The Skating Lesson 2018/2019

skateboy

I'm not going to watch the 2014 Olympic scoring video, but does he at all address the fact that Yuna in the SP skated extremely early which probably hurt her a bit? Just like with Plushenko in 2010.
Hmm... I don't know. Plushenko skated second in the SP in Torino and had no problem wiping out the rest of the competition.

skateboy

I love these scoring videos, they are really concise and informative
I agree. This is where Dave is at his best.

In fact, I would watch TSL is it were just Dave. I just can't with Jonathan... I don't even know why he is there, as he adds nothing important or insightful to the discussion.

Icetigger

To be honest, I think anyone who wants to know about the IJS is better off going to the ISU website and downloading the relevant communications. The interpretations of the system being given by Lease are biased and vindictive.

Besides which, trying to use a system which wasn't in place then to try and resolve who should have won, is redundant and dumb.

Also, hilariously, Dave Lease was defending his gossip about what Eteri is alleged to have said regarding Med. Unfortunately he gave two different versions- one in which Eteri told her to go and have have babies (the video with attention Haw), and one where it was the Russian Fed (the one with Meagan Duhamel). If you want to use allegations within a report, don't use two different versions, and then when it is pointed out act like you are being treated unfairly. It just points out who you really are- an unethical, gossiping amateur, who can't be bothered to get his facts right, and who will happily slander either a coach or a Fed in the process.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I love these scoring videos, they are really concise and informative

While I appreciate what Dave has done, I personally find them dreadfully boring. (During competitions, I watch for the overall beauty of programs & don’t give a hoot about counting points.) I’ll stick to watching the weekly chit-chat summaries, replete with juicy gossip! Jonathan is fun and adds to the overall enjoyment of the hour.

CaliSteve

Med may thrive at TCC. Or she may end up like Tursy and Nam--to name just a few of Orser's nonsuccess stories.

I like Brian and have followed him closely since 2015, when I first discovered Hanyu. He's a good coach in many ways but, like other coaches, he's not without his blind spots and faults. And he's very much like Eteri in one important way: He wants skaters who can medal, preferably gold. When it starts to look like that's not going to happen for one of his students, he gradually starts pulling away from that skater and stops talking about him or her in interviews.

Which is why I wonder how Jason will do at TCC.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Agree about Orser, as well is in regards to many top coaches.

My big wish is for Rafael Arutynian, just for once, have his way with a skater, and be able to train him/her just the way he wants without any hindrances/objections.

He got that with Kwan. He’s noted in interviews how compliant and hardworking she was under his brief tutelage.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Which is why I wonder how Jason will do at TCC.

Although everyone talks about Brian Brian Brian, TCC is not a one man show. Brian has said in numerous interviews over many years how Tracy is his equal partner, how much he relies on Tracy and how important her opinion is. Not to mention the other coaches.

Tracy adores Jason. Hence his presence at TCC.

nylynnr

Hmm... I don't know. Plushenko skated second in the SP in Torino and had no problem wiping out the rest of the competition.

Plushenko was on his own planet in Torino. In Vancouver, though, Mishin was very, very bitter that Plushenko had to skate early in the SP; he blamed the skating order for Plushenko only taking a half-point lead into the free skate.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Shame she had chronic injuries during that period that prevented her from reaching her potential under him. I didn't think Adam or Ashley gave him any problems though.

At various times he’s made off-hand comments on Ashley’s focus.

I get the sense that Raf clearly lays out his expectations and conditions when accepting a skater, but doesn’t necessarily waste his energy fighting deviations later on.

ETA: I wish he and Cohen could have agreed on an arrangement for her comeback.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Nothing is ever Raf’s fault.:rolleyes:

The skater doesn’t listen. The skater doesn’t practice. The skater’s parents interfere
:blah::blah::blah:

I wouldn’t let him near a young skater, especially any child of mine. I think he’s probably best with skaters who can push back, either adults or ones who know their own mind.....

Just how far can this thread drift in two pages, :lol:

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Shame she had chronic injuries during that period that prevented her from reaching her potential under him. I didn't think Adam or Ashley gave him any problems though.

She was never the same jumper that she was as a teenager. Apparently even Carroll's technique couldn't save her into adulthood, even if she belatedly received RA's help... He was an early Eteri, no?

CaliSteve

While I appreciate what Dave has done, I personally find them dreadfully boring. (During competitions, I watch for the overall beauty of programs & don’t give a hoot about counting points.) I’ll stick to watching the weekly chit-chat summaries, replete with juicy gossip! Jonathan is fun and adds to the overall enjoyment of the hour.

I think Adam was the perfect student doing everything Raf wanted him to do to his abilities. I think Ashley was another story as she did not put in the practice and also the Skate America drama.

CaliSteve

She was never the same jumper that she was as a teenager. Apparently even Carroll's technique couldn't save her into adulthood, even if she belatedly received RA's help... He was an early Eteri, no?

I think it was her injuries that did her in the later years.

CaliSteve

So, as people have criticized Eteri, even Carroll's techniques couldn't save even Kwan from injuries. Interesting.

I think the injuries Michelle experienced were different then the Eteri skaters. Injuries happen to all skaters at one point but Eteri's skaters tend to have injuries that are more serious.

VGThuy

Kwan's technique did last into adulthood and even now:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-know-the-way-to-san-jose.101894/post-5145702

I mean this double axel:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ2NdmhBmVz/

is better than a lot of the ladies currently competing.

This triple toe ain't bad either for a 38-year-old:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdTeSE6DPwT/?taken-by=michellewkwan

And the rhythm and form of this double toe/double toe:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcsinpFD2Ia/?taken-by=michellewkwan

It's really beautiful to watch.

CaliSteve

Kwan's technique did last into adulthood and even now:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-know-the-way-to-san-jose.101894/post-5145702

I mean this double axel:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ2NdmhBmVz/

is better than a lot of the ladies currently competing.

This triple toe ain't bad either for a 38-year-old:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdTeSE6DPwT/?taken-by=michellewkwan

And the rhythm and form of this double toe/double toe:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcsinpFD2Ia/?taken-by=michellewkwan

It's really beautiful to watch.

Thanks for the links!!!

CaliSteve

Nothing is ever Raf’s fault.:rolleyes:

The skater doesn’t listen. The skater doesn’t practice. The skater’s parents interfere
:blah::blah::blah:

I wouldn’t let him near a young skater, especially any child of mine. I think he’s probably best with skaters who can push back, either adults or ones who know their own mind.....

Just how far can this thread drift in two pages, :lol:

I disagree and I would let my child train under him.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
^^^
Exactly. Adam did everything Raf told him to do?:rolleyes:Except losing weight because after all how can an elephant fly?

And nothing Mariah does is ever his fault because she’s old old old....:rolleyes:

I hate using this sexist term, but until Raf “mans up”, and admits that something, anything, is his fault or he could have done something better, well, he works well with those who can see through his BS. But no child should be expected to do that....

CaliSteve

^^^
Exactly. Adam did everything Raf told him to do?:rolleyes:Except losing weight because after all how can an elephant fly?

And nothing Mariah does is ever his fault because she’s old old old....:rolleyes:

I hate using this sexist term, but until Raf “mans up”, and admits that something, anything, is his fault or he could have done something better, well, he works well with those who can see through his BS. But no child should be expected to do that....

I never felt that Raf makes excuses or blames anyone but himself. I do think he tries to set expectations to his skaters and fans. I think his communications maybe taken out of context at times. Bottom line Adam was there to the end, he was with Raf longer then his previous coaches (except his first one) and Mariah is still there and improving her jump techniques.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
I never felt that Raf makes excuses or blames anyone but himself. I do think he tries to set expectations to his skaters and fans. I think his communications maybe taken out of context at times. Bottom line Adam was there to the end, he was with Raf longer then his previous coaches (except his first one) and Mariah is still there and improving her jump techniques.

And Raf was really the only one to get Adam's 3A consistent. Adam had a happy ending. I just wonder what was up with Ashley this time last year...

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Knowing that if I had a son who was a healthy weight with a lean muscular structure Raf would call him an elephant? I wouldn't let my child near him with a ten foot barge pole.
Oh my Heavens how furvently I have been praying for years hoping the lord would give my wife and me a Son who's healthy weight and lean muscles could be touched with a pole! I bet "Dave" feels the same way.

I don't know who Raf is but he sounds like he takes a mean Daddy "roll" with the skaters under neath him, not sure how I feel about that?

And Raf was really the only one to get Adam's 3A consistent. Adam had a happy ending.
Further more, I think many other men had a happy ending thank's to Adam and sometimes his skating. Amen!

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

He got that with Kwan. He’s noted in interviews how compliant and hardworking she was under his brief tutelage.
When Kwan joined Rafael she was already a champion and formed, the relationship was of an adviser/consultant. I was ref. to taking someone very young, building him/her from scratch, allowing Rafael teach as he did back in Russia, without restrictions of "western" practices and restrictions of "coach as an employee of skater's family" vs. creative Svengali.

peibeck

Simply looking
Also, hilariously, Dave Lease was defending his gossip about what Eteri is alleged to have said regarding Med. Unfortunately he gave two different versions- one in which Eteri told her to go and have have babies (the video with attention Haw), and one where it was the Russian Fed (the one with Meagan Duhamel). If you want to use allegations within a report, don't use two different versions, and then when it is pointed out act like you are being treated unfairly. It just points out who you really are- an unethical, gossiping amateur, who can't be bothered to get his facts right, and who will happily slander either a coach or a Fed in the process.

And this week he feels professional enough to discuss Gracie Gold's mental health with his know-it-all subtextal tone of "well we all know she's going to go to Russia and just bomb, so why is she evening bothering?"

Erm, maybe because it isn't all about what YOU think, Dave? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information