The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

Spun Silver

-------------

How Well Do Alex And Maia Shibutani Know South Korea? We Put Them To The Test: http://aplus.com/a/alex-maia-shibutani-south-korea-trivia?no_monetization=true
This is getting insane. Next they will be on CNN taking a test on which one has better advice for Pres. Trump's meeting with Kim Jung Il. Or on the Met Opera Quiz answering tricky questions about operatic siblings. :biggrinbo I can't decide whether they are more like Zelig, a meme or America's sweethearts.

LOVE the juice and cereal vid. That was me in the grocery store when I found Nathan Chen cornflakes. (I made my husband hunt for the Shib juice so no scene there.) All the socialing definitely paid off. Congrats, Maia (but Alex is not far behind).

Kuurisu

Olympic figure skating treasures Maia and Alex Shibutani open up about what it's really like to be a sibling team https://hellogiggles.com/news/shib-sibs-interview/

Maia: He has a great sense of humor, which I’m sure so many people appreciate, but sometimes I’m like, ‘Okay, okay, I get it, you’re funny.’:lol:
Obviously as we’ve gotten more intense with our skating careers there’s not always the opportunity to do that, but when Maia and I are on the road, unless we’re really sick of each other, we’ll eat meals together.
LMAOOOO

edit: this was great too
We don’t do that just because we’re a sibling team. We also utilize music that’s more contemporary and current, things that we connect to, because when we connect to what we’re doing that translates to an audience and the judges.
they aren't romantic because they have to, but because they don't desire to. there's a difference.

VGThuy

How Social Media Can Help Show What An Olympian Is Worth -- And Close The Gender Pay Gap
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanag...dia-to-close-the-gender-pay-gap/#2928e49c748f

Using its Hookit Valuation Methodology (HVM), the algorithm provides an earned media value (tangible dollar amount) to engagements by combing social interactions (likes, shares, comments and video views) with a content promotion quality score (size, clarity, position of logos), promotion type (hashtags or mentions), and an industry standard Cost Per Engagement (CPE).

During Pyeongchang 2018, Hookit found that Team USA's female athletes drove more social media engagements per athlete through the Olympics than Team USA's male athletes. While snowboarder Shaun White had the most engagements (11,805,104) of all athletes competing, the next three most engaging Team USA athletes on social media were all women – ice dancer Maia Shibutani (7,033,652), skier Lindsey Vonn (6,947,603) and snowboarder Chloe Kim (4,363,01).
-------------
I am not sure if I understood what (engaging) is, but it is cool that Maia got more than Lindsay and Chloe :lol:, and she is only behind of Shaun White :respec:

-------------

How Well Do Alex And Maia Shibutani Know South Korea? We Put Them To The Test: http://aplus.com/a/alex-maia-shibutani-south-korea-trivia?no_monetization=true

That's actually really interesting read (I ended up following the links to understand this algorithm better and reading that Ronoldo was underpaid was eye-opening). I'm really surprised that Maia ended up having the second most value of this past Winter Olympics ahead of Vonn and Chloe Kim.

chapis

Alex and Maia Shibutani on the Reality of Olympic Hookup Culture, Making Ice Dance History, and BTS
https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a19461188/alex-and-maia-shibutani-olympic-interview/

--------------

Cute article: In The Bustle Booth With Maia & Alex Shibutani https://www.bustle.com/p/in-the-bustle-booth-with-maia-alex-shibutani-8505915

Who is your ultimate idol?
Alex: Evan Chen or Maia Shibutani 💙

What is the most annoying thing your sibling has ever done or said to you?
Alex: You know I am right, Maia: pulled the older bro card :lol:

What is the weirdest thing you have read about yourself on the internet?
Alex: That I am a ¨DADDY¨ :rofl:

Maia continues obsessed with Marvel and it seems they really like tennis.

Mrs. P

Must be so fun to be back at TD Garden! That place has such good vibes for them — since they made the Olympic team in 2014 and ended their world medal drought in 2016!

SCeline

I am simply (as they say) SHOOK! My sense would be that most figure skating fans, have little to no idea who Zdena Chara is. He is an absolute ground breaking icon and legend. Captain of the Boston Bruins, has competed in 3 Olympics and probably close to a dozen NHL all-star games. Credited with the hardest shot in the game (clocked) and yes, he's 7 feet tall.

He is also a legend off the ice and this is where I had my "Ah hah!" moment and why I totally get why he and the Shibs simply click. Chara has been a real ground breaker in terms of making it in the NHL with his heritage, for being an athlete ambassador for global charitable causes including being one of the first to support organizations like YOU CAN PLAY which advocates for inclusion, in particular for gay athletes in hockey.
Chara. The Shibs. The classy, good sportsmanship citizens of the world, love, respect and "get" each other.

His comments in the Instagram post are to me, simply jaw dropping. He literally thanks Maia and Alex for "advice and tips" they gave him for becoming a better skater. WHAT?! I mean, holy crap! Guess Chara would agree with Sandra Bezic - Shibs know skating skills.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgjZs15FF2M/?taken-by=zeechara33

"zeechara33Pretty unique and familiar guests at the game last night. My dear friends @alexshibutani & @maiashibutaniwho always represent the United States so well. Congratulations on all of your success and achievements. So proud and happy for you both. Also thank you for giving me advice and tips to become a better skater, but mostly thank you for our friendship." He then posts it in his native language to share his happiness for his friends, Maia and Alex (our BABIES!) with his global fans. My siblings are big hockey fans so I'm literally having like a teary twitter fan girl "the best from two worlds colliding" moment.

Oh, and when they are standing at center court at the Boston Garden during the Celtics Game tonight, their thank you shout out is to Walter McCarty, Assistant Coach of the Celtics. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the invite from the Celtics was a way to thank the Shibs for giving the Celtics advice on how to be 'mentally stronger under immense pressure' or something like that, that Maia and Alex are simply world class at. Just a guess. ;)

Last edited:

chapis

I am simply having a "moment" with this one. My sense would be that most figure skating fans, have little to no idea who Zdena Chara is. He is an absolute ground breaking icon and legend. Captain of the Boston Bruins, has competed in 3 Olympics and probably close to a dozen NHL all-star games. Credited with the hardest shot in the game (clocked) and yes, he's 7 feet tall.

He is also a legend off the ice and this is where I had my "Ah hah!" moment and why I totally get why he and the Shibs simply click. Chara has been a real ground breaker, playing in the NHL with his heritage, for being an athlete ambassador for global charitable causes including being one of the first to support organizations like YOU CAN PLAY which advocates for inclusion, in particular for gay athletes in hockey.

Chara. The Shibs. The classy, good sportsmanship citizens of the world, love, respect and "get" each other.

His comments in the Instagram post are to me, simply jaw dropping. He literally thanks Maia and Alex for "advice and tips" they gave him for becoming a better skater. WHAT?! I mean, holy crap! Guess Chara would agree with Sandra Bezic - Shibs know skating skills.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgjZs15FF2M/?taken-by=zeechara33

"zeechara33Pretty unique and familiar guests at the game last night. My dear friends @alexshibutani & @maiashibutaniwho always represent the United States so well. Congratulations on all of your success and achievements. So proud and happy for you both. Also thank you for giving me advice and tips to become a better skater, but mostly thank you for our friendship." He then posts it in his native language to share his happiness for his friends, Maia and Alex (our BABIES!) with his global fans. As they say, I am shook.

Oh, and when they are standing at center court at the Boston Garden during the Celtics Game tonight, their thank you shout out is to Walter McCarty, Assistant Coach of the Celtics. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the invite from the Celtics was a way to thank the Shibs for giving the Celtics advice on how to be 'mentally stronger under immense pressure' or something else that Maia and Alex are simply world class at. Just a guess. ;)

Wow, thanks for the information. It is so nice from him to call them his friends because Alex totally idolizes him, and in several interviews, Maia says that Alex did not dare to ask him for an autograph the first time they saw him because he was so nervous to meet him :lol:.

Kuurisu

it's nice that maia went to the NBA with alex. she's said outside of ice skating she doesn't really like sports so she went just for him :)

chapis

I was looking for Arden on youtube because I saw that she is in this Chicago Med series, and the second thing that comes out when I put her name is Arden Cho Shibutani https://imgur.com/a/2jy0d, even before than Arden and Ryan Higa, It is official, Arden is the third ShibSib :rofl:. (By the way, if anyone knows any way to watch that TV show outside USA, maybe not so legal :shuffle:, please PM me)

Last edited:

VGThuy

I hope the Shibs are continuing because I already thought of a few ideas for the Broadway/Musical/Operetta rhythm dance for them.

VGThuy

Care to share them?
I thought it was Tango Romantica? Haven't been following the conversation closely.

Tango is next season. The season after is the Broadway one. I’ll give you my thoughts later tonight. Heading out to dinner and a play.

My craziest idea was for them to tackle the Boy George musical Taboo with the song “Everything Taboo”. Before you ask, it’s not a jukebox musical and contains almost all original music written for the show. I was just imagining Alex going all Leigh Bowery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information