Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Sonata

I'm so proud! They look so elegant, positively royal and yet remain so modest. What Scott said to Tessa : "I don't know if I deserve to be on the walk of fame, but I'm damn sure that YOU deserve to be on the walk of fame". And then, "To Canada's Walk of Fame board members - we're confused, but extremely grateful for this induction".

He seems a bit overwhelmed. Reminds me of Tessa's reaction on learning they had won People's Choice Award: "Are we being punked?"

Congratulations to V/M!

kittysk8ts

We aren't allowed to post pics, are we? My friend who attended the CWOF sent me a pic of Scott and Tessa visiting with her parents at their family table (Hadfield family). She said they were absolutely lovely and so very very gracious. This is not surprising to us, of course, but thought I would share anyway. I will send it to some of you in a private message as that should be ok.

ETA: I cannot figure out how to send the pic. Apologies. I am technologically stunned.

Last edited:

Golden1

That's too bad that posting pics isn't allowed here. I would love to see the pic but great to hear the story anyway. Thank you!

Here are two more interviews: ET CP24
They look amazing! Green is really Tessa's color.
And how amazing was their acceptance speech! Scott's comment about Tessa deserving the star was just :wuzrobbed.

kittysk8ts

That's too bad that posting pics isn't allowed here. I would love to see the pic but great to hear the story anyway. Thank you!

And how amazing was their acceptance speech! Scott's comment about Tessa deserving the star was just :wuzrobbed.
Green REALLY is her colour. And there is another pic floating around with her wearing a gown that has a chartreuse skirt. GORGEOUS.

Emdee

Thanks for posting this.

Whenever I hear them speak, their warmth, their humility...it just makes me tear up and be proud to be Canadian.

Golden1

Scott and Tessa did an event at an Indigo in Vancouver and they talked about their career. That's what Scott said about the time before Sochi.
A whole bunch of things happened to us. I remember, we asked Marina in the beginning after London Worlds in 2013 if she thought we could win the Olympics and she didn’t answer us. Our head coach… we didn’t feel confident or strong enough to leave at that time, looking back, that said we should’ve, our agent left us, we didn’t feel like we were getting a ton of support nationally so we felt so alone.
Source for transcript of the video
I don't remember hearing about the Marina scene before. The more I learn about that time the prouder I am of them.

kittysk8ts

Scott and Tessa did an event at an Indigo in Vancouver and they talked about their career. That's what Scott said about the time before Sochi.
I don't remember hearing about the Marina scene before. The more I learn about that time the prouder I am of them.
Thank you for posting this. Ya, it was obvious something was happening that season - their tv show certainly alluded to some of this. To hear that Marina did not even respond when he asked her if she thought they could win in Sochi.....OUCH. Also, the whole Marina/Igor split was just a season or two before all of this.

I have always maintained that they made the choice to stay with Marina. Reading this today, I feel the need to walk some of that back.

But without Sochi - no Pyeongchang and the complete and utter glory of those Games.

Golden1

Does anyone here know why that season Scott and Tessa didn't have the national support that they had had before?
That agent probably really regrets leaving them now.
However, you are so right. They probably wouldn't have tried for another gold if they had gotten it in 2014 and I am SO happy that we got them back for two more seasons.

Goody2shoes

Thanks for sharing this transcript. Mix of sad and immense proudness for them though. They're wrong to think that they were alone. If anything, I think their fanbase grew after Vancouver. Being here then, I felt a lot of you rallied behind them all those seasons heading to Sochi.

But I don't think I'm surprised that Tessa and Scott picked up on that (nagging) feeling/vibe (plus Marina's none answer) even before they were competing into Sochi Winter games. Thinking back on their Carmen routine, or any of the routines (season 2012 to Sochi). Always "something" wrong. Of course they were right that they have no control of the judges' scoring. But I did feel they were pulled back for no reason. It became even clearer (to me) after their best performance in the season of their (Finn Step) SD dance at Sochi, they were set to be awarded silver. No ifs about it. (Hate to rehash the past) Well, at least the silver lining after Sochi, is they've gained great new coaches, B2Ten and new choreographers, leading them to newfound confidence and burning desire/drive to redeem themselves. I think them True Olympians :)

Emdee

The SD in Sochi was just fabulous. But the positions were preordained.
I dont think they were slated to win in Pyeong Chang it felt like it was against the odds. But I think social media really brought to the forefront their exceptional SD and the inequality of marking. When they laid down that mesmerizing and technically perfect performance of MR they became unstoppable.

Shayii

I was rewatching the Latch FD from Worlds and the collective gasp from the audience when Scott trips lol (I can laugh about it now). Watching the GPF final this weekend I couldn't help thinking about how Tessa and Scott would have killed (in a good way!) this Tango Romantica!

pani

I was rewatching the Latch FD from Worlds and the collective gasp from the audience when Scott trips lol (I can laugh about it now). Watching the GPF final this weekend I couldn't help thinking about how Tessa and Scott would have killed (in a good way!) this Tango Romantica!
For me the best Latch was at NHK.

Shayii

For me the best Latch was at NHK.
Same! I usually rewatch that version and also for the Prince SD (that SD was so amazing I get goosebumps just thinking about it). You would never have known Scott was having a really emotionally difficult time because of the passing of his friend and grandfather.

sap5

Thank you for posting this. Ya, it was obvious something was happening that season - their tv show certainly alluded to some of this. To hear that Marina did not even respond when he asked her if she thought they could win in Sochi.....OUCH. Also, the whole Marina/Igor split was just a season or two before all of this.

I have always maintained that they made the choice to stay with Marina. Reading this today, I feel the need to walk some of that back.

But without Sochi - no Pyeongchang and the complete and utter glory of those Games.

Who do you think made VM stay with Marina if not VM?

Emdee

Yes, they made the decision to stay but even while they did they felt excluded and out in the cold.
Historically, they knew what happened to BA after they left Marina. Marina appears to have constantly played favourites excluding one team in favour of another.

puglover

Just me guessing but I think in such an intense relationship built on trust and gratitude and appreciation, it probably felt disloyal to even begin to question their coaching. Sometimes others outside of a relationship can see things changing much quicker than the people involved. There seemed to be lots of reassurances as well, as they speak of meeting with Marina and coming away feeling understood, then having questions arise again. In my own limited experience, this kind of thing so not uncommon in skating. It just seems very short sighted to have happened to them at that stage of their careers.

D

Deleted member 74551

I’m sure I’ve heard it said before that Skate Canada didn’t want them to leave Marina after 2013 Worlds because they thought it was too late and would confirm the impression they were the #2 team. Perhaps it was the BBC commentators? I think it might’ve been.

ETA: Robin Cousins definitely said on the BBC coverage of Pyeongchang that VM had been told to stay put.

Last edited by a moderator:

kittysk8ts

Who do you think made VM stay with Marina if not VM?
Sorry, I guess what I meant is that I could never bring myself to actually blame Marina for some of the troubles because they chose to stay when things got a little messy (Igor leaving, D/W beating them more regularly) But I did not know that she refused to answer when Scott asked her if they could win in Sochi. So, I guess what I mean is, perhaps she deserves the criticism. I never thought she was at fault, but this is new information, and I am re-thinking that whole situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information