The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

suki

Maybe this would be the best time for the Shibs to retire. They just had their great Olympics and achieved their lifelong dream of making the podium (twice!) and, with P/C likely staying in, it's highly doubtful they would ever beat them. They are both intelligent people in their twenties with college educations and they have endeared themselves to America... maybe it's the perfect time to move on to the next chapter of their lives.

Obviously, they will do what they want to do. Just sayin'...
You never know when the bloom may be off the P/C rose. Ice dance judges are notoriously fickle.

MRani

That Build Series interview was one of their best. Alex is really coming alive in these social engagements. I loved their answer to the audience member's question about whether they ever fought right before a competition and skated angry.

Hey if we’re ever worried about them skating well in the future some Shibsquad spy should go and start a fight between them lol. :p

It really was a great interview. The questions were thoughtful and different from the typical boring ones they’ve had to answer so far. Maia is a great speaker but Alex is a total natural in this format. He’s quick witted and funny and makes it that extra level of enjoyable to watch.

Cayuse

That Build Series interview was one of their best. Alex is really coming alive in these social engagements. I loved their answer to the audience member's question about whether they ever fought right before a competition and skated angry.
So nice to have the host ask a few different questions to Maia and Alex and he made a point of letting Maia answer some questions first. Very enjoyable interview. They must have been running from one NY building to another to make all of these recent interviews!

We have enjoyed the Shibs for so long--two Olympic quads as seniors--that it will be major withdrawal for a lot of us when they stop competing. They reached their goal, they skated their best at all four events and it was glorious! I'm so happy for them as they are being treated as royally as if they had a gold medal in their possession. They have not had time to reset their goals as they are enjoying the moment and are welcoming ALL opportunities. I feel they are very much looking forward to new challenges for their future. They are so public I don't think we'll lose track of them after the Stars on Ice Tour. (I plan to see them in Portland, OR!) Wishing them both all the best in whatever they decide to do.

Mrs. P

Somebody tweeted that they said they wouldn't be upset that the Shibs retired because they've been "all about them" since winning their medals in their interviews and that they haven't bothered to say how proud of they are of the team/team medal or wish other skaters well.

Uh seriously
1.) That's not even true. The Shibs has tweeted how much it has meant to them to be part of the team. Not to mention gave shoutouts to not only other skaters but other winter athletes.
2.) And why shouldn't they be proud of themselves?

Oh well. People are silly.

MRani

Somebody tweeted that they said they wouldn't be upset that the Shibs retired because they've been "all about them" since winning their medals in their interviews and that they haven't bothered to say how proud of they are of the team/team medal or wish other skaters well.

Uh seriously
1.) That's not even true. The Shibs has tweeted how much it has meant to them to be part of the team. Not to mention gave shoutouts to not only other skaters but other winter athletes.

Lemme at em. I will make a Twitter account just to thoroughly school them on all the reasons they’re wrong :revenge:

But really, just sounds like more sour grapes. These people really have to grasp at straws, don’t they?

VGThuy

Uh seriously

That person would criticize them no matter what they did. In the end, it's really who cares? We all learned long ago that those people were out there and it comes from a place of bitterness and envy. Those people don't matter and never will and they know it so it feeds their hate. During the Olympics and after when I've read some of the other, non-skating fans types who criticized them, I realized that they are seriously stupid. I'm not just saying that because they criticized the Shibs but their thought process and ability to understand and comprehend things was seriously some of the most idiotic things I've read. Luckily, those negative things are drowned out by all the positivity and good will that they have overwhelmingly received.

chapis

Uh seriously

Maia and Alex are the only ones without need to talk about the Team medals because they were the only americans to medal in the individual competition, but even like that, IMO, they are who talk more about the team event, plus they carry the 4 medals everywhere, and you can go to the instagram of all the american skaters who participated in the Team Event and you can see how many pictures of all the Team members they posted, I mean, there are people who didn´t bother on posting a picture with all the Team members, while Maia and Alex posted more than one. And the pictures that some of their teammates posted are the ones that Maia and Alex took.

clairecloutier

I selfishly hope the Shibs don't retire, simply because I want to see more programs from them. I feel like there is still much more they can explore and do artistically. But, I will totally understand if they do retire, because they've been doing this for a long time and they may be ready for new challenges. Either way, I of course wish them the best!

Bellanca

Uh seriously

Great post.

The degree to which people have been so vocally over-the-top and emotionally invested in this quad’s figure skaters and ice dancers has been unsettling.

I’ve seen a lot of thin-skinned reactions from fans that are taking every little mannerism or comment from the athletes themselves, etc. very personally, especially re Maia and Alex in the ice dance discipline. I just shake my head and move on from it, that is all a person can really do when fans practically root for or wish ill will to an athlete through retirement or via meltdowns during competition.

Sometimes a fan or a detractor’s zeal can get seriously out of hand.

Obviously, and unless one has been living under a rock, it is clear that Maia and Alex are very approachable, lovely people. They have never displayed the attention-seeking behavior in the manner suggested by that person you’ve alluded to in your post.

Spouting nonsense, ridiculous comments or behaving controversially to create unnecessary drama and to bring attention to themselves is not how the Shibs roll, but people will choose to see what they want to see.

Sylvia

TBD

Mrs. P

That person would criticize them no matter what they did. In the end, it's really who cares? We all learned long ago that those people were out there and it comes from a place of bitterness and envy. Those people don't matter and never will and they know it so it feeds their hate. During the Olympics and after when I've read some of the other, non-skating fans types who criticized them, I realized that they are seriously stupid. I'm not just saying that because they criticized the Shibs but their thought process and ability to understand and comprehend things was seriously some of the most idiotic things I've read. Luckily, those negative things are drowned out by all the positivity and good will that they have overwhelmingly received.

I don't care as much that I was just kinda taken aback honestly. It was such a strange comment because basically it was a response who sincerely asked whether they were going to retire. So it didn't really answer the question but just gave this person a chance to rant.

Great post.

The degree to which people have been so vocally over-the-top and emotionally invested in this quad’s figure skaters and ice dancers has been unsettling.

I’ve seen a lot of thin-skinned reactions from fans that are taking every little mannerism or comment from the athletes themselves, etc. very personally, especially re Maia and Alex in the ice dance discipline. I just shake my head and move on from it, that is all a person can really do when fans practically root for or wish ill will to an athlete through retirement or via meltdowns during competition.

Sometimes a fan or a detractor’s zeal can get seriously out of hand.

Obviously, and unless one has been living under a rock, it is clear that Maia and Alex are very approachable, lovely people. They have never displayed the attention-seeking behavior in the manner suggested by that person you’ve alluded to in your post.

Spouting nonsense, ridiculous comments or behaving controversially to create unnecessary drama and to bring attention to themselves is not how the Shibs roll, but people will choose to see what they want to see.

Yeah, I think that's partially why I was taken aback. I was thinking like "what have you seen that you came to such a weird conclusion?" I think the Shibs have talked all over the place about others and how other aspects of the Olympic season, such as mentoring those Korean students and being part of the Team Event, have meant to them. They've had a generally positive vibe about the Olympic movement and if they've talked about themselves a lot, it's not in the spirit of "Oh look how great we are!" but rather "We're proud that our work can inspire others."

Regarding your other comments, that's why I think we're so low-key chill here. I actually go out of my way to emphasize that Maia and Alex have TOUGH competition at home and that H/D and C/B have key strengths that matter.

Kuurisu

Yes, all of that could be a problem but I think the biggest problem is their busy schedule. They travel a lot and when they are at home they are training on and off the ice, and after training, usually they are working on their music and they maintain contact with all their collaborators. I guess something informal is the best in that case, that the person can´t demand much time.

No wonder why many relationships in figure skating are between partners or between figure skaters, choreographers, training mates, I guess they are more comprehensive with their busy schedule and travels.
haha that's true, why didn't i think the obvious LMAO

aftershocks

Banned Member
Here's the AOL Build interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_BXg7BUtoE :cool:

Uh seriously
2.) And why shouldn't they be proud of themselves? Oh well. People are silly.

Straight-up koo-koo. :duh: Maia & Alex are the bestest teammates evah! And they don't have to go around bowin' and scrapin' to prove it. That critique is like so many dump-worthy, trollish gripin' about the Sublime Shibutani Sibs. Put that gripe in the dumpster, move on and don't give it a second thought.

Last edited:

SCeline

From NY to LA! Maia and Alex, enjoying the ride, "doing" the Academy Awards!

Instagram post from actress Camilla Belle
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf5S5k8lt8R/?tagged=shibsibs

I'm guessing this was either at Saturday's Spirit Awards (independent film) show or one of the major studio Pre-Oscars parties. Going to be hunting for more photos, though the challenge is many of these events have these weird "no photography" rules inside the events. At least, that's my own understanding from experience with Tony Awards events, though these rules are really hard to enforce.

Last year Maia had such a gorgeous red dress and Alex looked super sharp at the LaLa Land Oscars party. I am going to bet that their sponsor Ralph Lauren is "dressing" them again this year.

Kuurisu

Here's the AOL Build interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_BXg7BUtoE :cool:

Straight-up koo-koo. :duh: Maia & Alex are the bestest teammates evah! And they don't have to go around bowin' and scrapin' to prove it. That critique is like so many dump-worthy, trollish gripin' about the Sublime Shibutani Sibs. Put that gripe in the dumpster, move on and don't give it a second thought.
this gets on my nerves. because we don't hear any crap like this with any other skaters (at least i haven't), why do people think want to separate them so much? do they really doubt that siblings can be as connected, even more so, than regular partners?

chapis

From NY to LA! Maia and Alex, enjoying the ride, "doing" the Academy Awards!

Instagram post from actress Camilla Belle
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf5S5k8lt8R/?tagged=shibsibs

I'm guessing this was either at Saturday's Spirit Awards (independent film) show or one of the major studio Pre-Oscars parties. Going to be hunting for more photos, though the challenge is many of these events have these weird "no photography" rules inside the events. At least, that's my own understanding from experience with Tony Awards events, though these rules are really hard to enforce.

Last year Maia had such a gorgeous red dress and Alex looked super sharp at the LaLa Land Oscars party. I am going to bet that their sponsor Ralph Lauren is "dressing" them again this year.

I guess it was the Spirit Awards because Alex liked this https://twitter.com/kumailn/status/970147183457574913

DreamsofBliss

VGThuy

is that a reference to anything recent or the same old same old?

Same old same old what? Anyway, I took it to be a play from a line from Black Panther that was similar except the movie said walls instead or borders and was worded differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information