The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

On My Own

I wonder who the next big thing in Ice Dance is, and when they'll happen. The next Papadakis/Cizeron (2014-18 version, though), Virtue/Moir, I mean. This is all pleasant, but nothing really jumped out at me, personally.

litenkyckling

Totally thrilled for Charlene and Marco - they've worked hard for so many years and I was glad to see their great skating skills win out at the end of the day. I wish they had the packaging of other top teams because they shouldn't be scoring this close to Lilah and Lewis if I'm being honest

litenkyckling

I wonder who the next big thing in Ice Dance is, and when they'll happen. The next Papadakis/Cizeron (2014-18 version, though), Virtue/Moir, I mean. This is all pleasant, but nothing really jumped out at me, personally.
I think if it weren't for the ban it may have been Kaganovaskaya/Angelopol. If they hadn't been injured for the start of their senior career then it could have been Kazakova/Reviya (with the right coaches). I know lots of people think it would Green/Parsons but (and this is just for me personally) I think that they need a special programme for me to see that. Could be Lajoie/Lagha as they've had quite the rise this season.

I kind of like it when there isn't a next big thing - it feels like the skating is more crucial and that things can change from year to year.

firstflight

I hope there’s someone else out there who’s as thrilled with what happened today as I am.

I was only invested in two outcomes this weekend: for T/V to win the bronze at Europeans in front of a home crowd, and for Gr/Par to secure the silver at US Championships. For both results to happen within a couple of hours— wow, what a rush!

angi

The two moments that felt the most impacted by ice dance politicking to me were T/V winning Euros Bronze over R/A and Z/K being as close as they were to CPom. Both results felt less related to what was put on the ice and more related to home-ice push in T/V's case and coach's politicking in Z/K's case.
Z/K likely have the most potential out of any young US dance team, but while Kolesnik is very strong, Zingas still has a way to go (though her level for such a short amount of time is fantastic) and there were several moments of small errors from them that were ignored while CPom were overly scrutinized.
T/V enjoyed massive GOEs while having the least complex and most basic FD out of the top 6 at Euros and in the RD the lowest BV our of the top 10.
Ice dance can be a really frustrating sport at times.

Cachoo

I don't mind old-style POTUS warhorse by Muramoto/Takahashi, because there aren't many programs of that kind now. I prefer an old style program in and there than the 18th softie softie lyrical program skated by a middle tier couple.
Pulling this quote out after watching many, many “softies.” I thought Green/Parsons Gershwin was a breath of fresh air.

Nmsis

Bringing that quote from Euro FD thread.
She [Loïcia Demougeot] was born to be a French ice dancer. She's just made of drama and voids and French voidy drama.
If you knew how much she was not made of drama, lol.
"competent but bland", uncharismatic", "transparent, especially compared to her partner" were the compliments made to her dramatic skills throughout her junior career.

She was always about perfection of movement but she was looking at the ice, barely ever looking at her partner. Extreme feelings' expressions such as anger, violence, despair, raw joy were not part of her range. She had that neutral "mask" that made her look cold and unreachably mysterious.

So she was given material to make her work her range. Carmen, Papa Can You Hear Me, Lonlon/Bolero ... Probably an acting class.
... Until she is ready. All that in Villard's style which is to live the music, not act on it. First results started to be visible last year.

But this year ... this year's FD is exactly about revealing her. The themes of the musics are mystery, slow revelation and mystic extasy. And gosh, does that FD work like a charm. It fits them to a T.

Now I just want to see Dupayage / Nabais' lines and crossings FD at Worlds (fingers crossed).
Double monster FDs.
Double Villard power.

Last edited:

Cachoo

Bringing that quote from Euro FD thread.

If you knew how much she was not made of drama, lol.
"competent but bland", uncharismatic", "transparent, especially compared to her partner" were the compliments made to her dramatic skills throughout her junior career.

She was always about perfection of movement but she was looking at the ice, barely ever looking at her partner. Extreme feelings' expressions such as anger, violence, despair, raw joy were not part of her range. She had that neutral "mask" that made her look cold and unreachably mysterious.

So she was given material to make her work her range. Carmen, Papa Can You Hear Me, Lonlon/Bolero ... Probably an acting class.
... Until she is ready. All that in Villard's style which is to live the music, not act on it. First results started to be visible last year.

But this year ... this year's FD is exactly about revealing her. The themes of the musics are mystery, slow revelation and mystic extasy. And gosh, does that FD work like a charm. It fits them to a T.

Now I just want to see Dupayage / Nabais' lines and crossings FD at Worlds (fingers crossed).
Double monster FDs.
Double Villard power.
Are Dupayage/Nabais going to Worlds? How did they fare at their national championship?

Nmsis

Are Dupayage/Nabais going to Worlds? How did they fare at their national championship?
Badly.
They had a rythm dance-aster.
Double fall on a lift (he sat down on the ice), he had another fall, then the elastic under his boot was teared so the judges stopped them until it was secured, ie extra-time penalty.

But Lagouge Caffa had a disaster of their own in the FD and team number 5 ( Terreaux / Perron) ended on the podium.

Then they all went to FISU Winter Games where Dupayage Nabais won, ahead of McNamara/Spiridonov and way ahead of Lagouge Caffa.

Right now, the french selections for Worlds have not been announced AFAIK

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Looking at the Euros results + adding the expected top five teams from 4CC would have Turkkila/Versluis, Reed/Ambrulevicius and Lopareva/Brissaud as the other teams in the top ten, with Taschlerova/Taschler a frustrating eleventh.

Katha

I thought it was a very entertaining Euros competition. Congratz to the medalists! :)

Was very happy for Guignard/Fabbri, but also a bit frustrated at their packaging if that makes sense? They clearly have the skating skills to go for gold at Worlds, but for some reason the FDs in particular are never really clicking? This one is nice and interesting, but not really a barn burner. In contrast to their RD, which I found sublime. And yeah, they shouldn't be this close to Gibson and Fear, who are very fun, but don't have their technical skills.

I don't know the answer. Just my impression at Euros. Margaglio has really done an incredible job in Finland to rebuild that program, hasn't he? Good for him.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:lol: as an observer only, many of you just don't like some teams and no matter what they do, or how they skate, what they wear or what music they chose, they are "terrible" in spite of winning events. It's the same with other disciplines as well. You've just got to wonder why these terrible, no-talent skaters can manage to skate away with titles. One of the most amusing aspects of reading threads.

Cayuse

I thought it was a very entertaining Euros competition. Congratz to the medalists! :)

Was very happy for Guignard/Fabbri, but also a bit frustrated at their packaging if that makes sense? They clearly have the skating skills to go for gold at Worlds, but for some reason the FDs in particular are never really clicking? This one is nice and interesting, but not really a barn burner. In contrast to their RD, which I found sublime. And yeah, they shouldn't be this close to Gibson and Fear, who are very fun, but don't have their technical skills.
If you imagine Charlene as a gothic witch or better yet a scorpion, it might be more interesting to you. I'm just so happy it is not a soft and flow (my computer refuses to let me type a "y" after word "flow") program! I'm loving the return of more dramatic programs this year. Lots of great ones at Euros.

trainingdogs82

I don't know the answer. Just my impression at Euros. Margaglio has really done an incredible job in Finland to rebuild that program, hasn't he? Good for him.

It is simply crazy how overmarked Gibson and Fear are compared to nearly everyone I can think of, including even the teams who regularly beat them. The British fed is sure putting some good politiking behind them, either that or IAM now that some of their key figures are retired.

Which is in sharp contrast to Guignard & Fabbri who seem to have the least political aid of any team in the top 10. If Cinquanta were still ISU president they would be a lock to win worlds this year given the field, even with their boring free dance. Barbara even managed to drag her clod of a partner who can barely stand on two foot to one due to the political favor Italy had with Cinquanta as ISU leader.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Two short lived senior partnerships - Oliver/Graham (POL) and Cimlova/Polizoakis (CZE).

Not hugely surprised about the latter: he didn't come back to be CZE #3.

Andrea82

Two short lived senior partnerships - Oliver/Graham (POL) and Cimlova/Polizoakis (CZE).

Not hugely surprised about the latter: he didn't come back to be CZE #3.
Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky (ITA) also split last week. And it didn't sound amicable.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
What, but he's one of the greatest talents ever in German figure skating! At least, according to his wikipedia page, which I'm pretty sure either he or his mum wrote. :lol:
That is absolute gold. :lol:
Joti Polizoakis belongs, up to this day, to one of the greatest talents in German Figure Skating. His strengths include his very own unique skating style with very good skating skills technique. He is known for his good sense of musicality, which he underlines with charisma, strong interpretation, and his ability to dance on the ice.

Bigbird

Just watched the awful rd by the browns at their nationals , how the hell did this team beat bashynska and beaumont for the world junior title last year judges must have been drunk or bought off by usfs.
The Italians at euros I like them but that rd ain`t it.
The brits have improved Lilah skates better Tessa Virtue has done wonders.
I love the tashlers and hope they and the finns beat the overrated green and parsons at worlds.
The Browns were in much better form then.

Dobre

Guignard & Fabbri have my favorite FD of the season. I've thought all year that the RD was fun, but super crammed & needed time for them to conquer it & get it sharp. I thought they just achieved that at Europeans.

Taschlerova & Taschler have been getting stronger all year as well. They are at the stage where you have to prove yourself several times in a row to raise your scores. They started out the season with a mistake in two out of six performances; but they've hit the last two events solidly and that's what they need to do. I think they also cleaned up the positions in the RD because for the first time, I wasn't distracted by any of them. In any case, they split results with Lopareva & Brissaud at Europeans. T&T are, IMO, having a great season.

The scoring system has changed. It's more like the past. I wouldn't count on breakthroughs being the same as when the technical mark could make a rapid impact on a dance team's ranking.

Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky (ITA) also split last week. And it didn't sound amicable.
Oh, for crying out loud.

----

I haven't had time to post thoughts from the U.S. Nationals FD yet; but I will say this because it's something you can't fully see on the screen. Wolfkostin & Chen are now quite tall and their ice coverage is much better than the last time I saw them. They have the raw material that makes ice dance coaches salivate. W&C just have a lot of learning & honing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information