The Skating Lesson

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Last I checked in on Ms. Baiul, she was a trump supporter - so it's is a very pleasant development that she's using this sassiness for good.

Sylvia

TBD
April 23, 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3b5_q1_9O8
This week, we were fascinated by Javier Fernandez's documentary and the Netflix documentary featuring Carolina Kostner about ex-boyfriend Alex Schwazer. Meanwhile, Ilia Malinin is involved in controversy after making comments on Instagram Live about program components scores and Yuzuru Hanyu. Olivia Smart gave an interview about the end of her partnership. And Aliona Kostornaia and Georgy Kunitsa debuted their new short program. We break it all down on the latest edition of 'This and That'.
Link to the Javier Fernandez 3-part documentary thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...mentary-on-rtve-play-breaking-the-ice.110564/

Allskate

Dude... try and visit the Ilia thread in this same sub-forum here?
Dude, why would this go in the Ilia fan thread? My comment doesn't seem to belong there. I think of the fan threads as places for people to celebrate or compliment a skater, and I'm definitely not doing that with Ilia. I mentioned a video from The Skating Lesson in The Skating Lesson thread. Seems appropriate to me. YMMV. And not everyone is going to focus on a specific fan thread, especially if something the skater say doesn't exactly endear that skater to the person.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I think of the fan threads as places for people to celebrate or compliment a skater, and I'm definitely not doing that with Ilia. I mentioned a video from The Skating Lesson interview in The Skating Lesson thread. Seems appropriate to me. YMMV. And not everyone is going to focus on a specific fan thread, especially if something the skater say doesn't exactly endear that skater to the person.
@Allskate I had thought about posting that TSL video you linked in this thread but the discussion was already well underway in Ilia's fan thread (would not have been my place of choice to have the debate but, oh well) and is still ongoing there.

Sylvia

TBD
DL has a Russian journalist on This and That.

Why would anyone think that's a good idea?
I assume because what Maya Bagriantseva sometimes writes in her Всем лутц! Lutz everyone! blog on sports.ru goes against the mainstream Russian sports media - latest example ("Everywhere they write that the world figure is impoverished due to the removal of Russia. Don't be fooled, it's not like that at all"): https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/vsemlutz/3168547.html

Last edited:

Amy L

I find Dave so offputting and critical that I’m so surprised that the skaters want to go on and critique other skaters. If I was an elite skater, I would avoid that podcast. It’s not something I would want to get associated with.
I wonder how familiar these skaters actually are with him. They may see his more genial nature when he's getting them to come on the show, but just watching a few minutes, it's clear that Alissa doesn't watch that much skating and only watched some of SA for the discussion but probably wouldn't have done it otherwise. I think he has plenty of "regulars", but a lot of the time some of the people he gets on the show aren't familiar with any skating that doesn't have anything to do with them.

On My Own

With AnythingGOE getting some big name guests, I wonder what will happen to TSL's style, and if people will still watch it. I still remember loving the Tom Dickson interview/recap they did in 2018 (after the Olympics). I agree they have a very abrasive style and I don't watch them unless someone really recommends an episode (hasn't happened in a while lol), but they have delivered the goods a few times with their interviews/recaps (recaps only when they have a guest) for sure.

ETA: Point being that there are too few outlets for guests to collect and actually speak about the sport so far. So I don't think they care too much about TSL being this or that right now. Maybe it will change though. (or the guests are awful people behind the scenes, who really knows)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
It’s just if Loena were to watch that episode how would she feel, that AlIssa doesn’t care for the free program and said she basically skated that program anyway in the summer tour and then Dave says but how do you feel to your arms all the way up over your head like this, as she does in a jump. I don’t think he understand to compete with some of the people she has to compete with she needs to do whatever she can to add on points. He’s just so critical of everybody.

and he said these aremy the programs Loena wants to be skating to. These are programs that she’s been given to, and told skate to this. Does he know that for a fact? No. So it’s almost like trashing.

and if you were the German pairs team, I would say, don’t watch the episode at all

Amy L

He gets super mean and catty to people he doesn't like. Like "bitch eating crackers" level of mean.

Although, I do kind of give him credit for letting Isadora Williams on the show to basically yell at him lol (though she didn't actually yell, she was just kind of insistent) Several years ago he insinuated that she bought a passport to get to the Olympics. She came on and explained how that her mother is Brazilian, she speaks fluent Portuguese, that she and her sister--who has never skated competitively-- have been dual citizens since birth. No one has ever backpedaled so fast as Dave tried to explain that he didn't accuse HER of being a fake Brazilian, just people like her, but not her specifically, are fake citizens. He got out of that one, but he didn't learn from it. I just assume that he likes the drama.

YukiNieve

I won't defend him in any manner, but judging from what I listened (and I listened till the end) Alissa sounded like she saw most of the performance except Leona's SP. Also for a record Kurt praised Dave's figures.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Back in the day, I really enjoyed their interview with Caryn Kadavy. Wish there was more content like that.

Last edited:

Seerek

He gets super mean and catty to people he doesn't like. Like "bitch eating crackers" level of mean.

He also has the tendency to "skip over" skaters entirely in the review if he doesn't like them.

Last season - there were skaters who had won medals on the Grand Prix/Euros/4CCs - absolutely ignored in the recaps as if they didn't exist.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Faults aside, I far prefer Dave Lease’s interviewing and questions than the “AnythingGOEs” gang. I truly loved seeing Czisny…with husband Browning running around in the background.

The solo blogger “These Are the Blades of our Lives” wins my gold medal for honesty and sass. May she stay alone…it works well.

ccpompom

Faults aside, I far prefer Dave Lease’s interviewing and questions than the “AnythingGOEs” gang. I truly loved seeing Czisny…with husband Browning running around in the background.

The solo blogger “These Are the Blades of our Lives” wins my gold medal for honesty and sass. May she stay alone…it works well.
He's such a loser lol everyone should stop paying attention to him. I cringe so much with his ice dance recap, it's all vibes and not a single worthy insight.

rhapsody

I find Dave so offputting and critical that I’m so surprised that the skaters want to go on and critique other skaters. If I was an elite skater, I would avoid that podcast. It’s not something I would want to get associated with.

Because he talks like the skaters, coaches, and judges themselves talk about their peers and themselves. Sorry to burst people's bubble, but skaters and people in the sport are not all buddy, buddy and sunshine and rainbows. They're snarky, bitchy, and envious.

As for your comment about Loena getting any points possible by her arms aloft... dude, that hasn't been a feature for extra points for about 5 years and they look pretty ugly... not like Zagitova's jumps used to be.

TSL need not worry about AnythingGOE. They have a committed fanbase and the alternative is quite vanilla and boring. They don't have a professional air about them in terms of running a consistent podcast without sounding like naive children.

Last edited:

manhn

I don’t find the podcast any more gossipy or snarky or smirky as a random PBP thread. I get that perhaps they should have higher standards, but I find FSU political threads classier than certain news organizations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information