The proposed changes to the scoring system: for or against?

Are you for or against the proposed changes to the scoring system?

• For

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Against

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seerek

breaking into a technical and artistic program ?
just like shyncro swimming..... :shuffle:

Interestingly, separate medals are handed out for both the synchro technical and free routines at Worlds but not Olympics.

It would interesting to see the judges instructional video explaining/demonstrating -5 to +5 GOE should the spectrum be widened. I know that in the early days of IJS, judges were reluctant to go too far outside the -1 to +1 range.

Vagabond

As another user stated upthread, figure skating is the combination of athleticism and artistry..

Ah, yes.

Since at least as early as the 1960 season, skaters have received two sets of marks for Free Skating, with the second mark being the tiebreaker. Since its introduction, skaters have also received two pairs of marks for the Short Program, with the first mark being the tiebreaker. The net effect was that, in general, the two marks were of roughly equal importance, with some exceptions. This remained true in the early years of COP, as one can see from this, for example: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2006/SEG004.HTM

Now, however, with some Men able to break the 50 level in TES in the SP and the 100 level in the FS, and similar situations in the other disciplines, the rough parity has been lost without the ISU's articulating a clear reason.

I do think that the quality of what is measured by PCS has risen dramatically since the introduction of COP, but it is not properly rewarded. While I am not sure that the specific changes mentioned thus far solve the problem, they would go some way to restoring the rough parity between the first and second marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information