The Skating Lesson

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Also, DL literally said in the SkAm episode (or Patreon, don't remember) that Malinin had the potential to be an even bigger star to the public than Nathan Chen. I don't know if I agree but he certainly hasn't turned on him and he was complimenting the improvement in his edge quality and said Malinin's programs were perfect vehicles for him. So maybe don't just pull stuff out of thin air unless you listen?
Gosh, DL changing his tune a month after ACI where he trashed both of Ilia's programs and had not much nice to say at all... color me shocked.

I haven't listened to TSL the past month because I've been recovering from a major health scare and didn't need his negative energy in my life. Probably going to continue ignoring his shows.

On My Own

Gosh, DL changing his tune a month after ACI where he trashed both of Ilia's programs and had not much nice to say at all... color me shocked.

I haven't listened to TSL the past month because I've been recovering from a major health scare and didn't need his negative energy in my life. Probably going to continue ignoring his shows.
That wasn't hard was it! (Hope you're okay)

dogbert

He needed to do something about the kid and Alissa was the one who was the guest?
No - not his kid. More importantly, he is not the kind of guy to toss the type of shade and snark that Lease and TSL specialize in dishing out.

rhapsody

Gosh, welcome to being a human. You're allowed to change your opinion. I didn't like Lolo and Nik's free dance at the beginning of the last season and by Worlds it was my favorite free dance of the year. While you ignore his videos, feel free to ignore the thread too if you don't want negative energy in your life.

Hope you feel better.

No - not his kid. More importantly, he is not the kind of guy to toss the type of shade and snark that Lease and TSL specialize in dishing out.

I agree. He's more of the kind of guy who calls a 13 year old Michelle Kwan, "kind of sexy". :smokin:

Judy

I hope you’re ok Karen. Health scares are definitely NOT good ❤️.

sap5

Watched TSL today because this thread reminded me of it, and starting laughing at Dave trying to say Piper/Paul were inflated because of a conspiracy to bring down IAM, only to have Alissa and the other guy basically saying that Piper/Paul deserved to have high scores because their programs are fabulous.

Do I think some judges think IAM has become too big? Yes. Do I think Dave exaggerates "politicks" to justify his own biases? Also yes.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
While just waking up and I see that these two characters had Alissa back on again and right off the bat it’s like they’re making fun of other skaters.

David just said oh yeah there’s lots of skaters we won’t watch and Sandra Bezic wont watch certain skaters as well. “I mentioned to her did you watch Rocky and she said oh I’m not watching that.”

It’s like now you just spilled all of her tea to the world and how do you think Lewis and Lilah feel. Only I don’t think I’m gonna watch the rest of this episode. and it seems like Alissa is all in this for them in it for them.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Holy crap the way he’s ripping apart Piper’s posture which I don’t see any issues with I just can’t, I wanted to watch, but I just can’t stomach this anymore.

I do agree that coaches should not be technical callers, etc. but I just can’t stomach skaters tearing apart other skaters

Anyone have any interest to do a skating podcast with me? I already have the title for it.

Tinycities

Watched TSL today because this thread reminded me of it, and starting laughing at Dave trying to say Piper/Paul were inflated because of a conspiracy to bring down IAM, only to have Alissa and the other guy basically saying that Piper/Paul deserved to have high scores because their programs are fabulous.

Do I think some judges think IAM has become too big? Yes. Do I think Dave exaggerates "politicks" to justify his own biases? Also yes.

I don’t really watch TSL, but I will sometimes just for skating content and I don’t mind it that much to be honest. Some other podcasts or just straight up content can be on the far end side of toxic positivity, so I don’t mind having something to balance it out. It is a sport at the end of the day.

My main point in quoting this comment though is I think some comments on this board also over exaggerates politicking. It can sometimes veer a hard left into straight conspiracy theory and that’s when I usually know it’s my cue to close the browser.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This board is a discussion board and there are lots of different opinions here. I don't agree that this board over-exaggerates politicking, because the board doesn't speak with a single voice. But even if it did, it's whataboutism to suggest that TSL shouldn't be criticized for doing the same thing. One situation doesn't justify the other.

Tinycities

This board is a discussion board and there are lots of different opinions here. I don't agree that this board over-exaggerates politicking, because the board doesn't speak with a single voice. But even if it did, it's whataboutism to suggest that TSL shouldn't be criticized for doing the same thing. One situation doesn't justify the other.

Is this geared at me? I wasn’t doing that? If i misspoke I’ll modify to not generalize. I think they all have their time and place and that they’re all just content. People can engage with whatever they want to engage with. Everyone is entitled to their individual opinions and having different opinions is what makes it interesting.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Piper doesn't have the best posture, or line - it's definitely an issue that has held down their scores at times throughout their career.

I noticed her hunching forward during the RD but just assumed that it was a trait of the wacky character in the dance.

screech

I didn't watch SC this year so can't comment on her posture there, but didn't Piper say something somewhere that she had to be careful with her abdominal exercises because of her ovarian cancer/appendix surgeries? There's a chance she could be unintentionally overcompensating...

skatingguy

decently
I didn't watch SC this year so can't comment on her posture there, but didn't Piper say something somewhere that she had to be careful with her abdominal exercises because of her ovarian cancer/appendix surgeries? There's a chance she could be unintentionally overcompensating...
I don't think so, because this is is not a new thing. Her posture at Skate Canada didn't look any differently than it has for many years. It's just not her strength as a skater.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

For any fan-driven site like TSL where they offer opinions I am not comfortable with, I have to remind myself that no-one is forcing me to watch their vlog. There are other information resources out there as well.

Last edited:

puglover

I like TSL okay although I really disagree with Dave about Piper and Paul's rhythm dance. Piper, IMHO, has other strengths and Paul many other strengths. The thing he said that did make me snicker was when he seemed to imply that Deanna SD is a bit ballsy and aggressive (my words) - for Canadians to get behind. What?? We have Meaghan Duhamel -- and his guest was none other than American Alissa Czisny, who seems so gentle and sweet she hardly dared laugh without covering her mouth. I love them all and appreciate we live in a day when women can be themselves.

mtnskater

I usually enjoy when Dave interviews skaters and coaches. Loved the Paul Wylie interview recently where Paul did most of the talking. I don’t watch his event recaps when it is just Dave and Jonathan because they are not at all informative, usually too mean spirited. But I sometimes watch event recaps when he has a guest like Alissa Czisny whose opinions I’m interested in. Recently I also really enjoyed Dave’s coverage of the Figure and Fancy Worlds with Shepard Clark and Debi Thomas interviews. And I especially enjoyed the segment where Karen Courtland puts on a Sonja Henie dress and skates and demonstrates forgotten figure skating moves like the flying Ina Bauer and running on toe picks. I’m going to watch that one again!

Edited to correct Karen’s last name.

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Dave needs his ego fed, and when that's not the prime character on TSL, it's not so bad. But generally it's like watching reality TV otherwise for me. Mindless entertainment. ;)

But that said... is his story about Madison Hubbel's comments at an ISU meeting regarding the RD true? Because regardless of his take that IAM is more targeted this year or not, that's ... pretty wild.

HaNguyen

It does seem that there were more politics than usual during Ice Dance at Skate Canada from the comments in the Kiss and Cry. I can't tell myself how skaters are doing, but it seemed like Alison Reed and her partner were overscored. I found it strange that a dance couple which usually comes in 5th or 6th wound up third.

screech

And I especially enjoyed the segment where Karen Reynolds puts on a Sonja Henie dress and skates and demonstrates forgotten figure skating moves like the flying Ina Bauer and running on toe picks. I’m going to watch that one again!
I've never listened to/watched anything TSL, but I read this as KEVIN Reynolds putting on a Sonja Henie dress and thought 'what have I been missing?!?'

floskate

Vacant
It was actually Karen Courtland Kelly who is the Chef de Mission for World Figure Sport. TSL's coverage of the World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships in Lake Placid was wonderful and the publicity Dave is bringing to figures and their importance is really valuable to skating history IMO.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Dave needs his ego fed, and when that's not the prime character on TSL, it's not so bad. But generally it's like watching reality TV otherwise for me. Mindless entertainment. ;)

But that said... is his story about Madison Hubbel's comments at an ISU meeting regarding the RD true? Because regardless of his take that IAM is more targeted this year or not, that's ... pretty wild.
What did he say Maddison Hubbel said?

skatingguy

decently
It does seem that there were more politics than usual during Ice Dance at Skate Canada from the comments in the Kiss and Cry. I can't tell myself how skaters are doing, but it seemed like Alison Reed and her partner were overscored. I found it strange that a dance couple which usually comes in 5th or 6th wound up third.
Reed/Ambrulevicius finished exactly where they were expected to finish coming into the event. If any of the teams that finished below them had beaten them it would have been a significant upset.

skatfan

It was actually Karen Courtland Kelly who is the Chef de Mission for World Figure Sport. TSL's coverage of the World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships in Lake Placid was wonderful and the publicity Dave is bringing to figures and their importance is really valuable to skating history IMO.
I’ve also appreciated his promotion of solo ice dance competitions. He’s done some good work in these two areas.

The This and That can be painful listens, but having AlISA join the conversation kept Dave’s bullcrap takedowns to a minimum. Hilarious when Jonathan and Alisa fan-girled Gilles and Poirier’s free dance and Dave had to sputter about Piper’s posture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information