The Skating Lesson

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I'm not a huge fan of Dave Lease but I also don't think he is public enemy #1. I do find it odd that randos on the internet have said he should be put in charge of the ISU which I think is laughable but I think he has carved out a good niche for himself. I always like listening to his guests more than him or Jonathan. Neither of their opinions or questions are new or revolutionary but if guests want to show up and give some insight I'll probably still watch.

Sarah

I’m also of the view that Dave Lease isn’t public enemy #1. I find that a lot of critics find one thing he says (a sentence) and pull it out of context to make it worse than it actually is. Having said that, i don’t listen to everything he says either. Some is decent, some is on my ignore list. But that’s how I consume most media/podcasts/etc. YMMV…

Judy

I'm not a huge fan of Dave Lease but I also don't think he is public enemy #1. I do find it odd that randos on the internet have said he should be put in charge of the ISU which I think is laughable but I think he has carved out a good niche for himself. I always like listening to his guests more than him or Jonathan. Neither of their opinions or questions are new or revolutionary but if guests want to show up and give some insight I'll probably still watch.
That would be me too. I occasionally listen but it depends who it is too.,,I don’t listen to him and Jonathan as it kinda becomes rambling.

griffen

I am new to watching the Skating Lesson. In my opinion, David does a great job with his podcast. I find it very informative. His guests are excellent. I am most recently very impressed with David on how respectful he is to his guests. He also asks very good questions. I hope for him this podcast leads to a rewarding career for him.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It's commendable that Dave is bringing attention to the issue of SA in skating, but I find it hard to square that with the bitchy things he's said in the past about skaters' appearance, costumes etc. Maybe he is turning a new leaf in being more generally respectful to skaters and their experiences. I hope so.

peibeck

Simply looking
It's commendable that Dave is bringing attention to the issue of SA in skating, but I find it hard to square that with the bitchy things he's said in the past about skaters' appearance, costumes etc. Maybe he is turning a new leaf in being more generally respectful to skaters and their experiences. I hope so.

Hope dies last. :p Sorry, while it's commendable they address serious topics on occasion, but I generally find this YT channel to be steeped in either "look-at-my-over-the-top-whoring-for-attention," or Mean Girls dismissive attitude which you have to ceaselessly wade through to possibly get a nugget of worthwhile information or insightful, balanced opinion. I get they have their devotees, but then so does Fox News. :saint:

I hadn't watched an episode in probably 4+ years but watched their recent discussion about Gracie Gold's memoir, and was struck at how in nearly two hours (!!!) they talked as much about themselves than anything pertinent to the book. 🙃 Jenny at least brought some street cred (and decorum) to the proceedings and helped balance out some of Dave's megalomania.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I recommend watching in small increments - 15-30 minutes at a time. I must say, at multiple points during this recap I wondered why DL is even watching skating nowadays. So much negativity and so much hanging onto past greats (especially in ice dance) and not much nice to say all around.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I recommend watching in small increments - 15-30 minutes at a time. I must say, at multiple points during this recap I wondered why DL is even watching skating nowadays. So much negativity and so much hanging onto past greats (especially in ice dance) and not much nice to say all around.

I agree, he complains so much, including about the Pairs discipline, Im like why do you even watch figure skating?

Karen-W

Agreed. He's so much better with skaters helping him to recap. This was basically a two-hour rant and kvetch.
Yup. The only reason for listening was the kernel he dropped about Balasz Nagy being in Colorado Springs to try out with Audrey Shin (and Brandon Frazier being there to help oversee/supervise the tryout).

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Starting to watch the most current video now, but they are so negative and annoying. I’m just reading comments instead. Where is all these comments coming from that Olivia should be teaming up with Zachary Donahue. They used to date, I don’t think he wants to return to dance does he? And his wife would have to be OK with that.

Added later, OK these two have suggested it.

Some people think Loena needs to get a new choreographer and a woman on her team.

And they are going to town and ripping apart Mark here. I thought he does one of the best jobs out there.

This video is 2 1/2 hours long with the way they are talking right now I don’t think I can go past five minutes.

Oh dear now they’re going after Marie France. I’m out.

Karen-W

Most skating fans do :D
Oh, I know. I think my biggest issue with DL and his ice dance views is that he seems really tied up in comparing the current crop of skaters to recent greats - he's one of the internet trolls fueling all the PapCiz comeback rumors, and now in this vid he's suggesting that HubDon reunite or that Zach offer to partner with Olivia Smart because, in his mind, any of those three past/future/imagined teams would crush the current field. And while that may be be true I'm not sure it builds and grows the sport to any new fans because none of them are competing - and all that idle speculation really has no place in a recap of the event that was just held. Talk about the skaters that were there, please, instead of wasting far too much time in a fantasyland that isn't likely to become reality.

Also, I'm not in any way convinced, based upon their conversation, that DL watched more than a handful (if any) of the SPs/RDs. If you're gonna do a Worlds recap, at least watch the entire competition, please.

Last edited:

Judy

Oh, I know. I think my biggest issue with DL and his ice dance views is that he seems really tied up in comparing the current crop of skaters to recent greats - he's one of the internet trolls fueling all the PapCiz comeback rumors, and now in today's vid he's suggesting that HubDon reunite or that Zach offer to partner with Olivia Smart because, in his mind, any of those three past/future/imagined teams would crush the current field. And while that maybe be true I'm not sure it builds and grows the sport to any new fans because none of them are competing - and all that idle speculation really has no place in a recap of the event that was just held. Talk about the skaters that were there, please, instead of wasting far too much time in a fantasyland that isn't likely to become reality.

Also, I'm not in any way convinced, based upon their conversation, that DL watched more than a handful (if any) of the SPs/RDs. If you're gonna do a Worlds recap, at least watch the entire competition, please.
I guess he has to fill the 2 1/2 hours with something 😝😂. 2 1/2 hours is a LOT of time to fill in 🤣.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information