The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

MRani

I don't know if this tweet from Kristyn Burtt was posted here. She's a correspondent on the Dance Network and used to host a Dancing With The Stars after show:

[B]Kristyn Burtt šŸ’ƒšŸ¼[/B]ā€Verified account @[B]KristynBurtt[/B]

I love all of our figure skating Olympians, but there is something so special about the #ShibSibs.

I root for them extra hard every time.

Congrats on your medal. You make us all so proud!

See you on #DWTS

https://twitter.com/KristynBurtt/status/965847655489224705

At first I was wondering if she let the cat out of the bag or something but then I saw those emojis that imply sheā€™s hoping/praying they end up on the show. So not confirmation of anything but so so cool that theyā€™re getting all this love and support!

Spun Silver

The Watch interview was wonderful. I did appreciate the different questions. It did feel like a meeting of the minds, which was part of what made it wonderful.

I cannot keep up with all the new Shibs content. This is a bit unreal. They are really battling it out with Adam Rippon for all the interviews. Also, is it me or does anyone feel like the Shibs (and Adam too, actually) is getting more post-Olympic attention then even Meryl and Charlie despite the latter winning OGM? I feel like Meryl and Charlie got most bang for their buck internationally with all the shows and other things.

Maybe it's that Adam and the Shibs are more media savvy for that U.S. audience perhaps?
I think all their social media work has paid off. They have a following and know what they want to say and how they what to say it. Plus, they are a bit different, and incredibly attractive, mature, funny and articulate. The media is going to town with the sibling angle. I feel sorry that Maia and Alex keep getting the same questions over and over but man, are they handling it and playing the sib games like champs.

Personally I think the media might be getting a little tired of the "sassy figure skater" act. How many sassy figure skaters does America want to watch? Thank heavens the Shibs are doing something different.

Kuurisu

I think all their social media work has paid off. They have a following and know what they want to say and how they what to say it. Plus, they are a bit different, and incredibly attractive, mature, funny and articulate. The media is going to town with the sibling angle. I feel sorry that Maia and Alex keep getting the same questions over and over but man, are they handling it and playing the sib games like champs.

Personally I think the media might be getting a little tired of the "sassy figure skater" act. How many sassy figure skaters does America want to watch? Thank heavens the Shibs are doing something different.
that's rather funny what you said about the sassiness, but what do you mean by it? are there any skaters you can bring up when talking about sassiness?

VGThuy

New feature from Player's Tribune, Maia and Alex play the "Shiblings Game":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsLdqkqa_4

:lol: at the answer to the first question about which one has the weirder pre-competition routine. Maia talks about her lying down before a performance, which the cameras caught during the Olympics. 9 seasons of watching them and that was the first time I saw Maia just lie seriously still on the ground waiting for their turn to perform.

chapis

New feature from Player's Tribune, Maia and Alex play the "Shiblings Game":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsLdqkqa_4

:lol: at the answer to the first question about which one has the weirder pre-competition routine. Maia talks about her lying down before a performance, which the cameras caught during the Olympics. 9 seasons of watching them and that was the first time I saw Maia just lie seriously still on the ground waiting for their turn to perform.

I had no idea that she does that either. I can't see the video now, did she explain why she does it?

Spun Silver

I had no idea that she does that either. I can't see the video now, did she explain why she does it?
She was very vague. Alex said it was a form of meditation. I can't believe she does that in her beautiful dresses. You would think they would have big wet spots on them! She must use a yoga mat or something.

I would think Alex would have a million people crushing on him by now. :swoon: Maia too, although that interview where Alex said guys interested in dating her would have to go through him first and it could be a 20-year vetting process could be a bit scary. :biggrinbo

chapis

She was very vague. Alex said it was a form of meditation. I can't believe she does that in her beautiful dresses. You would think they would have big wet spots on them! She must use a yoga mat or something.

I would think Alex would have a million people crushing on him by now. :swoon: Maia too, although that interview where Alex said guys interested in dating her would have to go through him first and it could be a 20-year vetting process could be a bit scary. :biggrinbo

I think that is the reason why they looked so confused when the other girl asked them who of them was the most likely to go to a blind date or something similar. Come on, they have zero need of a blind date :lol:

MRani

So Iā€™ve realized that the Olympic channel still has videos and replays of the figure skating events on their website. When you go there, they have featured standalone videos of the gold, silver, and bronze medal free programs of every event and then full replays of the entire short program and free skate event. That is, for every discipline except ice dance, which has videos for the gold medal, silver medal, and 9th place free dances. Why?? I donā€™t understand. :huh:

At least the full replays are there but itā€™s annoying to have to navigate through them to watch Maia and Alex.

chapis

So Iā€™ve realized that the Olympic channel still has videos and replays of the figure skating events on their website. When you go there, they have featured standalone videos of the gold, silver, and bronze medal free programs of every event and then full replays of the entire short program and free skate event. That is, for every discipline except ice dance, which has videos for the gold medal, silver medal, and 9th place free dances. Why?? I donā€™t understand. :huh:

At least the full replays are there but itā€™s annoying to have to navigate through them to watch Maia and Alex.

Becuase they are inept people :wall:. Same with NBC who didnĀ“t upload the FD of Maia and Alex while that fancam video has almost 400,000 views. I think each broadcaster can choose according to a personal taste, our broadcaster has also their YT page and Shibs FD was the only FD that they uploaded full, they uploaded only 3min of the other programs and while I am happy that they uploaded Shibs exhibition full too, they did not upload V/M ex, P/C and Yuzuru ex at all, I mean, it is common sense, if you upload something, chose the first places, right?, I mean, no Yuzuru? :duh:, at least the videos of the competition, the exhibition could be more understandable, but it seems who chose them, was very enamored with Maia and Alex. It was not fair, but in my mind, it compensates a little the stupidity of NBC.

Last edited:

MRani

Becuase they are inept people :wall:. Same with NBC who didnĀ“t upload the FD of Maia and Alex while that fancam video has almost 400,000 views. I think each broadcaster can choose according to a personal taste, our broadcaster has also their YT page and Shibs FD was the only FD that they uploaded full, they uploaded only 3min of the other programs and while I am happy that they uploaded Shibs exhibition full too, they did not upload V/M ex, P/C and Yuzuru ex at all, I mean, it is common sense, if you upload something, chose the first places, right?, I mean, no Yuzuru? :duh:, at least the videos of the competition, the exhibition could be more understandable, but it seems who chose them, was very enamored with Maia and Alex. It was not fair, but in my mind, it compensates a little the stupidity of NBC.

I find it both funny and frustrating that they chose to upload places 1-3 for literally everyone except ice dance, where they inexplicably uploaded 9th place instead of 3rd. They had their choice of 3 American teams to show the world, and instead of choosing the one that won the bronze medal or the one that came in 4th they chose the one with the most disastrous performance (no shade to C/B, I felt terrible for them). Itā€™s just...really??

At least your broadcasters appreciate Maia and Alex, lol :lol:

chapis

I find it both funny and frustrating that they chose to upload places 1-3 for literally everyone except ice dance, where they inexplicably uploaded 9th place instead of 3rd. They had their choice of 3 American teams to show the world, and instead of choosing the one that won the bronze medal or the one that came in 4th they chose the one with the most disastrous performance (no shade to C/B, I felt terrible for them). Itā€™s just...really??

At least your broadcasters appreciate Maia and Alex, lol :lol:

Agree, it seems that people like to see the suffering of other people, so they knew that people were interested in seeing the disaster of C/B. If H/D had had the FD that they had at Worlds 2017, they would have been quite a hit too :fragile:, their errors in the Olympics were a little more discreet for the casual fan.

chapis

Interesting interview:
The 'Shib Sibs' Talk Asian Representation, Stereotypes And K-Pop: https://www.huffingtonpost.com.mx/entry/shib-sibs-asian-k-pop-olympics_us_5a9dbd19e4b0479c02562672

Would you rather be thought of as a team? Do you feel there is almost too much attention on the fact that youā€™re the brother-and-sister skaters, as opposed to the fact that youā€™re this medal-winning team? Do you think thatā€™s fair?

Maia: During the Olympics, I think there was a lot of attention put on the fact that Alex and I are siblings. And since we were the only sibling team competing in ice dance or pairs, thatā€™s just kind of inevitable. We wouldnā€™t have been able to get those two Olympic medals if it werenā€™t for the relationship that we had.

Alex: I couldnā€™t do it without her. You need me, too, supposedly.

Maia: Yes, yes.

Alex: Weā€™ve got this nickname, the ā€œShib Sibs,ā€ and itā€™s gotten a lot of attention over the past few weeks, after the Games and during the Games, just because itā€™s an interesting dynamic. Not everyone has the opportunity to work with family or with a sibling. I donā€™t feel like anyoneā€™s disregarding our accomplishments or taking away what weā€™ve done as athletes. Itā€™s just interesting.

Maia: Thereā€™s something extra thatā€™s interesting.

Alex: Yeah, weā€™re extra. (laughs)

The media likes to stereotype Asian skaters as being good at the sport because of having a ā€œTiger mom,ā€ because of being lightweight and other reasons. Do you think those stereotypes take away from your own hard work and achievement?

Alex: I believe that stereotypes are a load of crap. Uh, supposedly Iā€™m supposed to be good at math and science.

Maia: He isnā€™t.

Alex: I was terrible at math and science. I think that if you are a human being on this planet, you can be good at whatever you want to do. And for us, that was ice dancing, that was figure skating. And weā€™re passionate about it, and so we worked really hard, and it takes hard work. But you can do whatever you want.

--------------

Alex And Maia Shibutani's Advice To Up-And-Coming Athletes Is Something To Take To Heart
"There is no easy way to accomplish your dreams.":http://aplus.com/a/alex-maia-shibutani-advice-young-athletes?no_monetization=true

-----------
Exh fancam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ01gymZTfc

-----------

How the Shib Sibs Make Sibling Ice Dancing Not Creepy: https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-the-shib-sibs-make-sibling-ice-dancing-not-creepy?ref=scroll

Last edited:

chapis

Last edited:

Kuurisu

Haha. Johnny, Tara, Ashley, Adam and now Mirai.
ah you are right about mirai and adam. i see now. thank you.

when my 15yr old sister expressed a desire to have a boyfriend, i must say the simple thought of it made my blood boil. i was overcome with an uncontrolled feeling of murder and fury to her non existent boyfriend. i wanted to run over to her and cry and shake her arms and say, "WHY DO YOU WANT A BOYFRIEND?!?!? AM I NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!?!? IS MY LOVE NOT ENOUGH?!? HE WILL NEVER LOVE YOU AS I CAN, HE WILL NOT LOVE YOU FOREVER, I WILL!!!"

Interesting interview:
The 'Shib Sibs' Talk Asian Representation, Stereotypes And K-Pop: https://www.huffingtonpost.com.mx/entry/shib-sibs-asian-k-pop-olympics_us_5a9dbd19e4b0479c02562672

Would you rather be thought of as a team? Do you feel there is almost too much attention on the fact that youā€™re the brother-and-sister skaters, as opposed to the fact that youā€™re this medal-winning team? Do you think thatā€™s fair?

Maia: During the Olympics, I think there was a lot of attention put on the fact that Alex and I are siblings. And since we were the only sibling team competing in ice dance or pairs, thatā€™s just kind of inevitable. We wouldnā€™t have been able to get those two Olympic medals if it werenā€™t for the relationship that we had.

Alex: I couldnā€™t do it without her. You need me, too, supposedly.

Maia: Yes, yes.

Alex: Weā€™ve got this nickname, the ā€œShib Sibs,ā€ and itā€™s gotten a lot of attention over the past few weeks, after the Games and during the Games, just because itā€™s an interesting dynamic. Not everyone has the opportunity to work with family or with a sibling. I donā€™t feel like anyoneā€™s disregarding our accomplishments or taking away what weā€™ve done as athletes. Itā€™s just interesting.

Maia: Thereā€™s something extra thatā€™s interesting.

Alex: Yeah, weā€™re extra. (laughs)

The media likes to stereotype Asian skaters as being good at the sport because of having a ā€œTiger mom,ā€ because of being lightweight and other reasons. Do you think those stereotypes take away from your own hard work and achievement?

Alex: I believe that stereotypes are a load of crap. Uh, supposedly Iā€™m supposed to be good at math and science.

Maia: He isnā€™t.

Alex: I was terrible at math and science. I think that if you are a human being on this planet, you can be good at whatever you want to do. And for us, that was ice dancing, that was figure skating. And weā€™re passionate about it, and so we worked really hard, and it takes hard work. But you can do whatever you want.

--------------

Alex And Maia Shibutani's Advice To Up-And-Coming Athletes Is Something To Take To Heart
"There is no easy way to accomplish your dreams.":http://aplus.com/a/alex-maia-shibutani-advice-young-athletes?no_monetization=true

-----------
Exh fancam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ01gymZTfc

-----------

How the Shib Sibs Make Sibling Ice Dancing Not Creepy: https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-the-shib-sibs-make-sibling-ice-dancing-not-creepy?ref=scroll
sorry but i refuse to read anything by huffpost nowadays especially with their shameless race baiting. they think they're so new and fresh with their questions when alex has already stated how much they care about race and alex has gracefully avoided it many times. i may read the other article though.

chapis

ah you are right about mirai and adam. i see now. thank you.

when my 15yr old sister expressed a desire to have a boyfriend, i must say the simple thought of it made my blood boil. i was overcome with an uncontrolled feeling of murder and fury to her non existent boyfriend. i wanted to run over to her and cry and shake her arms and say, "WHY DO YOU WANT A BOYFRIEND?!?!? AM I NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!?!? IS MY LOVE NOT ENOUGH?!? HE WILL NEVER LOVE YOU AS I CAN, HE WILL NOT LOVE YOU FOREVER, I WILL!!!"

sorry but i refuse to read anything by huffpost nowadays especially with their shameless race baiting. they think they're so new and fresh with their questions when alex has already stated how much they care about race and alex has gracefully avoided it many times. i may read the other article though.

Really? :confused: the Shibs themselves have talked about being different in ice dance (including race), I donĀ“t think they have been avoiding the topic. I think they have made it clear that it is not something that defines or obsesses them but they definitely give it the necessary importance.

Spun Silver

I thought that was what @Kuurisu meant. That Alex has expressed the subject in his own way and doesn't plan to get derailed by any purely political agenda. They are making their point but in their own autobiographical and "respectful" way, as VGT says.

I hope your sister can have a love life eventually, @Kuurisu. :rofl:

VGThuy

I was going to say something about the characterizations of race discussions, but I think itā€™s better if we keep this thread positive about the Shibs.

Kuurisu

I thought that was what @Kuurisu meant. That Alex has expressed the subject in his own way and doesn't plan to get derailed by any purely political agenda. They are making their point but in their own autobiographical and "respectful" way, as VGT says.

I hope your sister can have a love life eventually, @Kuurisu. :rofl:
yeah that's what i meant, thanks^^

NO I WILL NEVER LET HER LOVE ANYONE BUT ME ;( ;( ;( ;(

Spun Silver

This quote from the "Not Creepy" article (post 283) made me a little anxious as an answer to the Q "what's next?" But I am trying to put it in the context of their "we're still young" comments in relation to 2022.
ā€œIā€™m very confident that weā€™re not going to be skaters forever,ā€ Alex says when I ask about whatā€™s next. ā€œThereā€™s an athleteā€™s life time table, so to speak. So weā€™re going to be able to take these skills into whatever we want to do next.ā€

VGThuy

I have a feeling theyā€™d be more inclined to commit to 2022 if they werenā€™t so aware of what the judges were trying to do to them from 2017 Worlds to the Olympics. It was so obvious that there were even a good amount of negative reactions to their scores expressed by Olympic viewers who have never seen them before that it was ridiculous.

MRani

I have a feeling theyā€™d be more inclined to commit to 2022 if they werenā€™t so aware of what the judges were trying to do to them from 2017 Worlds to the Olympics. It was so obvious that there were even a good amount of negative reactions to their scores expressed by Olympic viewers who have never seen them before that it was ridiculous.

Yep. Even the commentators during the team event mentioned the audible groans in the crowd once their FD scores came up. The judges definitely tried to push them down but the Shibs just skated too well to be dropped. It mustā€™ve been upsetting and frustrating for them, but at the same time, I can imagine the fact that they prevailed anyway and won a medal against those kinds of odds also gave them a lot of confidence in their own abilities going forward.

Not just any team can succeed against circumstances like that. Other teams had doors opened for them and even then couldnā€™t always walk through them. Maia and Alex have always had to make their own doors.

Dobre

I think Maia & Alex will decide their futures based upon what they want to do with them.

Not on judging. No one really thinks the Shibs will get out early because they have to. People think they may get out early because they have other goals and interests and because they reached a major skating goal at the Olympics.

There's no shame in that.

There's also no reason to believe this is as far as they can go in ice dance.

Maia & Alex opened the door at the GPF and Nationals. They lost their #1 ranking and had to deal with the fallout on the panel.

They dealt.

We all sit through a LOT of competitions during the year where athletes don't. Where they can't fight their way back. Where they muck up & have to count on the panel to save them. And where they are usurped by up & comers with more skill & ability.

Not many prove they can medal at the World & Olympic level three seasons in a row.

In U.S. Figure Skating this quadrennium, there are only two. Maia & Alex Shibutani.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I do think Alex and Maia are so talented and maybe curious and hungry to experience new things that outside opportunities may prove too be too enticing for them to pass up. It's up to Alex to decide if he wants to spend the last years of his twenties to skating or if he's ready to move on. I'm not saying Maia's future in the competitive part of the sport is up to Alex because she may be the one who wants to explore new things as well and devote her energies to it, but I do think if one of them decides to leave, they both will because they both have said they won't skate with other people. A part of me thinks that may change if one leaves but the other realizes they are seriously not ready to move on, but who knows. Whatever happens, the next few months will be very interesting to observe as a fan and maybe even years if they decide to make a come back even after missing a season or two.

chapis

Omg, I disconnected a few hours and you begin to talk about possible retirement :wuzrobbed:scream:. For some reason I am very confident about they competing in Beijing :biggrinbo.

Kuurisu

https://youtu.be/RAjVq4zePc0

oh my God...i never heard maia say that, that people told them they shouldn't do it, but what's worse is that siblings shouldn't be a team! i would love to have some choice words with the people who told them that! how on earth could anyone even THINK that, siblings (when done right), are SOULMATES, these people just wanted to diminish their relationship with each other for sure.

see? now THIS is a good interview question. instead of race baiting and asking about their being discriminated or whatever, and if you are so focused on their being siblings, why has no-one asked about the discrimination that they have faced? instead they say "even though skating is romantic, the shibs find a way around it..." and ask how they achieved that. in the name of my favourite author, they are asking the wrong questions. they need to ask the gritty parts. what did you guys do when you faced horrible discrimination in the locker rooms with other skaters? did the negative pressure ever make you want to quit, even if it was a slight passing wish? what did you hold onto during those times? what is some advice that you can give to not only siblings but a couple who needs coping with their dreams? did you have any aloneless in your career, especially when you had just started in your careers and had so much pressure? how about someone be brave enough to ask at least some of these questions?

i'm sorry, i just went off there. but i just got so appalled by hearing what maia said what people told her and her brother. like what did they ever do to these people. they are not harming anyone. how could they say something so hurtful and damaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information