The ALL NEW Youtube thread!!

ldec

@floskate: Thank you so much for sharing this (and multiple other) videos. This is an iconic performance of Yuri Ovchinnikov that I thought has been lost forever, so imagine how happy I was when one of my readers shared this link with me:

Single axels have never been better indeed!

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
I thought I'd add a couple of performances from a skater that's sort of been forgotten about over the years. I loved Scott Davis's stamina and resilience with all his programs. He was in the top ten, eighth to be exact, when he competed at the 1994 Olympics.

Scott skated these two programs at the 1995 Vail Skating Festival.

Scott Davis skates to Zorba the Greek

Scott Davis skates to You've Got the Look

I'm sorry to say that the music, You've Got the Look, was muted during his program which happens sometimes. You can still see his fabulous skating, though. :(

Plusdinfo

Scott was a very talented skater. To take consecutive national titles over Todd Eldredge, Mark Mitchell, Brian Boitano, and others is an incredible feat.

floskate

Vacant
@floskate: Thank you so much for sharing this (and multiple other) videos. This is an iconic performance of Yuri Ovchinnikov that I thought has been lost forever, so imagine how happy I was when one of my readers shared this link with me:

Single axels have never been better indeed!
You're very welcome. I love this performance and the step sequence is fantastic!

bardtoob

Clichy Competitive Audition Protocol Auditor
I never realized that Charlie Tickner had a 3Lz.

His 1980 World Long Program is one of my favorites. It feels like a real swan song.

Last edited:

DorvillTean

Before Ice Dance, Jayne Torvill was a Pairs skater. Here, 12 years before her Olympic Bolero: Jayne Torvill with partner Michael Hutchinson in the Pairs Category @1972 Europeans

Erin

I've been (slowly) uploading some of my DVDs on to YouTube here:

Trying to figure out what kinds of stuff that I have that isn't already out there and prioritize that. Open to suggestions/requests, if it's something that I have. Most of what I have is 1981-2013, mainly US and Canadian coverage, with some Japanese in there too.

Last edited:

essence_of_soy

Trying to figure out what kinds of stuff that I have that isn't already out there and prioritize that. Open to suggestions/requests, if it's something that I have. Most of what I have is 1981-2013, mainly US and Canadian coverage, with some Japanese in there too.
I love what you have posted so far. Thank you so much.

alchemy void

campaigning for Surya's 06 Olympic bronze

This is great! Thanks for sharing.

Do you have any late 90s Canadian ladies nationals? :EVILLE:

I have a thing for that era of Canadian ladies. Yes, they were complete trainwrecks, but had potential and were entertaining to watch.

Erin

This is great! Thanks for sharing.

Do you have any late 90s Canadian ladies nationals? :EVILLE:

I have a thing for that era of Canadian ladies. Yes, they were complete trainwrecks, but had potential and were entertaining to watch.
Lol yes I do! It’s so funny to me that you are the second person to request Canadian ladies trainwrecks, as someone on YouTube asked me for 1996 Canadian ladies. I’ll make those a priority. Also, as someone who sat through them live, 2000 and 2001 were also pretty trainwreck-y. (Nicole Watt, national silver medallist says it all...)

alchemy void

campaigning for Surya's 06 Olympic bronze
Lol yes I do! It’s so funny to me that you are the second person to request Canadian ladies trainwrecks, as someone on YouTube asked me for 1996 Canadian ladies. I’ll make those a priority. Also, as someone who sat through them live, 2000 and 2001 were also pretty trainwreck-y. (Nicole Watt, national silver medallist says it all...)
Thank you! There's so little Keyla Ohs and Angie Derochie content on youtube. :drama:

essence_of_soy

Thank you! There's so little Keyla Ohs and Angie Derochie content on youtube. :drama:
Ohs was a decent artist, but man, she was over-hyped. The jumps she had really weren't enough to compete on the international level.

Too bad Derochie wasn't sent to the Olympic Qualifying event in 1997. When she was on, Angela was quite the power skater and the presence.

Erin

Ohs was a decent artist, but man, she was over-hyped. The jumps she had really weren't enough to compete on the international level.

Too bad Derochie wasn't sent to the Olympic Qualifying event in 1997. When she was on, Angela was quite the power skater and the presence.
It probably wouldn't have mattered if she was sent there. I've posted this a few times before, but once you work through all the other countries at the qualifying event who were from other countries or who declined the Olympic spot, Humphreys actually did end up as earning a qualifying spot for Canada. But no one in Canada met the COA standards (except for Humphreys, who was no longer skating at that point), so Canada also had to decline the spot. I guess the only way it could have made a difference would be if Derochie earned the spot outright rather than as an alternate, and Humphreys kept skating through the season as a result. Then they could have either sent Humphreys or it's possible that if Derochie beat Humphreys at Canadians, the COA would have let Derochie go based on how the Sandhu situation was handled. [The COA said that since Sandhu (who hadn't met COA criteria) beat Langdon (who did meet COA critiera) at Canadians, the CFSA could choose to send Sandhu over Langdon, but couldn't send them both.] But anyway, that's kind of a stretch, as Humphreys was pretty beat up physically and emotionally that fall. The broadcast also didn't make any of this super clear at all.

Sorry, super off-topic for the YouTube thread. If we want to further discuss Canadian ladies, maybe we should start a new thread. On-topic is that I've got 1996 through 1998 Canadians uploaded to YouTube and am working on 1999. So if someone does start a new thread, there will be video evidence for anyone who wants to debate the various merits of Humphreys, Ohs, Derochie, JSlo, Netty Kim, Annie Bellemare, Michelle Currie, etc.

Last edited:

Erin

@alchemy void - it might just be you and me, but I'm in. (2011 Euros was also pretty bad, but at least that one had a good skate at the end to look forward to...this one, not so much)

Tony Wheeler

It probably wouldn't have mattered if she was sent there. I've posted this a few times before, but once you work through all the other countries at the qualifying event who were from other countries or who declined the Olympic spot, Humphreys actually did end up as earning a qualifying spot for Canada.
This is incorrect. Penkova was the last qualifier and was at the Olympics. Szewczenko and Czako were withdrawn late, leaving 28 (Szewczenko was 2 days before the SP, I forget about Czako but I think it was sometime after the start of the Games as well). Humphreys and/or Canada would've been next in line, but she didn't qualify based on her Karl Schafer placement even if the substitutes went wayyyy down the list. It was too late, and Hungary and Germany would've probably been able to replace their own skaters if there was enough time.

ETA- I just did a quick search to try to investigate. Both seem to have withdrawn on February 15. The SP was on the 18th.

Last edited:

3T3T

That was such a joyous and happy performance. Her beaming smile from the get go, the warmth & support of the audience, surrounded by her teammates in the K&C. what a lovely way to start the day.

It made me go back and watch this. Calgary 88 LP, how was she not placed first for this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information