The best ever Female Pairs skater- tell us why

Who do you consider the best female pairs skater and why?

• Ekaterina Gordeeva

Votes: 45 30.0%
  • Irina Rodnina

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Aliona Savchenko

Votes: 42 28.0%
  • Xue Shen

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Natalia Mishkutenok

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Sui Wenjing

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Elena Berezhnaya

• Tatiana Totmianina

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Tatiana Volosozhar

• Other

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lurkz2

Duhamel (and Radford) landed a throw 4S in the individual competition free skate. James & Cipres attempted one. Sui & Han, Tarasova & Morozov, and Knierims technically did 'quads' in the form of quad twists.
Thanks @tony that's what I meant when I said Savchenko was not cutting edge for her era technically

hanca

Values her privacy
Duhamel (and Radford) landed a throw 4S in the individual competition free skate. James & Cipres attempted one. Sui & Han, Tarasova & Morozov, and Knierims technically did 'quads' in the form of quad twists.
Are you sure they did it at the Olympics? It seemed to me that everyone played it safe, but I may be mistaken. I do know that skaters were doing it the previous seasons, but somehow the points changed…

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Are you sure they did it at the Olympics? It seemed to me that everyone played it safe, but I may be mistaken. I do know that skaters were doing it the previous seasons, but somehow the points changed…
Yes, they did it :lol:. D/R had an injury-filled season the year before but came back with strong technical content in 2018. They also went for the throw 4S in the team event but it wasn't clean.

lurkz2

Yeah Savchenko and Massot were the only top pair that did not attempt a quad element at the Olympics. The points change was for this Olympic cycle and not the last.

quartz

scratching at the light
My pick is Xue Shen. The first time I saw her she was awkward, unsure, tentative, and clearly out of her comfort zone, but putting herself out there anyways. This was the Mulan program in boring grey costumes, I don’t even know what year or what competition it was. I loved her immediately. There was heart, there was soul, and there was determination, it was just hidden under the uncertainty. I knew she was going to be a star. Vancouver 2010 was my pairs highlight. Xue was absolutely glowing, mesmerizing and fully blossomed, the transition from deer in the headlights girl to confident fearless woman was incredible and complete. That she never seemed to realize how stunningly special she was, made her all the more endearing.

canbelto

BEST is Savchenko. Her longevity and ability to skate at such a high level for so long is amazing.

She's not my favorite though. My favorites are probably Katia Gordeeva, Natalia M and Elena Berezhnaya. All very different skaters but I loved their style.

Japanfan

I find it really hard to choose. Shen is probably my favorite, but because of the story, not only the skating. S/Z Turandot 2003 Worlds is my favorite program of all time, in all disciplines.

Loved Natalie M. as well!

Savchenko is great, obviously, but she's just never done it for me, for some reason.

Sui is my current favorite Pairs lady, but that's not surprising, I've long been a fan of Chinese skaters.

I am hoping that S/C knock it out of the ballpark in Beijing and perform a program that vies for GOAT.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am surprised that Volosozhar received only a few votes. May be because she won just 1 WC and 1 OGM? She was so talented! Amazing skater. I saw her skate live at the 2006 worlds with Stanislav Morozov. Her talent was evident but success came only after she found a good partner in Trankov.

Poodle

This is an old thread, but I’m new here although not new to figure skating. Unpopular opinion but Tatiana Totmianina has my vote. Reasons: exceptional basic skating skills, unparalleled body line and positions, consistency, command of technique, mental toughness.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is an old thread, but I’m new here although not new to figure skating. Unpopular opinion but Tatiana Totmianina has my vote. Reasons: exceptional basic skating skills, unparalleled body line and positions, consistency, command of technique, mental toughness.
It took a lot of mental toughness to overcome the horrific fall at Skate America. She had to convince Marinin that they could do it, when he had doubts (because of that accident). I always admired their consistency. Her edge on the landings of the throws was excellent. I loved their Snowstorm SP.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
That’s not quite correct. Savchenko did win her Olympics without quads, but I don’t think anyone else was doing them either at those Olympics. The point system changed that it was not worth the risk. But when others were trying quads (before the point values changed), Savchenko was also trying quad and 3A. In fact, Savchenko was even risking 3A at worlds.
However she never completed the quad or the throw 3A in a competition. She did try the throw 3A, but her best was a two foot landing. She was smart to not try it in the 2018;Olympics.

In 2017 Tarasova Morozov were doing the quad twist but they left it the following season because the reward was not worth the risk.

That said, Savchenko fully deserved her OGM and her world championships.

soogar

I am surprised that Volosozhar received only a few votes. May be because she won just 1 WC and 1 OGM? She was so talented! Amazing skater. I saw her skate live at the 2006 worlds with Stanislav Morozov. Her talent was evident but success came only after she found a good partner in Trankov.
I voted for Volosozhar. Gordeeva is the most popular and known which is why she is winning this poll, however pairs is a completely different sport now. It is way more acrobatic, especially with the lifts. What made G&G beautiful was that simple style and how they did everything to perfection. Moskvina’s pairs were ahead of their time with those acrobatic elements, and it doesn’t surprise me that she has two current top pairs because that creativity and daring is rewarded under this scoring system.

Volosozhar has unbelievable quality of elements. She’s very aesthetic in the air and hold lifts in strong positions. Aliona is the most tenacious, however Volosozhar IMO looks a little more elegant and neat that Aliona.

Xela M

It has to be Aliona. I mean - how can it not be?! :glamor:

But for me personally a close second favourite was the ever underrated Natalia Mishkutenok. She was absolutely gorgeous to watch and very unconventional for a pairs girl. Libestraum is still my favourite pairs long program (next to Aliona & Bruno's 2018 masterpiece of course)

Jamalele

I don't know why you would compare Gordeeva to Savchenko technically when they were competing in different eras. Technically, Gordeeva was cutting edge for her era for a time, which I don't think you can say for Savchenko. Gordeeva was even capable of a quad twist, while Savchenko won her Oly gold without quads while others were competing them.
I don't know why you would compare Gordeeva to Savchenko technically when they were competing in different eras. Technically, Gordeeva was cutting edge for her era for a time, which I don't think you can say for Savchenko. Gordeeva was even capable of a quad twist, while Savchenko won her Oly gold without quads while others were competing them.
As we can all see, A.S. even did not need these tricks in terms of Quads to win. But she wanted to go for the Quad Twist , Bruno was the one to refuse. They almost Even separated cause

Jamalele

As we can all see, A.S. even did not need these tricks in terms of Quads to win. But she wanted to go for the Quad Twist , Bruno was the one to refuse. They almost even separated because of disagreement about this and other stuff. Other part I read the 4 would cause more pain for his back already damaged.😊

Jamalele

Thanks @tony that's what I meant when I said Savchenko was not cutting edge for her era technically
No she was even able to win without Quad. She wanted to Go for 4 Twist but Bruno refused completely probably Causing more pain to his already damaged back. And lets Not forget how Quickly they raised others would Need much more time.😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information