The Dance Hall 11: Movin' On Up 2023-2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I agree that Spain would certainly be the easier option, citizenship-wise, for them. But, Tim's family is involved with the sport, so I'm sure there are some strong ties to the German Fed there already. I'm not sure what Germany's residency requirements are, though certainly the language test could be a challenge if Olivia isn't immersed in it or doesn't have an aptitude for learning other languages.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the conversations/politicking is going on behind the scenes between the federations. I don't think another country beside Spain or Germany is an option, since that would require releases from both the Spanish and German feds and I doubt either really wants to give up a very likely Euros Top 10 and potential Worlds Top 10 team right out of the gate.

Skating for Spain would, as noted, be easy to earn the Euros and Worlds spots, while skating for Germany could set up another situation like we had with the Spanish teams for at least the next 3 years between Smart/Dieck and Janse van Rensburg/Steffan.

The other thing I'm wondering is about a possible GP invitation next season - with the 2022 Worlds finish, Olivia is qualified to be entered in the selection pool as a Return Split Couple - and the 194.63 Smart/Diaz earned in Montpellier would place them on the SB list at 14 and guarantee at least one assignment. The only question, in my mind, is if that's predicated on her continuing to represent Spain.

Couple of interesting notes from the interview...

1) they've picked out their FD music for next season already, but haven't started on the RD - Olivia is interested in '80s rock rather than the obvious stuff like MJ or Madonna, etc.

2) Tim is soaking up the IAM dynamic and coaching style and had apparently said that no one in Germany uses the language (physics terms like aerodynamics, etc) in actual coaching environments - he's read those terms in coaching books, etc, but it didn't make sense and now, however Patch is phrasing things, it's all clicking for him. I got the impression that the IAM team felt very strongly that Tim has massive potential.

3) Marie was the one who pushed Olivia to have the tryout with Tim last fall, but she was hesitant since she'd already signed the DOI contract.

All in all, I'm excited to see what they look like whenever they make their debut.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

I have a really good feeling about them as a pairing - in their past partnerships they've been happy to go outside the box a bit in terms of music choice, he's got a little more height than Adrian and Olivia is pretty strong in lifts so interested to see what happens there, and if he's feeling more confident and happy with his coaching and Olivia has gained some performance confidence (if she even need it) from DOI, plus they're both over 25 so have that maturity that I think pays huge dividends in ice dance - excited to see how their season unfolds.

Sylvia

TBD
VAL & KAZIMOV DEVELOP THEIR OWN STYLE by Matteo Morelli (April 27):
Sofía Val and Asaf Kazimov are a new partnership representing Spain. Their training base is the new SK International Ice Dance School in Madrid, headed by former Spanish ice dance champions Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin. They told us a bit more about themselves and how they went from deciding to skate together when the skating season had already started to competing at the World Championships in Saitama.

Sylvia

TBD
Lopareva/Brissaud are getting the FD done by Cizeron again. Source: their Instagram
Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr1JvOFI_5a/

Lagouge/Caffa's update today: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr1FDdoIonR/
From Helsinki, to Milan, to Rome and Paris, we would like to share with you a video summarizing our last past 3 weeks full of creativity, adventures, fun And foooood.
We had the opportunity to work with two amazing choreographers @massyscali and @luca.lanotte_skater and had the chance to see our family and friends.
We came back to Helsinki this week and have a month and half in front of us to work on our new programs with our team @neil_brown @mauriziothecap @siniparkkis @lauriemaybackstage . Time to Work 💪🏻.
They have a Bon Jovi RD (presumably though they did not specify, as pointed out on April 26 in the Rhythm Dance thread in GSD): https://www.instagram.com/p/CrgYi4ho4ky/

ETA:
Nadiia Bashynska/Peter Beaumont (CAN)

RD: "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS/"The Wild Boys" by Duran Duran
Choreographers: Carol Lane, Juris Razgulajevs, Marc-Andre Servant are listed in their ISU bio

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus (Co. Wexford)" are listed as the only Senior Ice Dance couple for Irish Nationals next month! https://isai.ie/event/irish-figure-skating-championships-2023/

ETA: https://isai.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Section-100-General-Rules.pdf
103.2.3 Competitive Partner Member
This category of membership is for any individual who has a critical partnership with a
ISAI member in Ice Dance or Pairs participating on skating programs, competitions, and
events of the ISAI and other ISU member federations. A Competitive Partner Member is
entitled to enter club competitions or higher as per these Rules and Regulations. It
entitles the member to receive notification of meetings of the Association as per the
Constitution but does not allow the member the ability to speak or vote at such meetings.
Such a skater who is vital to a competitive pair and/or dance team will be deemed a
member ONLY as long as they are vital to the competitive pair or dance team. The
criteria to join as a Competitive Partner the individual MUST
-Be part of a competitive Pair or Ice Dance team, where the other skater is
either a Full or Youth member.
-The partner must comply with ISU Rule 109.
-Be released from their national federation at no cost to the ISAI.

To be eligible to compete internationally for Ireland, Shane would have to hold Irish Citizenship and Skate Canada would need to release them "at no cost to the ISAI."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Odd choice if true considering the depth of Czech Ice Dance. Maybe they have a better chance to get Czech citizenship for Dario than Italian for Denisa?
As long as Dario will be released (ETA) after reading the tweet linked above - but will it happen in time for them to compete this season, though?

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus (Co. Wexford)" are listed as the only Senior Ice Dance couple for Irish Nationals next month! https://isai.ie/event/irish-figure-skating-championships-2023/

ETA: https://isai.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Section-100-General-Rules.pdf
Didn’t see that coming! Their last international was GP Finland so they will be able to compete internationally as of Golden Spin
Me either! But, good for them!

They already have the TES mins necessary to compete at Euros and Worlds, since those carry over when there is a country change (Lauriault/Le Gac and FB/Soer didn't need to re-earn theirs after sitting out the required year).
Odd choice if true considering the depth of Czech Ice Dance. Maybe they have a better chance to get Czech citizenship for Dario than Italian for Denisa?
More likely they don't want to have to wait to compete until next winter. Her last international with Joti was Pavel Roman Memorial on Nov 10-13th.
As long as Dario will be released (ETA) after reading the tweet linked above - but will it happen in time for them to compete this season, though?
I don't see any reason to think he won't. While I suspect the RFSF won't let top talent in singles or existing pairs/dance teams go that easily, it's a different matter when it's a pairs skater or ice dancer forming a new partnership.

Marta24

Ice Dance is always full of surprises. New Ice Dance teams for Ireland and Sweden wasn't really what I was expecting from this off-season. :)

Re C/C going to IAM. I'm honestly not surprised to see a Czech Team going to Montreal, but I'm surprised that it ended up to be C/C. I expected the Mrazeks to end up there sooner or later. They are talented, there's a lot of hype surrounding them and the judges love them. But maybe this is more of a strategic decision to lock up another judge and creating an obstacle for YGA.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
A while ago on Goldenskate forum a poster implied that there's a Canadian team who wishes to skate for another country but the request had been rejected by Skate Canada. I can't find that exact post now, but it was quoted in this post.

Checking that poster's post history, they're a big S/F fan and that's how I got to know that maybe S/F were attempting to switch countries. Didn't know it's Ireland until today though.

Last edited:

On My Own

A while ago on Goldenskate forum a poster has implied that there's a Canadian team who wishes to skate for another country but the request had been rejected by Skate Canada. I can't find that exact post now, but it was quoted in this post.

Checking that poster's post history, they're a big S/F fan and that's how I got to know that maybe S/F were attempting to switch countries. Didn't know it's Ireland until today though.
Oh, good, ellipses galore AND the incarnation of "aftershocks" on the same page. My eyes are so blessed, I shudder to sleep as I was planning to, in fear of what I'll have as nightmares.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
If Canada said no originally, I wonder what happened to change their minds.
The first question for me would be when did they first ask?

It's only about four months to the date they competed at Canadian Nationals so if SC has given them permission it's fairly quick considering the loss of Sales/Wamsteeker, Laurialt/LeGac AND maybe when they first asked there was a big question mark around G/P and FB/S.

There are a lot of promising teams coming up but the potential to be short on veteran teams is/was real. Maybe G/P have indicated they will skate another year?

yurokis40

It's only about four months to the date they competed at Canadian Nationals so if SC has given them permission it's fairly quick considering the loss of Sales/Wamsteeker, Laurialt/LeGac AND maybe when they first asked there was a big question mark around G/P and FB/S.

There are a lot of promising teams coming up but the potential to be short on veteran teams is/was real. Maybe G/P have indicated they will skate another year?
What are you talking about lauriaut and legac have not retired they are competing next year as ar fournier beaudry sorensen.

Sylvia

TBD

beckab81

I must have missed it, what happened to Laurialt/LeGac?

Dobre

Well, this is the off-season and we are seeing some early to mid-quadrennium political movement in the hopes of earning Olympic berths, so might as well look at the current outlook for those top 24 Olympic berths. These are all speculative estimates, but what the heck?

2-3 USA
1-2 Italy
2-3 Canada
1-2 Great Britain
1 Lithuania (most likely only the 1)
1-2 Czech Republic
1-2 Finland
1-2 France
1 Georgia
0-3 Russia (????)

----
Now things get more dicey:
1 Spain (if Smart/Dieck skate for Spain)
1 China (they shouldn't be dicey, but they are at the moment)
1 Germany (maybe 2 if Smart/Dieck skate for Germany)
1 South Korea (citizenship?)
1 Japan
1 Australia (citizenship?)
1 Ireland (citizenship?)
1 Israel
1 Ukraine

That is up to 30 spots, not counting a 2nd Lithuanian or German team, and without even mentioning the Hungarians who made the FD cut at this year's Worlds. No way, I figure all those teams above the dotted line maximize berths; but I do figure some of them do. If none and Russia remains banned clear through the Olympics, you could maybe squeeze in 4 more countries; but TBH, I think even 1 more is a stretch.

If Russia comes back with 2 teams competitive for a combined 13 or fewer points, the math gets a lot harder for several countries trying to earn the shot at a second berth; but of course, the question then becomes which countries?

There are still a number of potential retirements, but not necessarily ones that would make a big difference in the number of teams sent per country. (If Reed & Ambrulevicius get out prior to the 2025 Worlds, Lithuania would plausibly drop off this list and--based on Euros--possibly below a couple other countries).

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I must have missed it, what happened to Laurialt/LeGac?
Nothing happened. I just have some memory of them announcing she was going to university and they were retiring but I can't find it now so I must have dreamt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information