on the quarter. Upgraded tech, IMO, is a must to accurately call jumps. For dance, I don’t think it’s as big of an issue. An edge need to be clear, and if it is, then it will come through a slightly blurred frame. Broadcasters give us much better quality video, especially when they give us a slow-mo in a 60 fps video. I definitely try to prioritize examples from video at that framerate for my examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information