The Loena Hendrickx appreciation thread

sadya

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Hendrickx: This is Just the Beginning​

A NEW CAMPAIGN

For the first time in her career, she entered a new season as a World medalist and expectations are higher than ever before. She opened the 2022-2023 campaign with a win at Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf, Germany, at the end of September. Though her scores were slightly lower than her personal best, Hendrickx was still pleased with the golden start to her season.

“One week before Nebelhorn Trophy, I really felt the pressure because I wanted to prove that I was worthy of the World silver medal,” she said. “I was glad when the competition was over, so I could let my mind rest.”

Hendrickx first began working with Solya prior to the 2016-2017 season, when he choreographed a short program for her. Since then, he has crafted all her competitive routines. This year’s short program, set to “Si Mama” and “Mi Gente” performed by Beyoncé, is a step in a new direction, one Hendrickx is fully embracing.

Sylvia

TBD
FSO spoke with Loena before the final Stars on Ice show in Hershey, PA on June 4:
Excerpts:
FSO: This was your first time performing with Stars on Ice in North America. What was like to perform across Canada and the U.S.?
Hendrickx: It’s crazy because I feel really honored to be here as a European person and to meet all these amazing people and to meet them in a different way than competing. It’s just amazing. I never thought that I would love it the way I love it now and it’s just amazing to explore the world by doing what you love.
FSO: In 2021, you left your longtime coach to be coached solely by your brother, Jorik. What is it like working with your brother?
Hendrickx: I think it’s the best choice I ever made. He is so creative. Every practice is different. I don’t know where he gets inspiration. We had a camp last year in Slovenia, where we had, I think, like 12-hour skating skills, and he didn’t repeat one step. So it was like a 12 hours of different steps. So that’s what I like the most about him. Also, he knows my body pretty good so he knows when to tell me like ‘easy going now because otherwise you will get injured.’ And I want to go, go, go go until it’s too late.
Adam Solya has choreographed both of her programs again ("... the basics are ready. But still a lot of work to do.").

Loena's upcoming shows in Japan are:
June 30-July 2 - Dreams on Ice in Shinyokohama
July 22-August 4 - The Ice tour in Aichi, Nikko, Osaka & Morioka

tennellicious

Banned Member
yep Loena needs to ditch Solya and her brother asap. Both are clearly in over their heads with an elite level skater like this, and I actually think Loena's overall skating and jump technique is regressing, not improving.

sadly it's not going to happen though.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Loena Hendrickx SP -

Deep house mix edited by @sk8mixhugo
Im Nin'alu from Mor Avrahim
Living for Love from Madonna

Sylvia

TBD
Here's another copy of Loena's Japan Open FS on Oct. 7 (she scored 140 for Team Europe & placed 2nd to Kaori): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwWjk9RO8Xg
She shared 3 photos from Saitama: https://www.instagram.com/p/CyGw0ZkJ330/
Discussion of her FS in the 2023 Japan Open thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...r-7-carnival-on-ice-gala.111046/#post-6479421

Her ISU bio is updated for the 2023-24 season: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014747.htm
SP: I'm nin'alu (Mor Avrahami Remix) by Ofra Haza / Living for Love by Madonna
FS: Break My Soul (The Queens Remix) by Beyoncé and Madonna

She's currently in Miami - her 2 pics from Miami Beach: https://www.instagram.com/p/CyTuWbJuyX6/
Her latest Insta stories show her training at the Kendall Ice Arena with Jorik (before they head to Skate America in Dallas).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I was checking out the YouTube comments again on her free skate, and this one made me laugh

@neutronhr

1 day ago
“How gay you want your programe”

Loena : “Yes️‍
🌈

Sylvia

TBD
I forgot to post Hiro Yoshida's feature on Loena Hendrickx before her season debut at Japan Open [Oct. 7] - "Talked with her about her challenging 2022/2023 season, collaborating with her choreographer Adam Solya and her legacy for Belgian skating among other topics."

ETA - good to see Loena continues to enjoy some sightseeing in Miami before heading to Dallas: https://www.instagram.com/p/CyjB6ekucHK/

Last edited:

karmena

Perplexing.... there were Belgian Figure Skating Championships on November 17-18 and, accordingly to Wikipedia, the gold went to Nina Pinzarrone and silver to Jade Hovine. No Loena.... Also, it is said that 'no other competitors':unsure:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Perplexing.... there were Belgian Figure Skating Championships on November 17-18 and, accordingly to Wikipedia, the gold went to Nina Pinzarrone and silver to Jade Hovine. No Loena.... Also, it is said that 'no other competitors':unsure:

I believe often times in European nationals like Italy and other countries the one who is the front runner doesn’t attend that much anymore, especially when it came to French ice dance with Guillaume and Gabriella

I think someone mentioned she was ill but I do know unless they require to say like in Spanish ice dance because it was a benchmark for worlds and Olympic spots. I remember many times front runners in European countries don’t always attend their nationals.

Colonel Green

I believe often times in European nationals like Italy and other countries the one who is the front runner doesn’t attend that much anymore, especially when it came to French ice dance with Guillaume and Gabriella

I think someone mentioned she was ill but I do know unless they require to say like in Spanish ice dance because it was a benchmark for worlds and Olympic spots. I remember many times front runners in European countries don’t always attend their nationals.
Loena typically does go barring health issues — it’s a gathering point for local skaters, which she enjoys promoting.

Sylvia

TBD
Belgian article on the 2024 Europeans gold medalist before Worlds in Montreal:
Interview with Loena Hendrickx about her experience with a toxic relationship: i will translate the article and the interview into english" ... The full interview is apparently 4 pages long and behind paywall! I will purchase the magazine (Hubo) and translate the interview in english one of the following days
Thread (5 posts) on March 12, 2024: https://twitter.com/exidting/status/1767536256676733405

ETA that Loena shared a glimpse of the 4-page magazine article in her Insta story today.

Last edited:

Nmsis

Except Gabriella and Guillaume went to every french nationals, bare 2021 when they skipped pretty much everything.

European skaters rarely miss their nationals, that's a development tool for their federations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information