The Skating Lesson 2018/2019

rhapsody

Dave Lease's comments are just another example of the misogyny he's demonstrated again and again.

I don't want to go on a long tangent about this, but one thing that creeps me out about some elements of gay male culture is this attitude that women are fair game for any sort of negativity. Passing judgment on women's bodies and achievements (and weights and looks and other specifics) is just so lame and unnecessary. I think skating and gymnastics fandoms highlight this, but there are tons of other examples from pop culture and queer theory that come to mind.

I am not suggesting misogyny or body shaming are any better or worse coming from other people, but Dave and his supporters (who are very often either women or gay men)* absolutely deserve to get called out on this bullshit because it has real and toxic implications both in and out of skating.

*And yes I am referring to multiple people who post in this thread.

This is pretty rich coming from someone who loves writing fake interviews and saying things on par and sometimes worse than these two clowns under the guise of it being satire.

Now I actually like reading your interviews and think it's absolutely necessary to call out their BS but let's not pretend that you're not also adding to this toxic culture.

ETERI TUTBERIDZE: Nothing I could imagine is as ugly, as filthy, rife with virus and bacteria and stains—nothing compares to you, Zhenya. Not even genitals of Nikolai Morosov, not that I am young enough to know such a thing.

"Just a joke." :rolleyes:

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
This is pretty rich coming from someone who loves writing fake interviews and saying things on par and sometimes worse than these two clowns under the guise of it being satire.

Now I actually like reading your interviews and think it's absolutely necessary to call out their BS but let's not pretend that you're not also adding to this toxic culture.

"Just a joke." :rolleyes:
If you think my satire is a "guise," do you also think Sacha Baron Cohen is actually a homophobic, anti-Semitic, sexist, racist, pro-Trumpist?

If you can't tell the difference between making fun of something one disagrees with and endorsing that same viewpoint, that's not my problem.

ETA: I'm going to continue this, because another poster (Karpenko) accused me of the same thing a year or two ago, and also called me mentally ill.

The whole reason I started writing those Ivana Komova interviews was to make fun of racism, sexism, homophobia, weight shaming, and other problematic trends in skating. And every time I've posted one of those interviews, people have thought they are real--which is both amusing and terrifying.

So yes, I guess it is possible they are "adding to this toxic culture" if people don't understand they're fake.

Next time I post one, I will write that it's fake 15 times and share my real views about the political issues they may raise. And then someone will still think it's real and write a comment about it's offensive, because that's how the internet works.

So I will copy and paste this:

Ivana Komova isn't real. The interviews are a joke. I am making fun of weight shaming, sexism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, and racism because I want to expose how ridiculous those things are. If people don't get it, you can still blame me but I will post rants when you do.

Okay?

Last edited:

Tavi

I have never been able to tolerate more than ten seconds of TSL. However, I am familiar with many of the things he's said as Dave and as Aunt Joyce via comments and links FSU.

I was responding to what @VIETgrlTerifa said about the "pretty face and 3Z3L" combo.

Dave's comments have consistently implied that he's in a position to harshly judge women's bodies and appearances and that's okay because it's "real talk" or something like that.

I don't care what he's said about Max and Jason; I don't see how that is at all relevant to what I'm arguing. It might be similarly awful, or sexist (though probably not misogynist), or even homophobic.

My comment wasn't about being critical or even harshly critical. I have no problem at all with that when the comments are directed at adult athletes.

Moreover, I was specifically talking about the trend I've noticed in gay male culture of judging women and their bodies and appearances, which makes what Dave has said about Max and Jason even more irrelevant.

So, basically, I have no idea how your response has anything to do with what I said.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I misunderstood.

rhapsody

If you think my satire is a "guise," do you also think Sacha Baron Cohen is actually a homophobic, anti-Semitic, sexist, racist, pro-Trumpist?

If you can't tell the difference between making fun of something one disagrees with and endorsing that same viewpoint, that's not my problem.

ETA: I'm going to continue this, because another poster (Kosjenka) accused me of the same thing a year or two ago, and also called me mentally ill.

The whole reason I started writing those Ivana Komova interviews was to make fun of racism, sexism, homophobia, weight shaming, and other problematic trends in skating. And every time I've posted one of those interviews, people have thought they are real--which is both amusing and terrifying.

So yes, I guess it is possible they are "adding to this toxic culture" if people don't understand they're fake.

Next time I post one, I will write that it's fake 15 times and share my real views about the political issues they may raise. And then someone will still think it's real and write a comment about it's offensive, because that's how the internet works.

So I will copy and paste this:

Ivana Komova isn't real. The interviews are a joke. I am making fun of weight shaming, sexism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, and racism because I want to expose how ridiculous those things are. If people don't get it, you can still blame me but I will post rants when you do.

Okay?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I appreciate the condescending tone but I really don't care what you end up doing. There's a point when satire crosses a line like comparing Evgenia to a man's genitals. Could you have made fun of the fact that Eteri is a childish woman with an enormous grudge without saying a teenage woman is on par with some dude's cock? Absolutely. And clearly we disagree on that point.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I appreciate the condescending tone but I really don't care what you end up doing. There's a point when satire crosses a line like comparing Evgenia to a man's genitals. Could you have made fun of the fact that Eteri is a childish woman with an enormous grudge without saying a teenage woman is on par with some dude's cock? Absolutely. And clearly we disagree on that point.
I'm so glad that you apparently found a quote from a post I made several years ago to find an example of when my satire allegedly crossed a line. I will take your opinion and comment into consideration and give it all the credence it deserves.

ETA: You also didn't address any of the multiple substantive arguments in my prior post which were backed up with examples. If you think that anyone in their right mind would take that Morosov/Medvedeva joke seriously, that's your prerogative, but I'm not going to waste any more time with someone making problematic assertions.

I am, however, flattered that you took a few seconds to find threads I started.

Last edited:

rhapsody

I'm so glad that you apparently found a quote from a post I made several years ago to find an example of when my satire allegedly crossed a line. I will take your opinion and comment into consideration and give it all the credence it deserves.

It literally took 30 seconds to search for threads started by you, clicking on the second one, and reading the first paragraph. Just don't call me a genius. :glamor:

ETA: You also didn't address any of the multiple substantive arguments in my prior post which were backed up with examples. If you think that anyone in their right mind would take that Morosov/Medvedeva joke seriously, that's your prerogative, but I'm not going to waste any more time with someone making problematic assertions.

I am, however, flattered that you took a few seconds to find threads I started.

I'm glad that a 30 second search of your interviews flatters you. Like I said, I enjoy reading them.

I personally don't care enough about TSL or you to go back and respond to each point. I also don't have too big of an ego to simply say "my bad" on the comparison to end this.

Okay?

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

It looks like TSL is correct that Gogolev is going to Raf. Excited to see what that pairing will result in!
TSL was not the first one to put it out on internet. First discussions started on Russian chats by russian-canadians.

In the last video TSL seems to also be very misinformed about what Zagitova was doing in Toronto.
Zagitova was there on a "commercial project" and TSL said she is there to seek help in "choreography for her programmes"....... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

skatfan

TSL was not the first one to put it out on internet. First discussions started on Russian chats by russian-canadians.

In the last video TSL seems to also be very misinformed about what Zagitova was doing in Toronto.
Zagitova was there on a "commercial project" and TSL said she is there to seek help in "choreography for her programmes"....... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I didn’t say that TSL broke the story - so no diss is actually necessary. But that would require restraint on your part, which we know is not your strength.

What was the commercoal project?

Tinami Amori

I didn’t say that TSL broke the story - so no diss is actually necessary. But that would require restraint on your part, which we know is not your strength.
I was not dissing you, so no need to take it personally.... But that would require a bit of thinking on your part, which we know is not your strength.

skatfan

I was not dissing you, so no need to take it personally.... But that would require a bit of thinking on your part, which we know is not your strength.

Lol, my thinking is just fine. But then why post an unnecessary comment that TSL didn’t have the first comment about this? I didn’t say they had.

Tinami Amori

Lol, my thinking is just fine. But then why post an unnecessary comment that TSL didn’t have the first comment about this? I didn’t say they had.
... and i did not say "you were wrong"... i said pretty much, in this post, and many earlier ones, that TSL feeds off pieces of information produced by others, and sometimes still gets it wrong.

skatfan

... and i did not say "you were wrong"... i said pretty much, in this post, and many earlier ones, that TSL feeds off pieces of information produced by others, and sometimes still gets it wrong.

Ah, now I see, a mostly unnecessary hit on them for putting out accurate info on Gogolev.

Tinami Amori

Ah, now I see, a mostly unnecessary hit on them for putting out accurate info on Gogolev.
"Unnecessary hit on (insert a name)" is TSL's modus operandi to gain popularity and thus a source of income... they hardly need protection from their own methods... :D

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Dave Lease's comments are just another example of the misogyny he's demonstrated again and again.

Dave is an equal opportunity offender. I wouldn't characterize this latest comment about Zagitova as sexist. That is unless you think that if I said that I thought the only reason why Steven Cousins was in SOI was because he was a prettyboy was sexist against all men. It's condescending of course, but not sexist. YMMV, of course.

bardtoob

That is unless you think that if I said that I thought the only reason why Steven Cousins was in SOI was because he was a prettyboy was sexist against all men.

That can't be sexist because men historically have not almost exclusively been valued for their appearance in almost all contexts. Objectifying men is a fairly new phenomenon.

Being sexist towards a man would occur if you, for example, assumed a man can not have hurt feelings because "that is not how men are".

Last edited:

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
That can't be sexist because men historically have not almost exclusively been valued for their appearance in almost all contexts. Objectifying men is a fairly new phenomenon.

Being sexist towards a man would occur if you, for example, assumed a man can not have hurt feelings because "that is not how men are".

Or if you have a doctorate and your disgusting boss keeps telling you that we need to have a weekend of golf somewhere.... "I'm sorry I don't play golf, I am tending to my relative who is terminally ill.." Even THAT doesn't get the point across. I've been there. And HR is bullshit. Once you complain to HR your job is ass. In other words, it isn't just women who have suffered from sexual harassment in the workplace. Fortunately I always had a step UP in the game. Looking back, well it's painful, but I'm out of that... Happy now. :)

Quadaxel2020

Anyone know why they re-uploaded the latest video? I still have the old email YouTube sent me, the original one on May 12th was 1:24:30 and this one is 1:22:05. Hmmm. Anyone what they edited out?

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
are you talking about the pairs short from Lillehammer? there was a problem with the GG program being blocked

Cleo1782

They were talking about a tryout arranged by Meagan Duhamel that Deanna Stellato had with sb. I forgot with whom it was but I guess Deanna didn't want it to be public yet.

She was trying out with Maxime Deschamps. She already tried out with Ruben Blommaert.

marie1616

She was trying out with Maxime Deschamps. She already tried out with Ruben Blommaert.

She didn't try out with Blommaert i think he is in the German sports military camp until the end of May and while being there you don't really have time to train. Also Blommaert told that he is doing a try out with someone from Berlin after the camp

aftershocks

Banned Member
It probably happened while you were posting so much about baby Sussex. ;)

Seriously, it was confirmed last week by another publication.

Ah well, I don't generally keep up with the Canadian men much in the off-season. I'm more into pairs generally, and U.S. men, and ice dance when I get around to it. Anyway, it's blimey impossible to keep up with everything that's happening in figure skating. This is true even had I not been more preoccupied with other things over these past several weeks, such as my own life, in addition to the excitement over Baby Sussex, now born and named Archie Harrison. The Sussexes are so off-topic in this thread though, it's not even funny.

I have been and will continue to be missing fs news tidbits here every now and then this off-season, as do most fans who need a time out, after all the burnout from the Olympics and this past up-and-down fs season, and with so much sadness in the world that's been impacting the skating community too. So once again full circle (and OT), that's why for a change of pace, happy Sussex news is more pleasant to contemplate for a lot of people in the world, just not for many people on FSU, apparently. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information