The Dance Hall 11: Movin' On Up 2023-2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

Tali/Lafornara just put the cat among the pigeons in Egna, to borrow a Chrisism, skating two clean programs and breaking 170!
Which is lovely for them, and they are a new team together, plus she has years of experience on the junior circuit, so it's very understandable why their scores from this season would cover a large amount of territory. But Egna is at home in Italy so I'll just wait & see how things go elsewhere.
There are already 36 likely entries for Worlds
Yeah, the field is getting deeper as expected. I am a bit sad for the Brazilians, as their FD woke me up after the Muse when I was watching 4CCs this morning. (I wouldn't advise inviting unnecessary comparisons by skating to music associated with Virtue & Moir, but at least it was lively).

----

:) I have always liked the paso.

I like the soundtrack to Strictly Ballroom and once spent many hours writing college papers to it (and to the soundtracks for Chocolate and Emma, as I couldn't write while listening to music with--many--lyrics). I've really had enough of Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps/Quizas, Quizas, Quizas now though. I remember it being the most overused piece in juniors the year that Carreira & Ponomarenko used it. Maybe some of the coaches took note of this problem also? (Wishful thinking, probably).

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
If it’s the Paso and movies, who’s going to do Murder on the Dance Floor? I think it’s the right bpm.

I’ll be sad if it’s paso season and we don’t get any men in toreador costumes.

:) I have always liked the paso.

I like the soundtrack to Strictly Ballroom and once spent many hours writing college papers to it (and to the soundtracks for Chocolate and Emma, as I couldn't write while listening to music with--many--lyrics).
I'd like to see an Emma programme. I know some fans would like to see more use of the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack, but so many of the ice dance women aren't Lizzie Bennetts for me.

Tali/Lafornara just put the cat among the pigeons in Egna, to borrow a Chrisism, skating two clean programs and breaking 170!
I'm glad to see several young Italian teams showing promise. Hopefully at least one of them will be able to step up when Guignard and Fabbri are ready to retire. I was pleasantly surprised by Carlotta Argentieri and Francesco Riva in seniors too. I don't recall seeing either of them before. (I didn't watch the FD, but their Whitney Houston RD was lots of fun.)

coralline

The movie theme thing is still TBD at the moment…maybe we will just get a “music and feeling of the 90s” next season :barrel.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
If it does turn out to be paso and movies ... how well are those two going to combine? Will it limit the kinds of movie soundtracks that skaters can use? I don't remember much about paso in previous seasons, so forgive me for sounding ignorant here 😊, but to me it feels like it goes for a very specific feel and style.

bwayrose7

If it does turn out to be paso and movies ... how well are those two going to combine? Will it limit the kinds of movie soundtracks that skaters can use? I don't remember much about paso in previous seasons, so forgive me for sounding ignorant here 😊, but to me it feels like it goes for a very specific feel and style.
I'm not super-familiar with the technical side of the paso pattern either, but I feel like if this is the combination, it'll probably have as wide a range as this year's samba + '80s theme. That is to say, more variety than we might expect, especially given the way the pattern requirements are broken up now. There are a lot of dramatic movie soundtracks that I think could be molded to allow the paso steps at some point without having to be an out-and-out paso dance in whole.

Former Lurve Goddess

I'm not super-familiar with the technical side of the paso pattern either, but I feel like if this is the combination, it'll probably have as wide a range as this year's samba + '80s theme. That is to say, more variety than we might expect, especially given the way the pattern requirements are broken up now. There are a lot of dramatic movie soundtracks that I think could be molded to allow the paso steps at some point without having to be an out-and-out paso dance in whole.
But we all know that there will be a bazillion Strictly Ballroom RDs.;)

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Paso Doble is supposed to be in 2/4 at 112 bpm, so a moderately fast tempo. The pattern relies heavily on eye catching movements above the shins than below, IMO (slide steps that require strong core and bodily extension, deep edges not necessarily needed for some of the precision of the steps, it's challenging for other reasons...which one could argue favors many of today's ice dancers).

The pattern is traditionally taught with a strong lens of flamboyant and dramatic Spanish traditions like bullfighting...so while Shake Your Booty by KC and the Sunshine band is the right tempo, I doubt we'll get much deviation from Spanish heavy films or films featuring notable man vs. woman fights (Mr. & Mrs. Smith will be an easy choice after Strictly Ballroom, IMO) even if the tempo requirements are not enforced in the rules for the RD next year.

I'd love to see someone like Chock re-create a Selena costume to Si Una Vez (will biopics count haha?). Watch we'll get both Zorro and Puss in Boots RDs :lol:

I have to imagine "movies" as a theme is ISU envisioning theatrical embodiments of recognizable characters vs. desiring to hear more OSTs??

skatingguy

decently
Paso Doble is supposed to be in 2/4 at 112 bpm, so a moderately fast tempo. The pattern relies heavily on eye catching movements above the shins than below, IMO (slide steps that require strong core and bodily extension, deep edges not necessarily needed for some of the precision of the steps, it's challenging for other reasons...which one could argue favors many of today's ice dancers).

The pattern is traditionally taught with a strong lens of flamboyant and dramatic Spanish traditions like bullfighting...so while Shake Your Booty by KC and the Sunshine band is the right tempo, I doubt we'll get much deviation from Spanish heavy films or films featuring notable man vs. woman fights (Mr. & Mrs. Smith will be an easy choice after Strictly Ballroom, IMO) even if the tempo requirements are not enforced in the rules for the RD next year.
Assuming that the requirements for the pattern type step sequence for next season is similar to this season than it won't be necessary to have music, or movement that matches paso doble. The skaters have to use the steps, but they can change the order, timing, and the partner performing those steps.

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
Updated entry list for Challenge Cup and Lajoie/Lagha are out. :( Fabbri/Ayer in.

Bekker/Hernandez also out so Azroian/Gruzdev get a last tilt for their tech minimums (have they even competed an FD this season?).
Oh, that is such a shame for LajLag. One has to think the likelihood of them making it to Worlds is pretty slim.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I've been wondering all along if she was going to be able to recover in time. Concussions are so dicey. :(

And Canada's Worlds team announcement is tomorrow, so they may have been asked to give some kind of hard and fast answer, and this could be an early signal of that. It's a pity if they have to miss their hometown Worlds.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Assuming that the requirements for the pattern type step sequence for next season is similar to this season than it won't be necessary to have music, or movement that matches paso doble. The skaters have to use the steps, but they can change the order, timing, and the partner performing those steps.
I assume as much as well.

Why not just call it an OD or OSP again. “Movies” is basically “Folk”.

lauravvv

ETA - 36 teams with TES mins for Worlds

FRA - Demougeot/Le Mercier, Lopareva/Brissaud
France has only one spot at Worlds, so it's only Lopareva/Brissaud. Really unfortunate, as Demougeot/Le Mercier are certainly deserving of a spot. But I am pretty sure that Lopareva/Brissaud will be able to obtain two spots for France this time, unless they make some serious mistake.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
France has only one spot at Worlds, so it's only Lopareva/Brissaud. Really unfortunate, as Demougeot/Le Mercier are certainly deserving of a spot. But I am pretty sure that Lopareva/Brissaud will be able to obtain two spots for France this time, unless they make some serious mistake.
They have two. 12 + 14 is more than enough to keep their two spots.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Oh, seems that I mixed it up with the rule where the sole team taking part at Worlds or Erous has to be top 10 to get two spots. I am really glad to be mistaken.
There were three French teams at Worlds, though 😂

When there are three, only the first two count towards placements the next season. By virtue of Lopareva & Brissaud finishing 12th, all D/LM needed to do was make the free dance.

Dobre

I see we've reached the part of the season where teams start announcing splits:

Via the Canadian dance thread:
Sabatini-Speciale & Buelow
Gans & Boutsan
Kravets & Stark
Bolender & Dotzert
The Andersons

Via the U.S. dance thread:
Cui & Eckert

Per the Russian thread:
Yablokov is going to try ice dancing.
Um . . . not who I would predict to do so, but I suppose if Majorov had a hidden ice dance personality, then Yablokov might have one too:slinkaway.

----

Shame about Gans & Boutsan. I saw them several times this season, but only just began to appreciate them at the Youth Olympics. It really gives one better perspective on young teams when you see them compete against a field of their peers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information