The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

On My Own

@SHARPIE has opened up the Kiss & Cry section now (until July 1, IIRC) so we’ll have competition play-by-play threads for WTT in the K&C 2022-23 sub forum.
Oh I meant like are we going to talk about the wtt results and ice dance in general in this thread, because I was curious what the next thread would be called lol

Dobre

On that note, I was just about to post this. Let me know if you see anything I've left out.

Ice Dance Drama Update:

Splits:

Wofkostin & Chen
Sales & Wamsteeker (She is on IPS).
Yu & Giang (He is on IPS).
Pham & Rogers
Cimlova & Polizoakis (She’s rumored to have repartnered, but I’m not certain if that partnership is confirmed yet).
O’Brian & Wiederkehr
Vainik & Barshak (He is on IPS).

New Teams:
Smart & Dieck

Coaching changes:
Stepanova & Bukin to Zhulin.

Aging or moving up to seniors:
Mrazkova & Mrazek
Bashynska & Beaumont
Lim & Quan
Bekker & Hernandez
Simova & Aksenov (to seniors-only now)
Gauthier & Thieren

Note: I don’t include novices on my summer dance drama list, but fyi, that Li & Le Coq have split as well. (He is on IPS).

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Oh I meant like are we going to talk about the wtt results and ice dance in general in this thread, because I was curious what the next thread would be called lol
A while back I came up with "Movin' On Up" for our next thread title, in honor of all the great teams transitioning to seniors. But I think we should hold off until after WTT. The season isn't officially over until then.

On My Own

A while back I came up with "Movin' On Up" for our next thread title, in honor of all the great teams transitioning to seniors. But I think we should hold off until after WTT. The season isn't officially over until then.
It should be a 1980s reference though lol

barbarafan

Regarding Stepanova & Bukin . . .

My feelings & expectations are tempered. I don't know if or when we will see them again in international competition. I have doubts about it happening at any time before Russia pulls out of Ukraine or a peace agreement is signed.

But at the moment, I'll set the unknown aside and give my thoughts on S/B if they should return to international competition this season. If we do see them in the near future and S/K really are done (which I think they are), S/B will be #1 for Russia; and it would be folly to think they can't be competitive. (Zhulin or not). However, S&B have taken a season off. Not just internationally, but really off. They also missed the competition this year, and while I think there are early basic training reasons that would/will hold quality Russian skaters in good stead upon a return, I also think this was a big year for the dance teams trying to climb up to be competitive with the current top 3. I think this was a bad year to be off--for S/B, and at the end of the season for Hawayek/Baker & Wang/Liu.

Any climb that could have happened for S/B hasn't happened. Meanwhile, you've got teams that were in that fight all season making that move. Winning a dance here or a dance there. Snagging an upset when a top team wasn't ready. Scoring within a point or two of a team on the podium. Earning the seeding positions that might help teams grab opportune GPs next season. Earning the Worlds placements that will increase teams' PCS and GOE the next time they go out on the ice. Also, I don't know what the political outcome will be for Russian athletes. Their position may very well not be as strong as it once was. In dance, it is both naive to believe every political complaint and naive to believe that politics has no impact on results. For certain, there won't be any home GP with huge Rostelecom marks.

What this leaves me with is middle ground when it comes to expectations. (I had high hopes, you know. I thought this last year would be a great season for this relatively young team with more experience than the athletes below them. That they would push the field, get that big Russian #1 ranking bump, pass a few teams, and by doing so, probably clear the field somewhat at the top for this quadrennium). Now, I don't feel that way. If I were a Fear & Gibson, Hawayek & Baker, or Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen fan, I would take any return by Stepanova & Bukin quite seriously. Those teams have never defeated S&B and should expect to have a fight on their hands there. If I were one of the three teams on the podium, though, I just wouldn't worry about it. I'd set my career goals for the quadrennium and the season and then let the team that skipped a whole year try to catch up.

----

*Zhulin, I would just as soon not see again. His quotes about Nazarova & Nikitin seem to me the type of thing that should send one into the dungeons of no-one-needs-to-hear-from-you-ever-again-in-skating society.
What did Zhulin say about Nazarova&Nikitin? I read he turned his back on them as did their very close training mates but did not read anything else.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
On that note, I was just about to post this. Let me know if you see anything I've left out.

Ice Dance Drama Update:

Splits:

Wofkostin & Chen
Pham & Rogers
Cimlova & Polizoakis (She’s rumored to have repartnered, but I’m not certain if that partnership is confirmed yet).
O’Brian & Wiederkehr
Oliver & Graham (POL) have split too - announced around the same time as Cimlova & Polizoakis. And in juniors Hubert & Oddson (CAN), plus several teams at the bottom of the JGP rankings.
Coaching changes:
Stepanova & Bukin to Zhulin.
Some ice dance women have moved to IAM: Marianne Hubert, Kayleigh Maksymec (SUI), Maxine Weatherby (competed for KAZ, 2019-20). (Source: IG ;) ) Doesn't appear that any of them have new partners yet, but not totally certain - maybe the IAM pull factor will help with that. Similarly Olivia Oliver now seems to be based with Zanni/Young Goose.

Andrea82

Ice Dance Drama Update:

Splits:

Wofkostin & Chen
Pham & Rogers
O’Brian & Wiederkehr
Carolina Portesi Peroni / Michael Chrastecky (Italy) have split too

Dobre

Some ice dance women have moved to IAM: Marianne Hubert, Kayleigh Maksymec (SUI), Maxine Weatherby (competed for KAZ, 2019-20). (Source: IG ;) ) Doesn't appear that any of them have new partners yet
Thanks, I think I will wait until we hear if any of them have partners to add individuals to the list, but I'll also mention here that Layla Karnes had IAM London on her IPS profile in mid-February. I see she's off of IPS now.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Thanks, I think I will wait until we hear if any of them have partners to add individuals to the list, but I'll also mention here that Layla Karnes had IAM London on her IPS profile in mid-February. I see she's off of IPS now.
She's also indicated (I think also on her IPS profile) that she would be interested in skating for the UK - I believe her mum is British so she's a dual national. I'm not unbiased here, but given the depth of the US dance field I think that could be a good move for her - partnership dependent, of course.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
She's also indicated (I think also on her IPS profile) that she would be interested in skating for the UK - I believe her mum is British so she's a dual national. I'm not unbiased here, but given the depth of the US dance field I think that could be a good move for her - partnership dependent, of course.
Maybe one of the Waddell brothers for her?

Dobre

I kind of thought we might hear which country Smart & Dieck were going to skate for shortly after Worlds was finished.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I kind of thought we might hear which country Smart & Dieck were going to skate for shortly after Worlds was finished.
Tim flew to Montreal the middle of last week, but Olivia looks to still be in the UK as of this morning (her 26th birthday). Maybe next week, presuming she heads back to Montreal in a day or two?

ice coverage

... I just think Z&K need to get out there. They need to experience competition in all kinds of scenarios. Disappointments. Successes. Pressure when there ultimately are real expectations. ...

Sincere thanks for your prolific thoughts on numerous couples.
I feel sure that Z/K are hungry to get out there and that they will be rarin' to go for more international assignments, both before and after their GP debut.
(Given their bye to Nats and guaranteed GP, I think it would be understandable for them to cut back on domestic competitions.
2023 NQS has only three dance events anyway: Lake Placid and Silicon Valley NQS are the same week; and Challenge Cup NQS is in late Sep.)

... I'll also mention here that Layla Karnes had IAM London on her IPS profile in mid-February. I see she's off of IPS now.

For many months, Layla's IPS profile had shown her affiliation with IAM Ontario.
FWIW, the link now says that she has not updated her bio in at least six months, so it no longer will be displayed.
No telling whether she still is looking for a partner or not ... or whether she has found one or not.
I like Layla -- would be happy if a comeback were to be in the cards for her.

ETA:​
Layla also has a strong background in solo dance. If she does not have a new partnership, maybe the prospect of ISU-level solo dance would interest her?​

Last edited:

Dobre

I like her too. I think she was always at Colorado Springs when I read about her before this recent posting via IPS? I wondered if perhaps she had only recently reached the stage where she was prepared to live in a new location for the sport & if that might help with finding a partner.

RoseRed

I like her too. I think she was always at Colorado Springs when I read about her before this recent posting via IPS? I wondered if perhaps she had only recently reached the stage where she was prepared to live in a new location for the sport & if that might help with finding a partner.
I'm pretty sure she's been with Scott in London for a while. A year at least, from what I remember.

Edit: I check with the Wayback machine, and her bio on IPS had her with Scott as early as March 2022.

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from the Browns' fan thread... (ETA that this news was posted first in the U.S. Ice Dance thread in GSD).

Announced by the Ice Academy of Montreal today (April 3, 2023): https://www.instagram.com/p/CqkuYfmLVsB/

Oona & Gage Brown, representing the 🇺🇸United States, are now part of the Ice Academy of Montreal in collaboration with their coaches, Joel Dear & Inese Bucevica.

The skaters will share their time between New York and Montréal, where they are fully integrated in the I. AM team. Oona and Gage have started training with us in the end of March. Their new programmes for the 2023/2024 season are being choreographed by @romain.haguenauer and @guillaume_cizeron .

We are very excited to have you with us, Oona and @gagebrown_ , work hard and Good Luck!!!
@thebrownsofficial_

Last edited:
it's sounding less & less like p/c are coming back

Why would they come back? I would love to see it but I am also not sure what would motivate them. Then again I never was sure what would motivate V&M to ever come back in 2016, and in retrospect it was a great choice to do so (not just winning another Olympic Gold, but coming back revived and bolstering their legacy and impression further with their performances).

Colonel Green

Why would they come back? I would love to see it but I am also not sure what would motivate them. Then again I never was sure what would motivate V&M to ever come back in 2016, and in retrospect it was a great choice to do so (not just winning another Olympic Gold, but coming back revived and bolstering their legacy and impression further with their performances).
V/M came back because they were (rather publicly) unhappy with how Sochi went. While their return was a surprise, I think the motive was readily apparent.

With P/C, their last season was an unambiguous triumph. While you can never downplay the lure of “more”, it’s undeniably rare for skaters to stop the grind of elite training for multiple years and then come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information