The Dance Hall 12: Boston Tea Dance Party

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think that makes it five senior teams for Spain next season. :eek:

I just checked Roberts/Alis' ISU bio to see if they could do another year in juniors if the age proposals go through (they can't) and it appears they've moved to IAM Ontario. It's getting crowded in Fake London!
And a real rivalry is developing between SK and IAM - 3 teams for the former and 2 teams for the latter.

Karen-W

Holubtsova/Bielobrov have split. Kyryl just made the announcement on his IG and says he will be looking for a new partner.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
That's a lovely post from Kyryl.

Some of Mariia's IG posts lately have implied she's had some hard times in skating, on top of everything they've been though since the start of the war, so I hope she has lots of love and support in wherever she goes from here.

azcalder

That's a lovely post from Kyryl.

Some of Mariia's IG posts lately have implied she's had some hard times in skating, on top of everything they've been though since the start of the war, so I hope she has lots of love and support in wherever she goes from here.
In the Mixed Zone after the Rhythm Dance at Worlds, Mariia told us her parents and dogs were also living in Montreal.

Last edited:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Excuse me, one of Weatherby's coaches when she was a novice, Nadine Ahmed Kerr, competed at Euros for Azerbaijan, so surely she is the most Azerbaijani of Azerbaijani ice dancers. Second generation!

(I'm glad she's found another partner. It's been a long time.)

Also, The Feeling Begins for Smart/Dieck? 👀 I guess if a current ice dancer is going to try to channel 1997 Oksana Grishuk, Olivia isn't the worst choice. (Also, there are other tracks on the Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack that would also be good for ice dance.)

Dobre

Also, The Feeling Begins for Smart/Dieck? 👀 I guess if a current ice dancer is going to try to channel 1997 Oksana Grishuk, Olivia isn't the worst choice. (Also, there are other tracks on the Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack that would also be good for ice dance.)
But it's very fast. (If they use the G&P cuts). It's one of those pieces that lures people in with the slow beginning and then runs away without most athletes as it builds.

Bigbird

But it's very fast. (If they use the G&P cuts). It's one of those pieces that lures people in with the slow beginning and then runs away without most athletes as it builds.
This is only the step sequence. Looking good looking forward to the rest.

litenkyckling

There's something about these dance assignments that just feels... off? Not sure how to explain it but some fields feel pretty deep, others feel so empty?

Such a shame to see some teams miss out on even 1 assignment again - Bashynska/Beaumont and Bekker/Hernandez come to mind here. Maybe they will get one each from the Grimm/Savitskiy error? Harris/Chan also a notable omission here.

I think France looks like a pretty easy field in terms of making the final. Could NHK somehow end up a team USA 1,2,3?

Surely the slam dunks for the final are: C/B, G/P, G/F, F/G, La/La and.... the rest are maybe totally material and performance on the day dependent?

Those who placed 6-10 at worlds seem quite clustered in a way I don't think they have been in recent years.

Some things to note:
  • Can't say how F-B/S will do. They put out medicore performances all of last year - regardless of what else they have going on I think they've seemed physically ready to retire for a while. Will they be dropped?
  • Davis/Smolkin have moved to IAM - will this give them a boost despite what they put on the ice?
  • Green/Parsons - was last year just teething problems/injury? Crucial off season for them.
  • Will Reed/Ambrulivious be able to keep the momentum going?
  • Carreira/Ponomarenko missed out on a seeded spot by less than a point - can they keep that momentum going?
Here are just some of the possibilities:
For L/B to qualify they need to:
Bronze in Canada - a good chance. (11 points)
Beat R/A in France - a good chance. (13 points)

For R/A to qualify they need to:
Beat L/B in France - will the French need to make a mistake? (13 points)
Beat F-B/S, CPom, Gr/Pa at NHK - who knows (13 OR 11 points)

For CPom to qualify they need to:
Beat F-B/S, Gr/Pa, R/A at NHK - who knows (13 OR 11 points)
Beat T/V, Gr/Pa, D/S in China - who knows (11 points)

For F-B/S to qualify they need to:
Beat L/LG in USA - surely possible (11 points)
Beat R/A, CPom, Gr/Pa at NHK - surely possible (13 points)

For Gr/Pa to qualify they need to:
Beat F-B/S, R/A, CPom at NHK - who knows (13 points)
Beat T/V, D/S, CPom in China - who knows (11 points)

Last edited:

Debbie S

For FB/S to get 13 points at Skate America they'd need to beat Fear/Gibson, no?
For that reason alone I don't think F-B/S will make the GPF. Finishing 2nd vs 3rd (i.e. beating Reed) is kind of a toss-up, but even if they did that, a 2nd and 3rd place usually doesn't qualify in dance. But maybe it will this year.

ETA: My hypothetical placement refers to NHK. I'm assuming F-B/S will place 3rd at SA.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

For that reason alone I don't think F-B/S will make the GPF. Finishing 2nd vs 3rd (i.e. beating Reed) is kind of a toss-up, but even if they did that, a 2nd and 3rd place usually doesn't qualify in dance. But maybe it will this year.
I think this might be the first time in a while we see a 2nd/3rd qualify - which means the actual points scored will be crucial. Bet they all seriously have their fingers crossed for a favourable panel wherever they are headed!

chameleonster

The lowest combination of placements I've seen qualify for ice dance is 2nd and 4th, back in 2015, so anything's possible. I think I'm tentatively putting my money on Lopareva/Brissaud. IAM bonus may give L/B a high tiebreaker score at Skate Canada, and their other GP is a home event so ditto, although the back to back schedule is a bit tough. I think Reed/Ambrulevicius have kind of hit their ceiling. F-B/S have never been super consistent and have long dealt with injuries, I don't think they've just hit their ceiling but are on their way down. Their goal this past season was to win Worlds, I remember, and they came 9th. Obviously they made mistakes but I feel like younger teams are in place to surpass them. Carreira/Ponomarenko I'm giving second best odds to make GPF after L/B, their fields are tougher but they seem to be on the rise. Green/Parsons will need to regain their consistency and get stronger material in order to be in contention. Its definitely not a forgone conclusion this year!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Dana Sabatini-Speciale and Daniel Kaye have teamed up. She used to skate with Nicholas Buelow for Canada. He's a former solo ice dancer for Britain (and NOT the star of Hans Christian Andersen and The Court Jester, for my fellow film buffs!). They tagged the Cricket Club and Barbara Fusar-Poli in their post.

Karen-W

There's something about these dance assignments that just feels... off? Not sure how to explain it but some fields feel pretty deep, others feel so empty?

Such a shame to see some teams miss out on even 1 assignment again - Bashynska/Beaumont and Bekker/Hernandez come to mind here. Maybe they will get one each from the Grimm/Savitskiy error? Harris/Chan also a notable omission here.

GrimSav only have one assignment so both BashBeau & BekHern getting an assignment isn't possible if GrimSav choose to stay on the JGP.

There's no way that ReedAmbru are going to beat LopBri at GPdF, so their chances at qualifying for the GPF will be on securing silver at NHK - and I think they're pretty vulnerable to losing to FBSoer or CarPon or both.

LopBri are probably in the best position to make the GPF and maybe CarPon after them depending on whether or not they can capture silver at NHK and then bronze at CoC.

Also - I really want to know what's up with Harris/Chan not having a GP. They were in the WS Top 24 when the WS were updated a couple weeks ago so they should have gotten a GP.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Is it possible Harris/Chan are somehow caught up in the disaster in Australia?

If L/B have material as original as last year’s RD, they will do well.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Dana Sabatini-Speciale and Daniel Kaye have teamed up. She used to skate with Nicholas Buelow for Canada. He's a former solo ice dancer for Britain (and NOT the star of Hans Christian Andersen and The Court Jester, for my fellow film buffs!). They tagged the Cricket Club and Barbara Fusar-Poli in their post.
He’s also an Irish citizen so potentially another team for Ireland. Though they’re not short of options!

Karen-W

Cross-posting from the GP Assignments thread -
The German Fed's post about their GP assignments seems to indicate that they do not expect Grimm/Savitskiy to accept the SCI assignment -

Dobre

I think there are some teams delaying their season. Karen confirmed that Michael Parsons had knee surgery so that is why Green & Parsons have both late events.

Plus, Turkkila & Versluis are signed up for the last two events? (Probably there's a reason for that, no?)

But you gotta love how Cup of China is going to pit Lajoie & Lagha, Green & Parsons, Carreira & Ponomarenko, and Davis & Smolkin together. (It's Skate Canada 2021 Redux). Plus with Demougeot & Le Mercier thrown in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information