Tarasova/Morozov Cheer Thread

aftershocks

Banned Member
There's still plenty of room in the Pairs PBP for gloating.

It's not gloating. T/M have not been given the message all season long aside from GPF and now the Olympics that their fp leaves a lot to be desired. But published reviews and commentary all over the place have warned them all season and they stubbornly stuck with that program. I think that's boneheaded. Why stick with something that wrong? It does nothing for them. All commentators have pointed that out. What's the difficulty?

Still no music suggestions from T/M fans? If they get something worthy of their talent, then they would deserve their high scores. And they do need to project more. If you are their fan, can't you see that?

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I really loved their sp from last season. I think smth in that vain, playful and youthful, suits them better right now.

I think they thought that's what they were going for with this fp. But seriously, they should have kept something light for their sp, and something more classic for their fp. But they did it the other way around. I still can't understand why no one close to them didn't get them to dump that Candyman program?! Even Russia advocate Johnny Weir pointed out that it's simply NOT their style. Kristi Yamaguchi said it dilutes what T/M are good at. Don't you guys see that???

caseyedwards

It's not gloating. T/M have not been given the message all season long aside from GPF and now the Olympics that their fp leaves a lot to be desired. But published reviews and commentary all over the place has warned them all season and they stubbornly stuck with that program. I think that's boneheaded. Why stick with something that wrong? It does nothing for them. All commentators have pointed that out. What's the difficulty?

Still no music suggestions from T/M fans? If they get something worthy of their talent, then they would deserve their high scores. And they do need to project more. If you are their fan, can't you see that?
Everyone can see it! But there is the Russia thread!

Elkmaria

This is the podium I wanted, and I'm completely happy that it came out the way I'd hoped.
What a curious thing to say in a cheer thread. Well, this is not exactly the podium I wanted - happy for S/M and S/H, but would far prefer T/M, J/C and even M/H or Z/E to D/R. But it is what it is, and I think the judging was fair, so have to live with that.

As for music suggestions, I second the poster from the Russian thread who wrote that they need powerful classical pieces. More Rachmaninov. Or Tchaikovsky, and IMO a symphony would work much better than a ballet which is the most common choice in figure skating. I think they might do a great Shostakovich program - his music is very charismatic. Beethoven and even Brahms would also be a good choice. They just need to stay away from lyrical pieces and choose something majestic and passionate.
Actually, I think that the general idea of having one powerful classical program and one light-hearted program is good. But the specific choice of songs this year was unfortunate. I loved their short last season, and I think this is the kind of light-hearted music they need to look for.
And they definitely need beautiful costumes. They are both so good-looking that it's a crime to dress them like this.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yes, T/M need better costumes and the right music that enhances their style. With the right music, even they will be inspired and motivated, and likely not be as prone to errors under pressure situations.

There's a gorgeous photo of T/M posted in the Russian thread awhile back with Vlad lying on his back holding Evgenia straight above him. Evgenia is staring down into Vlad's eyes and wearing a lovely dress. They look romantic together and very in to each other. Something we never see on the ice. That's what they need to be going for, and hopefully they will. I have more hope for T/M than I have for Z/E.

NAOTMAA

What a curious thing to say in a cheer thread. Well, this is not exactly the podium I wanted - happy for S/M and S/H, but would far prefer T/M, J/C and even M/H or Z/E to D/R. But it is what it is, and I think the judging was fair, so have to live with that.

As for music suggestions, I second the poster from the Russian thread who wrote that they need powerful classical pieces. More Rachmaninov. Or Tchaikovsky, and IMO a symphony would work much better than a ballet which is the most common choice in figure skating. I think they might do a great Shostakovich program - his music is very charismatic. Beethoven and even Brahms would also be a good choice. They just need to stay away from lyrical pieces and choose something majestic and passionate.
Actually, I think that the general idea of having one powerful classical program and one light-hearted program is good. But the specific choice of songs this year was unfortunate. I loved their short last season, and I think this is the kind of light-hearted music they need to look for.
And they definitely need beautiful costumes. They are both so good-looking that it's a crime to dress them like this.

Reading this just makes me depressed that Manfred Symphony never made it to the Olympics. What a masterpiece! Poor K&S :( And poor T/M for having to be the ones who repeat what K&S went through in 2010. I was hoping no Russian team would have to go through that again :wuzrobbed

But I totally agree with you. I think the Rachmaninov SP proved that the dramatic classical pieces are their best friend. It really shows them off in the best light. They also seem really comfortable with it and that makes a huge difference in how they come off. They seem to come more alive with the more powerful then the softer

Elkmaria

Reading this just makes me depressed that Manfred Symphony never made it to the Olympics. What a masterpiece!
I agree! K/S were never among my favourites, but that music choice was great. IMO Tchaikovsky's symphonies are underused in skating. They have so many lovely and grandiose parts in a variety of moods that would make an amazing impactful program.

CassAgain

I like them so much, and I hope this disappointment is the kick they need to come out with two great programs next year.

I would love to see Sandra Bezic's soft, floaty, romantic aesthetic on them. Another program I think could be in their wheelhouse is a flirty romantic piece like the Nino Rota program Moore-Towers/Moskovitch had for the 2013-14 season.

I live for Bill and Fleur getting married at the Burrow, interrupted by the Death Eaters attack--GOALS.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It's true Elena and Anton constantly made mistakes but they were packaged to perfection and still won many medals. And when your packaged the right way things still can go your way, it won't just collapse. The right package can give you a boost even on your worst day while the wrong one can sink you completely. Don't give the judges any reason to dump you! T/M have unfortunately done that for multiple seasons

Elena and Anton had multiple meltdowns in their career but in big competitions they skated well ( except Oly 98 and worlds 98). They skated well enough to win in worlds 99, Euro 2000, worlds 2001, Olympics 2002. Unfortunately politics caught up toward the end. They had some great performances and that really helped them establish themselves. It wasn't just the packaging. They had the talent and Elena was very strong mentally when it came to big competitions.

NAOTMAA

I agree! K/S were never among my favourites, but that music choice was great. IMO Tchaikovsky's symphonies are underused in skating. They have so many lovely and grandiose parts in a variety of moods that would make an amazing impactful program.

Poor Tchaikovsky. You would think watching skating all he did was Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker and Swan Lake. And every now and then they remind you he composed the the Romeo and Juliet overture too.

It's a real shame K&S started getting injured so much right when they really gelled as a team and found a style that fit them. Their last few programs were fantastic.

Even with a lot of growing to do T/M are a far better team. If they had the team K&S had we wouldn't be in such dispair right now. It would have been wonderful to see them do some of those late K&S programs like Clare de Lune.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Serves them right for sticking with Candyman and dying with it. Why couldn't they and their team accept that was not their style? This is the podium I wanted, and I'm completely happy that it came out the way I'd hoped. The only other result which would have been tremendous is J/C landing in third, but 5th place is also a bonus for them, as I think their spirits had been dampened over the course of the season being lowballed by the judges.

In Pyeongchang, the judges overscored so many teams in the sp, and obviously those numbers came down for many in the fp, but not far enough for some teams who had rather poor showings. The Canadian teams were all excellent.

T/M desperately need help finding something more worthy of them, and learning how to bring out their connection on the ice. They are just not soulful at all. And when they skate great, there's still something lacking, but they've been so over-rewarded in the marks generally. I'm so glad they were properly dinged this time for another sad fp performance.

What would fans suggest T/M do for next season? They seriously need to ask for ideas, like Cain/LeDuc did.

Your first paragraph does not belong in a cheer thread. Sometimes fans get mad at their favorites but it's because they care. Your post does not indicate that you care. You are here to gloat about your favorite pairs that made the podium last night. There are other threads for that.

I posted this earlier (in another thread)- they lost because they made mistakes last night and not because they skated to Candyman. I hated that LP but the judges were giving them credit whenever they skated it well or close to it. Last night was disastrous for them technically. That is why they lost.

Certainly fans will have recommendations for them for next season, and we will discuss them in a cheer thread, but those are caring fans that can see the positives and the negatives. Your post did not come across that way.

Last edited:

MAXSwagg

Reading this just makes me depressed that Manfred Symphony never made it to the Olympics. What a masterpiece! Poor K&S :( And poor T/M for having to be the ones who repeat what K&S went through in 2010. I was hoping no Russian team would have to go through that again :wuzrobbed

But I totally agree with you. I think the Rachmaninov SP proved that the dramatic classical pieces are their best friend. It really shows them off in the best light. They also seem really comfortable with it and that makes a huge difference in how they come off. They seem to come more alive with the more powerful then the softer

Manfred was a great program, but K/S did not have anywhere near high quality elements, and really never did.

But anyway, even my friend who is a little more than a casual viewer said the LP didn't click with her, and we both wondered why the didn't do Candyman for the SP and Rach for the LP? It seems like that would've been common sense to me.

NAOTMAA

Manfred was a great program, but K/S did not have anywhere near high quality elements, and really never did.

You're completely correct.

Their programs were better then they were. Considering their skill it's amazing they were able to execute as much of what Moskovina wanted as they did. Most couldn't even get that far!

They got as far as they did by hard work and putting themselves in the right hands. They became Russia #1 by chance because they were in the right place at the righ time and the chips fell their way. They'll always have a special place in skating for me, especially Yuko.

Amy L

Anyone who pops their shoulder back into place during a program gets a lot of credit from me. :respec: It was not a very good program (Moskvina does reuse a lot of music, not a lot of it even that great, but no one seems to mind her for that) and I could have been spared that image being fried into my brain forever, but that was a gangsta move on her part. :lol:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Your post does not indicate that you care. You are here to gloat about your favorite pairs that made the podium last night...

That's your perception. I do favor other pairs more than T/M at the moment, because T/M have been consistently overscored when they haven't skated well. And I don't think that's fair. I'm glad it didn't happen for them in the end in Pyeongchang with that dreadful tripe fp. However, I have always said that I'm waiting to see T/M breakout with something much more worthy of their talent and potential. It's just so OTT that T/M consistently receive high scores in areas they need to work on. I do not think that will help them grow and develop into a better team. That's the fault of the sport and the way it's run though.

But it's T/M's and their coaches' fault for not making any effort at all to change out their fp. They stubbornly seemed to think they didn't need to, even with all the loud consensus in fs community that their fp did not work for them. If they had made more of an effort to find something more suitable to their aesthetic, they may have made the Olympic podium and bumped off D/R. So, T/M made their bed and they have to lie in it. Hopefully, this might wake them up for next season. I want to see a team as talented as T/M are, not cruise on their tech precision and SS with lousy programs and costumes. I'd like to see T/M help elevate the sport, and work it on all cylinders with the astounding brilliance that is within their reach. It's a shame and an insult that T/M's coaching team and Russians in general think they are so good they can rest on their snooty 'Russian-aesthetic tradition' laurels.

If you can't stomach honesty in a fan thread, boo-hoo on you. If you want me to take it to Russian thread @caseyedwards, I will.

Elkmaria

I posted this earlier (in another thread)- they lost because they made mistakes last night and not because they skated to Candyman.
Exactly! I'm surprised that people blame Candyman for their failure. Candyman did not prevent them from winning two GPs and the Europeans. But they had three major mistakes at the Olympics, and that's why they didn't medal. The program is not to blame, unless one believes that there is some Polka-Dotted Candyman Curse involved :D
TBH, while Candyman is clearly not a masterpiece, I think that all the rage about it is getting OTT. Sometimes it's hilarious, but it makes me sad that some people are happy that they lost and cheered against them. It is one thing to hate a program and to wish it didn't get high PCS for choreography/composition, interpretation and presentation. But it is a completely different thing to be happy about somebody's mistakes and failure just because you hate the program and the costumes.

Rafter

Even if T/M had a different, better program and had skated like that, they would have dropped off the podium. It was the big mistakes that cost them.

They need to stick to classical. Morozov does not have the personality to pull off that perky stuff.

NAOTMAA

It's true he doesn't have the personality for that music (he did try his best bless his heart) but she does which is why I guess they went for it, hoping she could carry it (which is unfair to both of them). She defiantly does have star quality.

If they both had "it" the program, still an atrocity, would have been far more palatable. But they definately do need to stick to music where they both have "it." It will only make the better

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It's true he doesn't have the personality for that music (he did try his best bless his heart) but she does which is why I guess they went for it, hoping she could carry it (which is unfair to both of them). She defiantly does have star quality.

If they both had "it" the program, still an atrocity, would have been far more palatable. But they definately do need to stick to music where they both have "it." It will only make the better

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Gordeeva had the star quality. Sergei was there to show her beauty. There are other successful pairs/ice dancers where the lady is the main thing and the man is somewhat ignored or is in the background. I would add Savchenko Massot to that list. It is not a rule that it should be so, but both styles have worked (both skaters involved and one as the picture, while the other is a frame). It just takes the right program to make it work, whatever style is being used.

Amy L

Moving this up since the pairs LP just ended. Glad T/M could hang on to a medal. :cheer2: They look physically and mentally worn out, so I hope they have another fabulous beach vacation. Her Instagram made me instajealous last summer, so I hope they are able to enjoy themselves, come back refreshed and their team gets a lot of good and useful advice on how to proceed with their careers. :)

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Congrats to these two!
I didn't love Candyman for them, simply because it doesn't showcase them, but the truth is, it's the elements that get them big scores. If they can't land the jumps, the rest doesn't come. Seems simple to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information