The ALL NEW Youtube thread!!

floskate

Vacant
As an aside, Heiko Fischer had some lovely jumps; gorgeous loop. And that triple axel by Sabovcik :swoon: Such height and length. Old school jumping done to perfection :respec:

Last edited:

Areski

It is nice to see that their rotation is done while about 4-6 inches above the ice.

Back to axels ... I noticed that almost all these ladies competing in Euro / World / Olympic level competitions back in 60s / 70s / 80s with double axels were executing this jump with the utmost quality. Caroll Heiss the first woman to perform a double axel back in the 50s already having very beautiful one. Quite striking when you watch that especially as nowadays we have plethora of ladies excelling & possessing the whole array of more difficult jumps / jump combination but the very quality of double axel took a dive. Their predecessors from the bygone era used to have barely any triples at all but still possessing good axel technique. Nowadays we see lots of cheated technique, wobbly landing edges (sometimes even landing on the inside edge), no height, no step into it etc. Complicated transitions into the jump and arm above the had can't work as an excuse for that, it's merely a disguise to milk GOE bullets despite the fundamentals being barely acceptable (they can somehow make it count and land 90% of time).

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Back to axels ... I noticed that almost all these ladies competing in Euro / World / Olympic level competitions back in 60s / 70s / 80s with double axels were executing this jump with the utmost quality. Caroll Heiss the first woman to perform a double axel back in the 50s already having very beautiful one. Quite striking when you watch that especially as nowadays we have plethora of ladies excelling & possessing the whole array of more difficult jumps / jump combination but the very quality of double axel took a dive. Their predecessors from the bygone era used to have barely any triples at all but still possessing good axel technique. Nowadays we see lots of cheated technique, wobbly landing edges (sometimes even landing on the inside edge), no height, no step into it etc. Complicated transitions into the jump and arm above the had can't work as an excuse for that, it's merely a disguise to milk GOE bullets despite the fundamentals being barely acceptable (they can somehow make it count and land 90% of time).

You're probably right about it being a generational thing.

I remember asking a national judge twenty years ago why good double axel technique seemed less important than it used to. Their answer was that a few of the coaches and skaters thought of it as a nothing jump, in comparison to getting as many different triples as possible.

floskate

Vacant
This was something of a labour of love - I started it months ago but just got around to finishing it off. This is a tribute to the great British ice dancers of the 1960's and 70's. Featuring Towler & Ford, Janet Sawbridge and her partners David Hickinbottom, Jon Lane (Carol's husband) and Peter Dalby, Hilary Green & Glyn Watts, Susan Getty & Roy Bradshaw and Yvonne Suddick and her two partners, Roger Kennerson and Malcolm Cannon. Ice dance from the 60's and early 70's rocks!

British Ice Dance - The Golden Age
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KbjVEFnPZ0

gk_891

And this one I uploaded for @N_Halifax to accompany his recent fabulous article on Angelika & Erich Buck of West Germany. They were Betty Callaway's first really successful international team and beat Pakhomova & Gorshkov in a shock result at the 1972 Europeans in Gothenburg. Here they are a year earlier.

Angelika & Erich Buch - 1971 Europeans FD
https://youtu.be/7woQMJkoBOs

Thanks for that. They skated the original Ravensburger Waltz as an OSP, didn't they?

I hope to one day see the original Tango Romantica (P&G), Ravensburger Waltz (B&B), and Yankee Polka (S&S)

floskate

Vacant
Thanks for that. They skated the original Ravensburger Waltz as an OSP, didn't they?

I hope to one day see the original Tango Romantica (P&G), Ravensburger Waltz (B&B), and Yankee Polka (S&S)

Yes that's right. P&G and S&S demonstrated both their dances at the 1975 Worlds during the exhibitions. (Gorshkov fell though - possibly due to the illness he'd had which forced their last minute withdrawal from that competition although they were allowed to skate not only the Tango Romantica but their usual exhibitions as well.)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

This was something of a labour of love - I started it months ago but just got around to finishing it off. This is a tribute to the great British ice dancers of the 1960's and 70's. Featuring Towler & Ford, Janet Sawbridge and her partners David Hickinbottom, Jon Lane (Carol's husband) and Peter Dalby, Hilary Green & Glyn Watts, Susan Getty & Roy Bradshaw and Yvonne Suddick and her two partners, Roger Kennerson and Malcolm Cannon. Ice dance from the 60's and early 70's rocks!

British Ice Dance - The Golden Age
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KbjVEFnPZ0

6.0 from me! I love that music choice, too.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Totally, she definitely had a top 5, if not top 3, quality free skate!

Agreed. In 1983, it was really clear without the likes of 1982 Champion, Elaine Zayak (who had to withdraw) and 1981 Champion, Denise Biellmann (who had turned pro after her win) how much lower the technical jumping standard was at those world championships in Helsinki.

Seerek

This is quite a rare program. Sandra Bezic skating with her brother Val at the 1971 Worlds in Lyon, France. I don't know of any other existing footage of Sandra skating as an amateur. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgY9prYOh8c

Seeing the Bezics use Glazunov's "The Seasons" for their own competitive program now makes a lot of sense, since excerpts from "Autumn" would later be used by Sandra Bezic as choreographer when she designed Jill Trenary's long program from 1987-88 (it was the last piece of that particular program).

skatesindreams

Thank you for sharing.
Karen was spectacular!
This performance announced her as a contender; which she indeed always was, for the remainder of her career.

Geh

Live in Guardian Angel
Some skating videos seems impossible to find... Does they exist?

Example : the original program of Kristy Yamaguchi in 1990 wold.

Same thing with the original program of Rosalyn Sumners un 1983 world...

Thanks!

bardtoob

People have often wondered whether in fact Tracey Wainman was deserving of her 1986 Canadian title, well we now have the direct comparison:

Elizabeth Manley - 1986 Canadian Championships Long Program
Tracey Wainman - 1986 Canadian Championships Long Program

:eek: Thank you! Very Interesting . . .

Elizabeth Manley - 1986 Canadian Nationals SP
Tracy Wainman - 1986 Canadian Nationals SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE0wn9fj38U
Note: Liz does a so-called "Rippon" 2Lz in the SP :eek:

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
One of my all time favorite pairs couples was Calla Urbanski and Rocky Marval. Their artistry was very unique at times and I loved their technical side, too.

This particular program was from the 1996 US Pro Championships - Hanky Panky The overall score was 98.0. Urbanski/Marval - KNC

I also felt fortunate to have ESPN Classic a few years back when there was a skating Marathon shown. One of the competitions shown was the 1988 World Professional Skating Championships. Sharing Lea Ann Miller and Bill Fauver's Artistic Pairs Program, O Mio Babbino Caro

Last edited:

floskate

Vacant
Remember Mark & Melissa Militano? The first pair to land sbs double axels and throw double axel in the same program (1972 Olympics) and Melissa was also one of the first women ever to complete clean triple jumps in the very early 1970's. Here they are in 1971 at the Words in Lyon skating an innovative program that the crowds loved but the judges less so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHX2g49rMCQ

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Remember Mark & Melissa Militano? The first pair to land sbs double axels and throw double axel in the same program (1972 Olympics) and Melissa was also one of the first women ever to complete clean triple jumps in the very early 1970's. Here they are in 1971 at the Words in Lyon skating an innovative program that the crowds loved but the judges less so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHX2g49rMCQ

Beautiful performance. Thank you for sharing.

I love their throw axel technique. Mark seems to almost assist Melissa through the rotation, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information