Survivor Edge of Extinction

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Anyone watch? Interesting twist at the end— intrigued to find out what it’s all about but I don’t want another Lil situation where someone out of the game for a while comes back and nearly wins.

No opinion of anyone yet really. I thought I was going to like Reem but it seems like she doesn’t understand the game even as a fan from day one.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
There was a "special" on recently where a Canadian entertainment reporter (along with others) was on the location of the new series. She interviewed the 4 returnees and a couple of the "newbies". Jeff explained about Extinction Island - he said that as someone is voted out at Tribal they will have the choice of leaving or taking a leap into an unknown way to possibly stay in the game. He said they had no idea how players would react/respond to this option when they set it up - it was a gamble. Once they are taken to this deserted, tiny island - where there is nothing - they will be able to signal that they are "giving up" by raising a small sail on a mast. Everything is set up to look like ship wrecks, including on the island.

The reporter was able to participate in the same challenge that we saw last night, along with a whole group of other folks. It was never explained who all the others were but she had apparently tried Survivor challenges before and this was the first time she was on the winning team (approaching her 40th birthday) :)

smurfy

I watched! Looks good, some people look promising.
So they love the returnees and then will be turning on them.
I like the returning players and it may start things off quicker!
Joe's mustache - I don't like that kind of mustache.
Reem - I would be mad at you if you put my clothes on the sand! They get sandy.
I always think I should wait a couple of weeks and then just watch 3 episodes in a row to get a better feel, but then I always watch it from the beginning. Just not enough seen yet to know.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I always think I should wait a couple of weeks and then just watch 3 episodes in a row to get a better feel, but then I always watch it from the beginning. Just not enough seen yet to know.

We dvr it, and sometimes I rewatch before the next one. I always catch things I missed the first time.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I thought it started next week. Will watch it on demand later tonight.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I watched this evening. It's always hard to keep everybody straight at the beginning, but I know who Reem is :lol:.

The vote was really interesting; I expected a landslide, but not even close--votes all over the place.

So Wentworth is a legend, is she? I can't remember much about her. But she's clearly one of Jeff's favorites, as she is Wentworth while Joe, David and Aubrey are just Joe, David and Aubrey.

Extinction Island looks really, really bleak.

BaileyCatts

Don't know anyones name yet but I like the Duke kid. When they were at the water hole and that one girl started going nutso and he was just like 'aw hell no I ain't gonna stay around for this'. :rofl: And then the look on his face at Tribal had me even more :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think I might like him.

So Extinction Island is just .... here. Sit on this beach with no food, no shelter, no water, no nothing other than what you got in your bag?? Okey dokey. :blah:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
So Wentworth is a legend, is she? I can't remember much about her. But she's clearly one of Jeff's favorites, as she is Wentworth while Joe, David and Aubrey are just Joe, David and Aubrey.

I barely remembered Kelly Wentworth. And then when I saw her, all I could remember is that she annoyed me. :lol: I think calling her a legend is a stretch, but Jeff clearly seems to think so.

Dalton Ross from EW had a really interesting piece this week about the logistics of the marooning: https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/20/survivor-edge-of-extinction-marooning/
It's quite long but I found it fascinating.

love skating

Clueless American
All I remember about Wentworth is that I couldn't remember who she was when she played for the second time and that time there was Kelly Wiglesworth too which made things very confusing. And maybe that's why Jeff calls her Wentworth cause that year he had to use their last names?

tony

All I remember about Wentworth is that I couldn't remember who she was when she played for the second time and that time there was Kelly Wiglesworth too which made things very confusing. And maybe that's why Jeff calls her Wentworth cause that year he had to use their last names?

I didn’t remember much of her from when she got voted on to her second season (it was the fan vote for all returning players). I think people commented, maybe even here, that her social media presence was strong and probably aided in that.

Josh78

I always say I'm never going to watch, but I always end up doing it, and I would much rather watch Survivor than BB anymore -- That the four returnees are who they are is, well, meh, frankly -- seems like Kelly, David, and Aubrey's best talents are getting into tribal council arguments and/or thinking they are making a big move and then having it blow up -- and the only reason they keep inviting Joe back is because they desperately want him to win so the fandom that find him so popular (for good reason though, he's not a bad guy) will be happy and keep wanting more -- and Extinction Island is the way it is to make people nuts so the re-entry to the tribe will be extra dramatic...

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Keith's challenge struggles were less annoying than Keith in the last 2 minutes. Just go home already. Wentworth is an annoying player as well. It's always so stupid when these people have the idea "let's get out a returning player early" and then keep letting the opportunity pass. Not a fan of the blue team in general, although I like Wendy and David.

smurfy

Love Wendy

I really appreciate how she is quickly adapting and being aware of what happened with Reem.
Keith - seemed good at first - and his comment as he left about winning challenges.

LOL at Aubrey talking about needing a first tribal and Survivor Kumbaya.

tony

Keith is immature and came up with the weakest argument ever when he was taken off guard and ultimately voted out. He could’ve thrown someone else under the bus if he wanted to say anything at all, but he bafflingly chose to say they weren’t going to win challenges without him.

I still don’t have any favorites yet, but I suspect the happy and winning tribe is going to fall apart real soon and we are being prepared for that explosion.

If there’s one thing I don’t like about Survivor, I never really care for the tribe swaps early in the game or at all. I know it sucks if it’s apparent that the teams are lopsided or if one of my favorites is clearly on the bottom of their losing tribe, but I’d rather just keep them in tact until the merge.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
I've watched both episodes so far, but I just don't have any sort of vested interest in the seasons when they bring back a few returning players and dump them with a group of newbies. I find it really unfair to the new players, not only from a gameplay standpoint, but also the viewers don't get to know them as much and there is much less of a chance to see story arcs involving them when the returnees hog up a majority of the airtime. I imagine if I get more than a week behind at any point this season, it'll probably just sit on my DVR unwatched until I need to clear space for something else to record.

Wentworth is one of my least favorite returning players ever. It was nice that they considered getting rid of her, but obviously everybody chickened out.

BaileyCatts

Keith thinks they won't win challenges without him? Did I hear that right?? :rofl: He will never survive that Extinction Island thing so he best just choose to exit the game. I liked him that first episode, but wow .... delusional.

Tinami Amori

Reem.. glad she is gone. can't imagine what i would do to her if she tried to help me with my clothes without asking. "I guess they don't want a mother on this island"... neooo, nobody does, anywhere.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I've watched both episodes so far, but I just don't have any sort of vested interest in the seasons when they bring back a few returning players and dump them with a group of newbies. I find it really unfair to the new players, not only from a gameplay standpoint, but also the viewers don't get to know them as much and there is much less of a chance to see story arcs involving them when the returnees hog up a majority of the airtime.

Dalton Ross made the same argument in his column this week.

Reem.. glad she is gone.

But she isn't.

BaileyCatts

How is that Island thing going to work anyway. Are they going to just collect everyone there who chooses to stay, and let them sit and wonder what the hell is going on, and then once the Teams merge into one, bring back everyone who is left for a challenge to win a spot or something? They really don't give them any food at all? Not even a bag of rice like the Teams get? I assume they at least have to give them water?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
They really don't give them any food at all? Not even a bag of rice like the Teams get? I assume they at least have to give them water?

From what I saw, she has a machete, a flint and a water flask, so she has fire, water and whatever she can scavenge.

They filmed this one during the calm season, so at least there shouldn't be a lot of bad storms like last season.

emason

I had DVRd this and the recording stopped just before the end of the previews of the next episode. I saw a boat coming in the dead of night dark, so I assume either Keith picked up his torch and is continuing on and Reem is getting company or that Reem is being picked up for the next phase of her challenge. I’m guessing we will see something in the next episode. I’m wondering when the players who walk past the Outwit, Outplay, Outlast banner on the beach all the time are going to start wondering why the season is called Edge of Extinction (or whatever it’s called). Surely someone must be wondering what the tagline means.

Tinami Amori

From what I saw, she has a machete, a flint and a water flask, so she has fire, water and whatever she can scavenge.
They filmed this one during the calm season, so at least there shouldn't be a lot of bad storms like last season.
If she knows what to look for, there are some fruit trees and berries on those small uninhabited islands in Fiji, not the same range selection as on the developed ones, but there will be at least few fruit trees. The show management probably made sure there are some. If she drinks all her water from the flask, it is no big deal, it can be collected from the leaves overnight, if she finds a large leaf and makes a "cone" it will just drip there.

I guess she can catch crabs on the sand/rocks. it would be hard to fish with just a machete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information