Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir # 47: Come What May...

alice73

Sorry to come into this thread to be the projector of doom and gloom, but unless the French team makes a visible error at the Olympics, they will get gold. Even if T/S skate lights out. Just finished watching free dance at Europeans. The French set another world record. TAT was sobbing after their skate, saying it's a masterpiece, not a program to some movie which sounded like she was throwing a subtle shade at T/S. Even when P/C did have less than perfect twizzles in the short dance, they still got a pretty high score. I think it's a done deal in the judges' eyes and T/S just can't compete with that. I'm heartbroken for T/S. Their best bet to get gold is the team event. I sincerely hope they get it.

ngcskate

Tessa and Scott did get a higher score than P/C at Canadians, but since National Championships aren't an ISU event, P/C have the "World Record" score. I say we just let them skate and what will be will be.

alice73

TAT wasn't really throwing any shade at T/S with that comment...
TAT was praising the French program, saying that there's nothing better, a masterpiece as opposed to some program set to a musical or movie. She made a direct comparison. She was implying that the French program is superior. It's not just her comments I'm concerned about. P/C got a very high score for the short with less than perfect twizzles. And overall their short wasn't as good as GP final. To me they were overscored in the short and on top of it all, they keep setting world record at every competition. The judges have set the trend. Unless they make a serious mistake, they will get gold.

alice73

I'm relatively new here, so just to clarify. I've been Tessa and Scott fan since 2008. I drove from New York to Montreal just to watch them live at CSOI in 2010 after they won the Olympics. I was so happy to see them come back. I wish nothing less for T/S than to win gold again. I just don't see it happening in the individual event.

Last edited:

muffinplus

TAT was praising the French program, saying that there's nothing better, a masterpiece as opposed to some program set to a musical or movie. She made a direct comparison. She was implying that the French program is superior. It's not just her comments I'm concerned about. P/C got a very high score for the short with less than perfect twizzles. And overall their short wasn't as good as GP final. To me they were overscored in the short and on top of it all, they keep setting world record at every competition. The judges have set the trend. Unless they make a serious mistake, they will get gold.

I think you are reading too much into what TAT said . But yeah, I do agree, if both P/C and V/M skate cleanly, I would be very, very surprised if V/M won. Whatever though, they are still brilliant.

alice73

I think you are reading too much into what TAT said . But yeah, I do agree, if both P/C and V/M skate cleanly, I would be very, very surprised if V/M won. Whatever though, they are still brilliant.
Absolutely they are brilliant and they are legends. After this Olympics they will tie the record of Klimova/Ponomarenko for 3 medals at 3 consecutive Olympics.

Golden1

Sorry to come into this thread to be the projector of doom and gloom, but unless the French team makes a visible error at the Olympics, they will get gold. Even if T/S skate lights out. Just finished watching free dance at Europeans. The French set another world record. TAT was sobbing after their skate, saying it's a masterpiece, not a program to some movie which sounded like she was throwing a subtle shade at T/S. Even when P/C did have less than perfect twizzles in the short dance, they still got a pretty high score. I think it's a done deal in the judges' eyes and T/S just can't compete with that. I'm heartbroken for T/S. Their best bet to get gold is the team event. I sincerely hope they get it.
Rationally I know that you are probably right but emotionally I hope that the judges really judge the performance on that day and for me it's clear that if both teams are clean the gold medal has to go to Tessa and Scott. There is a clear difference in artistry and technique and that has to be worth something.

I'm so happy that Tessa and Scott were chosen to be the flag bearer. I'm sure that this alone is such an honor for them that the comeback and all that hard work has been worth it alone for that.

I read on tumblr that Scott said at Nationals that they will do a different exhibition program at the Olympics. Maybe they are doing the original one. One more reason to be excited for the Games.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
I don’t know... I feel like the momentum is starting to shift V/M’s way after the changes to the FD. P/C still haven’t gotten full levels for their SD, if V/M can manage it, they’ll build enough of a lead in the SD to make it interesting.

And I hate to say it, but it’s likely gonna come down to the skating order in the SD and FD :watch:

irena

Everything points that the judges prefer P/C and if both skate clean, the French will be given the gold. I am afraid with such generosity of their marks, even with minor mistakes, they will still get the gold. It is not fair, but skating has alawys been so political. I just hope that V/M will still be able to enjoy their moment no matter what happens and it is their love for skating that will prevail among all the rest. I want them to leave this ice happy people and I am sure their performances will be remembered in the years to come, not the French ones. I do not say the French are not good, But for four years they did not dare to change or develop artisticaly at all.

Rafter

I don’t know... I feel like the momentum is starting to shift V/M’s way after the changes to the FD. P/C still haven’t gotten full levels for their SD, if V/M can manage it, they’ll build enough of a lead in the SD to make it interesting.

And I hate to say it, but it’s likely gonna come down to the skating order in the SD and FD :watch:

Aren’t VM skating in the second to last group in the SD?

The marking in the SD during the team completion will set the tone and give some insight.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Just like last time the writing is on the wall imo. I love both teams, absolutely, but T&S bring something special even if I hate their programs this season. (I do not think D&W deserved an OGM in Sochi... I'm a bad American!)

At least we're lucky to see two amazing ice dancing teams like this who are so well-matched unlike the last rivalry, if you ask me...

Isabelle.G

I saw this post on Instagram that Tarasova said about Virtue:

https://instagram.com/p/BeIWMTnldIq/

The highest of compliments. I would copy and paste it but my phone won’t let me. Maybe someone else can?

There's the text (It couldn't have been said better):
“Tessa Virtue - a diamond in figure skating. In a very expensive cut.

She’s the strongest technically among all current females in ice dance. She has unique, stunning skating skills.
This is a real gift from God.” ✨
-Tatiana Tarasova-

chantilly

Are the judges at Europeans the same as at the Olympics?
I read in another thread that 4 are from the GPF and 4 are from the Europeans that just happened, plus Sharon Rogers from USA who hasn’t been kind to V and M in the past.

chantilly

V and M will need to win the SD by at least 3 points and stay within a point or so to win.

It’s possible but not likely

I think the French will need to make significant errors to lose the gold.

I just feel the marks should be at least close in the FD if they skate clean.

nlyoung

I posted in the dance thread that the marks at the Olympics won't be as high as the panels will be split. I suspect we will be able to predict the final standings based on who draws for each event, but there is a very high probability that P/C will be ahead in the team event regardless of how they skate simply because this helps more countries in the race for team medals. The judges do seem to prefer P/C's free dance, but they won't get the same high scores unless they skate after V/M with a mistake. Otherwise marks will be close, but split depending on preference. I won't be surprised to see V/M win the SD in the individual competition, as the judges will be able to have P/C win the FD and overall with less speculation about marks. I'm sure V/M will be disappointed if they don't win gold, but if they skate great they should be satisfied knowing that it was really out of their hands.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
V&M have one advantage over P&C and that is experience - it's their 3rd Olympics and they know the drill
So . . . .
If P&C get a bit rattled by nerves, excitement, etc because it's their first Olys and so make mistakes.
If V&M get to skate the FD after P&C so the judges can give them higher marks if they absolutely bring the house down and create a special moment that can't be denied.
If V&M skate pristinely clean in both SD and FD including getting all level 4's.
Then maybe they'll win the gold medal.

That's a lot of ifs.

P&C also have a chance to shake out the nerves in the Team event, plus they don't strike me as the kind of people to get rattled too easily.

I wish V&M weren't carrying the flag. It will mean 2-3 hours hanging around in -14 (7F) weather. Colder if there's a wild chill. There's no heating in the area that the teams wait to come into the stadium, and it's an outdoor stadium so no heating there either. Being cold, especially for a long period of time is exhausting. I hope it doesn't affect them too much.

I'm so sad for V&M. I think the writing is on the wall for P&C to win.

Hope dies last of course . . . . . . .

Goody2shoes

V&M have one advantage over P&C and that is experience - it's their 3rd Olympics and they know the drill
So . . . .
If P&C get a bit rattled by nerves, excitement, etc because it's their first Olys and so make mistakes.
If V&M get to skate the FD after P&C so the judges can give them higher marks if they absolutely bring the house down and create a special moment that can't be denied.
If V&M skate pristinely clean in both SD and FD including getting all level 4's.
Then maybe they'll win the gold medal.

That's a lot of ifs.

P&C also have a chance to shake out the nerves in the Team event, plus they don't strike me as the kind of people to get rattled too easily.

I wish V&M weren't carrying the flag. It will mean 2-3 hours hanging around in -14 (7F) weather. Colder if there's a wild chill. There's no heating in the area that the teams wait to come into the stadium, and it's an outdoor stadium so no heating there either. Being cold, especially for a long period of time is exhausting. I hope it doesn't affect them too much.

I'm so sad for V&M. I think the writing is on the wall for P&C to win.

Hope dies last of course . . . . . . .
To me, it really shouldn't matter where skaters are placed. Though, yes, maybe skating 2-to-last or last placement would be great IF you are usually the team that are stronger/better in skates. Still - it's down to the skating skills/technique skaters do that should matter.

Right now, it seems like even (if say) it looks to be "clean or not", a judge/tech panel can call it what they want. i.e subjective. They (or fans argue) claim they see it (better) due to hidden cameras available only to them, etc. Irritating but it's a common excuse used time and again. Frustrating because it's more obvious since now we can read the protocols and relate to what we can see on the televised version. Even then, it's still down our trust that the judges will be honourable, objective and impartial.

nlyoung

Looking at things objectively, the two top teams are so close together and are both so deserving of the gold, that there will be very little objection if either team is placed first. Looking at the team competition, I think it is pretty certain that Canada and France will support their teams. That is understandable and in fact there is nothing wrong with that. I think it is also fairly certain that both the US and Russia will place P/C above V/M regardless of how they skate as this will keep the point spread closer. I will be happy to be proven wrong and this is just my opinion, but it seems fairly clear to me...

volunteer

VM have never skated better than they are today. Their body of work and talent are unsurpassed. They are seasoned Olympic competitors, and know exactly what to expect and it appears that they are going to make the best of their Olympic experience.

If politics dictate the outcome, then so be it; it'll be the sad, embarrassing legacy of ice dance. As a fan of ice dance, all I can do is appreciate what I see with my own eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information