The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
For a long time, your and Igor Shpilband’s duets dictated the fashion in ice dance. Now it’s time for the Montreal school. How do you see the future development of ice dance?

Marina Zueva:
It is clear that in recent years the style was set by Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron. But dance without soul and feelings is just movement to the music. Even in ordinary life, you will never ask a girl who you don’t like to dance. You can talk as much as you like about new directions, but dance must remain dance. And without showing the feelings, it cannot exist.
:rolleyes:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual

Khaleesi

bcash

On the textual level, her take is fine. It can be a personal response. For example, I don't see a lot of feelings in the skating of many of her past teams. Maybe she felt elation when the final 20 seconds of S/K's Olympic FD came on whereas I experienced a certain amount of cringe.

But "movement to music" is the essence of anything with "dance" in its name. All the ennoblement of feeling comes from that marriage, and depends on how deeply the creators understand that marriage. "Feelings" without it are just window dressing, put on. To me that quote really shows the limit of her understanding and imagination. I've always felt the Zueva choreography in the new century has been about ticking off bullet points in the rulebooks. Only surface attention is paid to the musicality. Also, she never showed that she knew how to develop and enhance in her students the physical articulation and amplitude that elevate their skating, if they didn't have it in the first place.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

VGThuy

When it came to Alex and Maia she just collected a paycheck and did whatever politicking she had with whatever power she had while they had to come up with their own concepts, music edits, and choreography after the 2014-15 season.

It seems old Russian ice dance personalities just stick to the same homophobic script regarding Gaby and Guillaume. Russia seems super triggered by their existence.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Triggered, jealous really. Her comment about it 'just being movement' is so ridiculous. Movements are beautiful and it is at the center of dance. Somehow I hadn't pegged her as a bigot either. Must be so sad to live in such a constricted view of what can be beautiful, emotional and powerful. Now I wonder how the Shibs would have done in Montreal with the right support for their artistic ambitions especially in their last quad.

Bigbird

Smear tactics, and jealousy nothing more to it. The IAM team has eclipsed anything she ever did or will ever do. She also forgets all the unique dancers and pieces created by the IAM school within the last 8 years; Sunday Afternoon, Oblivion Tango, Picasso, now Zorro? She must take us all for complete idiots. Mozart? The Paso Doble's of P/C and H/D. Laughable indeed.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
The idea that two people must be in luuuuuuuvvvv in order to be good ice dancers is ridiculous. Believing that only that kind of connection is worth exploring is really limiting. And assuming that straight (presumably) skaters are automatically more compelling and believable is just dumb.

Bigbird

The idea that two people must be in luuuuuuuvvvv in order to be good ice dancers is ridiculous. Believing that only that kind of connection is worth exploring is really limiting. And assuming that straight (presumably) skaters are automatically more compelling and believable is just dumb.
What was P/C's tango if not that? They're just trying to downplay P/C. The ROC really thought SC were good enough to pull off an upset. Deluded and very poor losers.

Khaleesi

It all makes sense now. Man she really pigeon holed V/M. She got mad at them when they said they were like brother and sister, said she had worked hard to cultivate their public romantic persona. And V/M never said that again. Poor Maia and Alex.
She was very, very lucky that V/M, D/W and S/S chose to stay with her after the split with Shpilband.
Yeah and wasn’t Igor kicked out of the rink? The top teams couldn’t really plan a move with the start of the season around the corner. She planned it all so well lol. Master manipulator.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Oh brother. As far as I know both Hawayek and Baker are straight and when they do something like the Glass program it’s utterly irrelevant. So many more examples… but this the only weapon rival coaches have against IAM and P/C so they use it.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Yeah and wasn’t Igor kicked out of the rink? The top teams couldn’t really plan a move with the start of the season around the corner. She planned it all so well lol. Master manipulator.
My former dance coach said it was because everyone hated Igor's sidepiece at the time. Idk how true that is, but it's what he heard as a high level competitor at the time.

VGThuy

Who was this side piece?
That woman you see in KnC with him, at least during the post-2012 break up period.

I heard the top teams were frustrated that Igor was less available to them and he was concentrating more on younger teams who he wanted to develop on his own with his “side piece” without Marina. I think that last part incensed Marina so much that she started the steps to kick him out of the rink.

I always thought the Shibs and C/B were kind of damaged by the split because Igor/Marina were better together honestly. I think Igor would have pushed the Shibs more technically and had them do more transitions and improve their speed during their stagnant period and Chock/Bates’ programs would have more polish and not just arm raising. I do think Marina is a choreographer with a very limited dance vocabulary and her programs don’t have the fullness or creativity or movements they should but I think she has a good eye for packaging and cleaning up already-made choreography to take it to that next level. That’s why she’s so good at poaching, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information