The Technical Panel: One Foot Step Sequence - Explaining the Turns

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Thank you for this video! It took me forever as a fan to figure out all of the different turns in skating. I still can't identify them all in real time. I usually have to slo-mo / break things down These videos really are a wonderful tool for anyone wanting to learn about ice dance.

VGThuy

Thank you for this video! It took me forever as a fan to figure out all of the different turns in skating. I still can't identify them all in real time. I usually have to slo-mo / break things down These videos really are a wonderful tool for anyone wanting to learn about ice dance.
I always felt like my inability to call turns and steps in real time would forever prevent me from being a “real” skating fan, but videos like these help immensely.

bcash

Short and informative. Thank you so much! Exactly the type of videos I can send to friends who might want to understand Ice Dance a bit more.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Thanks, thvu, for another great vid! Watching the ice dance at US nationals, I loved Hawayak/Baker's one foot step sequence in the FD, so clean. Deserving of the Level 4 they got!

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
IF only the ISU, USFSA came up with something like these so effective yet familiar approach for the fans to understand figure skating/ice dance...

Instead they are so short sight with youtube, turning their eyes and focusing in shutting down channels who share videos

Once again THANK YOU SO MUCH

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
@BittyBug I only skated as a kid recreational. I knew kids that took lessons and would try to show me stuff, but my parents couldn’t afford the cost to do anything beyond just rec skating. I would totally skate now since I can afford it, but there’s no ice rinks where I live. So, most of this is just me learning as a fan. When I go to events, I try to sit where the officials sit and the nice ones are always talkative and curious.

I still remember at 2016 Worlds how nice Marie Boweness was. She told me a lot about what she looks for as a caller, and how for a lot of them, calling is instinctual, that she has enough innate knowledge to just “see” things like an unclear edge on a turn. So, what you would expect for an expert in her field with alot of experience. I’ll probably never be near that level of understanding, but beyond that, it’s just me nerding out and studying. :lol:

BittyBug

Disgusted
I'm really impressed, @thvu. I hope that one day you'll make it to the ice and can some of these turns. Half of being able to do them is being able to visualize them, so you're well on your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information