The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

MRani

Omg, I disconnected a few hours and you begin to talk about possible retirement :wuzrobbed:scream:. For some reason I am very confident about they competing in Beijing :biggrinbo.

I don’t really think they’re retiring. I think they’re just acknowledging that a career in skating isn’t forever and they’re interested in laying the groundwork for what comes after.

VGThuy

https://youtu.be/RAjVq4zePc0

oh my God...i never heard maia say that, that people told them they shouldn't do it, but what's worse is that siblings shouldn't be a team! i would love to have some choice words with the people who told them that! how on earth could anyone even THINK that, siblings (when done right), are SOULMATES, these people just wanted to diminish their relationship with each other for sure.

see? now THIS is a good interview question. instead of race baiting and asking about their being discriminated or whatever, and if you are so focused on their being siblings, why has no-one asked about the discrimination that they have faced? instead they say "even though skating is romantic, the shibs find a way around it..." and ask how they achieved that. in the name of my favourite author, they are asking the wrong questions. they need to ask the gritty parts. what did you guys do when you faced horrible discrimination in the locker rooms with other skaters? did the negative pressure ever make you want to quit, even if it was a slight passing wish? what did you hold onto during those times? what is some advice that you can give to not only siblings but a couple who needs coping with their dreams? did you have any aloneless in your career, especially when you had just started in your careers and had so much pressure? how about someone be brave enough to ask at least some of these questions?

i'm sorry, i just went off there. but i just got so appalled by hearing what maia said what people told her and her brother. like what did they ever do to these people. they are not harming anyone. how could they say something so hurtful and damaging.

I'm having a hard time following your last post but the last few interviews they've done have been pretty substantive and every question you posed is something people have asked them to some degree and the Shibs have answered. That said, I understand your reaction after hearing Maia's voice in the above clip. At first I thought the audio was distorted to make it sound like she was crying because I've never seen or heard Maia be so emotional and open about people questioning their pairing and being told that they shouldn't be a team.

Unfortunately, I think if you want them to go deeper and account for every awful experience, then you're not going to get it because Shibs won't do that. They're not going to go too deeply talking about what other people have said to them or about them through the years that may have been negative or even extremely discriminatory because they rather not go there and possibly put people on the defensive.

Rather, they will touch upon it and paint the picture but move on. They will talk about various subjects like: not seeing too many Asian-Americans succeed in ice dance and talk about how important it is to have representation but leave it at that without needing to go further because they don't have to paint the worst story in the world because it probably didn't happen to the extreme levels people think needs to happen to have a story and every POC knows where they are coming from without the Shibs going into dramatics; how ice dance can be more than just a showcase of heteronormative lust/romance (not that there's anything wrong with that style in of itself) and think they said enough about it and that people will get it; how they believed in their partnership despite any doubters because they were siblings (they spoke about that so many times already but on a very respectful nice level); their thought process on how they create their programs; what they're inspired by; their outside interests; what they are interesting in experiencing outside of skating; etc.

ETA: What's also telling in that video too is when Alex said "I know no one expected it of us." Those quotes must have come right after the FD and the results because they sound really fresh and raw and the Shibs let those things out. Similar to Alex's twitter thread where he really touched upon their past experience and how much their success here meant to them.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I was just going to quote that line of Alex's. What, he doesn't read their fan threads? :drama: (Or listen to their Instagram and Twitter fans?) "The Shibs for all the medals!" to quote a certain somebody who spoke for all of us. But it shows how he felt and what the subtle or not so subtle pressure in the skating world must have been like for them. Every bit as hard as VGT has been saying for the past four or six years. If you want to address it directly, @Kuurisu, just read the regular ice dance threads here and respond to some of the folks there who can't wait till the Shibs are gone.

VGThuy

I just read the Daily Beast article, and I'm glad I did. I already am like the biggest fan of theirs but the fact that Maia loves Saoirse Ronan and Alex also loves Greta Gerwig forever puts them in my love pile. They GET it.

Spun Silver

What do they get? I have only the dimmest awareness of those names (since Oscars night, actually). And come on, they were already in your forever "love pile" (not sure I know what that that is either). :2faced:

VGThuy

They get brilliant filmmaking. ;) You know what a love pile is. It’s like a list of people and things you love.

Kuurisu

I'm having a hard time following your last post but the last few interviews they've done have been pretty substantive and every question you posed is something people have asked them to some degree and the Shibs have answered. That said, I understand your reaction after hearing Maia's voice in the above clip. At first I thought the audio was distorted to make it sound like she was crying because I've never seen or heard Maia be so emotional and open about people questioning their pairing and being told that they shouldn't be a team.

Unfortunately, I think if you want them to go deeper and account for every awful experience, then you're not going to get it because Shibs won't do that. They're not going to go too deeply talking about what other people have said to them or about them through the years that may have been negative or even extremely discriminatory because they rather not go there and possibly put people on the defensive.

Rather, they will touch upon it and paint the picture but move on. They will talk about various subjects like: not seeing too many Asian-Americans succeed in ice dance and talk about how important it is to have representation but leave it at that without needing to go further because they don't have to paint the worst story in the world because it probably didn't happen to the extreme levels people think needs to happen to have a story and every POC knows where they are coming from without the Shibs going into dramatics; how ice dance can be more than just a showcase of heteronormative lust/romance (not that there's anything wrong with that style in of itself) and think they said enough about it and that people will get it; how they believed in their partnership despite any doubters because they were siblings (they spoke about that so many times already but on a very respectful nice level); their thought process on how they create their programs; what they're inspired by; their outside interests; what they are interesting in experiencing outside of skating; etc.

ETA: What's also telling in that video too is when Alex said "I know no one expected it of us." Those quotes must have come right after the FD and the results because they sound really fresh and raw and the Shibs let those things out. Similar to Alex's twitter thread where he really touched upon their past experience and how much their success here meant to them.
well no, i wasn't really expecting them to go too much in the darker side of their career. as i said i mostly went off on a rant because of what those people told them. who knows maybe they could later in their dancing but not right now. they are still on their bronze winning high and i wouldn't want to take that away from them at all.

chapis

I would love the Shibs doing movies reviews in their vlogs. Though I dont share their love for superheros movies, ugh, probably I am old for that genere.

Sylvia

TBD
Vote for Maia/Alex, currently in the prestigious AAU Sullivan Award semifinal round! Link to the thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...semi-finalists-for-the-sullivan-award.103629/
You can vote once a day here [until 11:59 PM on March 20].

ETA:
If anyone DVRed Maia & Alex's appearance on the "Home & Family" show, let us know how they were :): http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family/tuesday-march-6th-2018
They're in Episode 6123 (U.S. TV authentication login required to watch): http://www.hallmarkchanneleverywhere.com/#/Home+&+Family/6123
They first show up around the 1:45 minute mark holding shelter dogs for adoption and then were interviewed for about 8 minutes starting around 6:20. Later, they were seated at the counter with others eating a delicious-looking crab cakes & corn dish. :)

Last edited:

VGThuy

The Shibs got a mention last night on the Jimmy Kimmel show during Andy Samberg's appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmU93PeOWR0

Jimmy even had a framed photo of their pic with Samberg at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party. Samberg calling them "the sexy sibs" obviously made a few people there uncomfortable as the words "sexy" and "sibs" don't seem like they should go together even though it makes for a nice alliteration.

Kuurisu

Jimmy even had a framed photo of their pic with Samberg at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party. Samberg calling them "the sexy sibs" obviously made a few people there uncomfortable as the words "sexy" and "sibs" don't seem like they should go together even though it makes for a nice alliteration.
again with the terror of incest. my brother has started work recently and he has co-worker friends and me and my family met them last week. he plays games with one of his co-worker friends when he's at home and a few days ago was one of those times. we were chatting with him on the speaker when his friend asked "So is your sister still in your room?" and he said yes, that she spends most of her time in her brothers' room, and she even sleeps in it. then his friend goes "WHAT?!?" and me and my brother rolled our eyes and he said "Yeah well you know, incest is wincest and all." we always joke around like that around others because it makes them uncomfortable, to point out just how silly they are. we aren't the ones making things uncomfortable, it's them. they are the one perverting things up. it just shows just how much sex is on people's minds. like take a chill pill everyone. understand context. no-one is supporting incest, calm down FPS.
-------
anyway i came here to say that i saw a tumblr post and their page was named "The Third Shib Sib" and i find that so cute! i'm jealous i didn't think of it, lol.

chapis

-------
anyway i came here to say that i saw a tumblr post and their page was named "The Third Shib Sib" and i find that so cute! i'm jealous i didn't think of it, lol.

The first time I read about the third ShiSib was with Arden, more than 1 year ago because they were always together and she really treat them like a sister. So people started to call her the third ShibSib

Last edited:

MRani

chapis

It's great that they get involved in that kind of subjects being so young, it seems to me that their parents instilled them always that they are role models and that they can make a greater contribution to society from where they are. And out of this participation, I feel that their whole career they have promoted gender equality a lot, I remember that years ago, Alex said that even though she was his little sister, he saw her as his equal, and to this day they continue saying the same.
Maia reminds me of Mao, when someone interviews them on a serious topic, they are so proper :glamor:.

Alex and Maia play "Who Knows Who Best?" for Elle magazine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqcPd8OTDGM

Maia chose Slytherin? :eek::drama::lol:, And then we found out that Maia is good at doing impressions. Too bad she did not want to do it in the video :(.

-------------

when do you think we will know if they are going to compete for the next season?, because I want to buy tickets for 4cc but only if they will be there. Maybe in May, that's when SOI ends.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Ahem...I'm a Slytherin...at least that's what Pottermore told me. I've grown quite fond of that status actually.

MRani

Pottermore told me I was a Slytherin too, when I took their little quiz years ago. To this day I’m not convinced it actually fits, but I’ll take it though, it’s a badass house :respec:

chapis

How Social Media Can Help Show What An Olympian Is Worth -- And Close The Gender Pay Gap
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanag...dia-to-close-the-gender-pay-gap/#2928e49c748f

Using its Hookit Valuation Methodology (HVM), the algorithm provides an earned media value (tangible dollar amount) to engagements by combing social interactions (likes, shares, comments and video views) with a content promotion quality score (size, clarity, position of logos), promotion type (hashtags or mentions), and an industry standard Cost Per Engagement (CPE).

During Pyeongchang 2018, Hookit found that Team USA's female athletes drove more social media engagements per athlete through the Olympics than Team USA's male athletes. While snowboarder Shaun White had the most engagements (11,805,104) of all athletes competing, the next three most engaging Team USA athletes on social media were all women – ice dancer Maia Shibutani (7,033,652), skier Lindsey Vonn (6,947,603) and snowboarder Chloe Kim (4,363,01).
-------------
I am not sure if I understood what (engaging) is, but it is cool that Maia got more than Lindsay and Chloe :lol:, and she is only behind of Shaun White :respec:

-------------

How Well Do Alex And Maia Shibutani Know South Korea? We Put Them To The Test: http://aplus.com/a/alex-maia-shibutani-south-korea-trivia?no_monetization=true

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information