The Skating Lesson

Amy L

I haven't seen the Worlds recap, but the last TSL I saw, which was maybe a month or so ago??, I thought Dave was clearly having some kind of manic episode. Even Jonathan called him spicy and he denied it with an "I'm not. IM NOT!!!" :shuffle: He's always been dramatic but there's got to be something going on behind the scenes. He just complains about his own viewers being delusional or stupid, so pointing anything out to him would just fall on deaf ears.

Judy

I only watch if he has a skater/coach etc etc etc that I like .. last one was Carol Lane.

manhn

They needed a guest. Dave interrupted Jonathan constantly. Jonathan was trying to provide his thoughts of Gil/Poi’s FD multiple times but he kept being interrupted. I think he liked that program, but we never find out.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I just started the Worlds episode because now I'm curious :lol:. Dave is complainy but not manic, it's just the usual to me 🤷‍♀️
Nah, he didn't seem manic, just sour and overly critical of the ISU and USFS - so, his usual.

Sadly, it isn't as if he isn't making some good points but they're just completely lost in either gossipy schtick or just plain rambling.

Amy L

Sadly, it isn't as if he isn't making some good points but they're just completely lost in either gossipy schtick or just plain rambling.
He clearly hates current skating and can't stop name dropping all of his 90s skating diva bffs. Why doesn't he transition to a skating historian? Oh well, I'll go back to waiting for interesting guests because just him (Jonathan is kind of a non-entity) ain't it.

skatingguy

decently
I just started the Worlds episode because now I'm curious :lol:. Dave is complainy but not manic, it's just the usual to me 🤷‍♀️

Nah, he didn't seem manic, just sour and overly critical of the ISU and USFS - so, his usual.

He clearly hates current skating and can't stop name dropping all of his 90s skating diva bffs. Why doesn't he transition to a skating historian? Oh well, I'll go back to waiting for interesting guests because just him (Jonathan is kind of a non-entity) ain't it.
This is the one where Dave seemed like he was having a manic episode.

sap5

Dave mentions a documentary where Gabi Papadakis apparently says that Marie-France offered her bus fare for to get an abortion. I remember a documentary mentioning an abortion, but I don’t remember anything about a bus fare. Am I misremembering?

Milan

TSL and Dave's spiralling is a reflection of the ongoing maladministration and deterioration of figure skating by the ISU.

skatfan

Dave mentions a documentary where Gabi Papadakis apparently says that Marie-France offered her bus fare for to get an abortion. I remember a documentary mentioning an abortion, but I don’t remember anything about a bus fare. Am I misremembering?
I didn’t know what video or interview he was referring to either.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
TSL and Dave's spiralling is a reflection of the ongoing maladministration and deterioration of figure skating by the ISU.

I don’t understand how people like Alissa and Carol even want to go on the cast. Then he says Karen Kwan calls him and then he spills the tea and tells us what she tells him. So why does anybody want to even call him or talk to him since he’s going to tell the world about their phone calls, etc..

skatfan

Dave Lease's 10-post Twitter/X thread on why he moved the Worlds recap video to private (TSL Patreon): https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1772624394092699892

Meagan replied to one post:
Lease has recently done a couple of pretty good episodes - Carol Lane and the lawyer for the abuse victims of Mark Cockerell (sp?). With this episode he really missed the mark with his audience - one fan suggested he missed the way Nathan Chen did at the 2018 Olympics.

I posted on his Facebook page that he might need to take a break.

Sarah

TSL recaps are hit and miss for me. I enjoys some, others not so much. The ones I don’t enjoy, I stop watching.

I don’t get so much of the comments and criticism. If you don’t enjoy, just walk away. I guess that’s not fun, but… maybe it was my mood, but I didn’t find this worlds as incredible as so many others did. I recognize that that is on me (what is going on in your life does/can impact your view of everything), but if someone doesn’t love the skating they watched, do you want them to voice a fake opinion or what they think? I’d rather their view and turn it off if I don’t enjoy what I’m viewing…. But again, that’s me…

sap5

TSL recaps are hit and miss for me. I enjoys some, others not so much. The ones I don’t enjoy, I stop watching.

I don’t get so much of the comments and criticism. If you don’t enjoy, just walk away. I guess that’s not fun, but… maybe it was my mood, but I didn’t find this worlds as incredible as so many others did. I recognize that that is on me (what is going on in your life does/can impact your view of everything), but if someone doesn’t love the skating they watched, do you want them to voice a fake opinion or what they think? I’d rather their view and turn it off if I don’t enjoy what I’m viewing…. But again, that’s me…
It's one thing to have a podcast where you share your opinions of skating. But if you're out there making up facts like "do you remember the documentary where Gabi said Marie-France offered her bus fare to get an abortion" when Gabi didn't actually say that in a documentary, that's a problem. Especially when you style yourself as a person offering "skating lessons" and you know you have a large number of viewers who actually "learn" about skating by watching your videos.

Note: I don't have the exact quote of what Dave said now that he has moved his video. If I'm misremembering what he said, please feel free to correct.

Peepsquick

It's one thing to have a podcast where you share your opinions of skating. But if you're out there making up facts like "do you remember the documentary where Gabi said Marie-France offered her bus fare to get an abortion" when Gabi didn't actually say that in a documentary, that's a problem. Especially when you style yourself as a person offering "skating lessons" and you know you have a large number of viewers who actually "learn" about skating by watching your videos.

Note: I don't have the exact quote of what Dave said now that he has moved his video. If I'm misremembering what he said, please feel free to correct.
I cannot verify this but I am ready to believe it ... . His insinuations are very often mean-spirited imo and when it comes to Gaby and Guillaume, he doesn't get them at all. They could be from different planets.
He isn't the only one, by the way ... amazing what kind of spiraling nonsense people got from Gaby's very honest and courageous retelling of her very complicated Olympic year in this documentary.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

You are not misremembering. He was talking about his disgust with MF putting her hand on the knee of a predator (K&C with FB/S) and said something about should have expected that type of behaviour from someone who gave Gabi bus fare to go get an abortion.

I didn't listen to the whole video but if he made more comments like that and his general shitty attitude in that recap then I am not surprised he crawled behind a paywall to hide because of both some interesting takes and the criticism he was getting.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I cannot verify this but I am ready to believe it ... . His insinuations are very often mean-spirited imo and when it comes to Gaby and Guillaume, he doesn't get them at all. They could be from different planets.
He isn't the only one, by the way ... amazing what kind of spiraling nonsense people got from Gaby's very honest and courageous retelling of her very complicated Olympic year in this documentary.

He is very fickle when it comes to anyone and everyone. All about who is giving him the attention he needs at the time.

I also think he is not happy that Montreal worlds went as well as it did considering the amount of energy and time he spent telling everyone how shitty, doomed and horrible it was going to be.

He is also a very confused man. Spends half his time talking about how horrible Eteri is and how drugged up her skaters are and the other half complaining that the standard of womens skating sucks, wash, rinse, repeat and does that for a lot of things.

And while I am here don't pretend to speak for the well being of women in sport while at the same time talking about superficial bullshit that minimises women to their looks, personalities or weight.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

This 100%. Also bitchy takes on skaters' appearance when eating disorders are a huge problem in the sport.

Karen-W

He is very fickle when it comes to anyone and everyone. All about who is giving him the attention he needs at the time.

I also think he is not happy that Montreal worlds went as well as it did considering the amount of energy and time he spent telling everyone how shitty, doomed and horrible it was going to be.

He is also a very confused man. Spends half his time talking about how horrible Eteri is and how drugged up her skaters are and the other half complaining that the standard of womens skating sucks, wash, rinse, repeat and does that for a lot of things.

And while I am here don't pretend to speak for the well being of women in sport while at the same time talking about superficial bullshit that minimises women to their looks, personalities or weight.
This. I have a strong suspicion that IAM has been giving him the cold shoulder most of the season and he's pissed about it. It's his usual MO. He has nothing nice to say about Ilia - hasn't since last season when, I'm sure, the Malinins weren't making Ilia available for interviews (probably on advice of the USFS). And we know he turned on Alysa Liu in the same way. It's pretty easy to spot the pattern once you know what to look & listen for with him.

Janef

Usually he balances his snark with good guests I believe Carol lane went on his show to diffuse the negative things he says about p|p he critizes them alot. She was classy. Jonathan never challenges him which is a problem I don't like the trash he says ie Sorenson and papdakis) those are very personal situations that best be kept under wraps it has nothing to do with skating and doesn't need to be falsely spread around) I was looking forward to what he and jb would say about worlds as it turns out jb didn't go and they decided to bash a lot instead

Karen-W

Usually he balances his snark with good guests I believe Carol lane went on his show to diffuse the negative things he says about p|p he critizes them alot. She was classy. Jonathan never challenges him which is a problem I don't like the trash he says ie Sorenson and papdakis) those are very personal situations that best be kept under wraps it has nothing to do with skating and doesn't need to be falsely spread around) I was looking forward to what he and jb would say about worlds as it turns out jb didn't go and they decided to bash a lot instead
I think it would have been a lot more balanced had Jonathan been able to go to Worlds and probably would have lessened the negativity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information