STYTCD 2019

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Anyone watching? IMO, D-Trix has the making of a really good judge. Lauriann Gibson less so. She seemed at bit “all about me”, which combined with Mary may make the panel more insufferable..if that was even possible. I really like the new stage and lighting, but hate that the producers are still pushing the sob stories.

Of those shown who got through, I really enjoyed Matthew Deloach. It’s rare to see someone who can spin AND fly. Sarah Macreanor was fun, but I don’t think her technique will hold up unless that was just a ploy to hide the goods. Gino, the Dance Moms kid, was really good but a bit over emotive.

love skating

Clueless American
I wasn't too happy to hear that D-Trix was a judge this year but I surprisingly enjoyed his judging last night as well. I really liked the first hip hop girl, hope she is able to do other styles. Am still annoyed that they keep cutting away from dancing to show audience and judges reactions - almost all the shows do this now and it bugs me so... I want to see the dancing!! Anyway, glad the show is back and look forward to the rest of the season.

chantilly

I was fine with the new judges. At least they have credible dance knowledge.

Laurie Ann I agree is a bit about herself but she has the goods to back it up.

Dominic is fine. Mary is annoying as usual and I for some reason can tolerate Nigel in the early rounds.

I really loved the hip hop girl. But was a bit underwhelmed by the ballroom couple and I actually think he was better in some ways.

I liked the dance Mom’s guy a lot. The torn meniscus guy was good, but for some reason he was lacking something for me. I think there was little flow or connection between his tricks.

The Australian comedy jazz girl was interesting but I don’t see enough skill there for her to make it all the way.

Aceon6

I enjoyed last night’s show. Fewer sob stories and some genuinely good dancing. The highlight for me was Sumi Oshima with her incredible control. I wonder if her Japanese dance school background means she’s trained in many styles. If so, she’s a potential Top 20. I also enjoyed Gianna Newborg. Her technique is 1000 times that of Sarah Macrenor’s. Stefen Yeritsyan is HAWT! Kaeli and Brandon, the contemporary ballet duo, were quite good. His center is off the chain and I think he outdanced her by quite a bit. That said, any 5’11” gal who can manage pointe gets props in my book. Talk about high center of gravity!

Last edited:

Aceon6

I was really disappointed with last night’s show. Full on sob stories and only a few real dancers in the bunch. Nobody screams top 10 to me. The highlights were the salsa siblings who were quite good and the breakers who were entertaining. They only showed snippets of the returning contestants, so I have no idea if they’re better or worse this time around. Yawn.

Aceon6

Does anyone have an idea of why they kept Sophie? Other than Nigel’s affinity for cute blonds?

chantilly

Does anyone have an idea of why they kept Sophie? Other than Nigel’s affinity for cute blonds?
I thought she deserved to stay over the blonde hip hop girl and the bald girl ( can’t remember either of their names). We didn’t see much of her, i.e Sophie in the early rounds, but I remember they really liked her. For me, other then the first girl and Nazz( who was TOTALLY robbed of a spot) she was third in the night

Last edited:

Aceon6

Yup. I would have picked Nazz so we’d have 2 contemporary, 2 ballroom and 1 hip hop. (No jazz dancers in top 10). It’s so sad that Sumi didn’t perform to Nigel’s expectations.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I would have loved to see Sumi and Nazz stay. Nazz absolutely should have gotten the spot over the tiny blonde who’s name I can’t remember. I’m 50/50 on the blonde hip-hop girl and the bald girl (I’ll be able to remember their names in a couple of weeks I swear). I enjoyed them well enough but I really didn’t think the bald girl deserved to stay over Nazz. But this is reality competition TV and the bald girl has a better story and that kind of stuff gets views. Don’t get me wrong she’s a decent dancer, but I absolutely think they were also thinking of the storyline they can do for it.

Aceon6

Mariah... contemporary dancer with the Minnie Mouse voice.
Stephanie... ballroom dancer whose brother is in the top 10 guys
Madison... contemporary dancer with alopecia
Anna... blonde, hip hop dancer
Sophie... contemporary dancer, blonde, apparently no backstory

love skating

Clueless American
I was surprised they kept Sophie too. And wasn't too keen on Anna either. Guess Mariah is my favorite girl for now.

Aceon6

Reopening this thread. Danny Tidwell, Travis Wall’s brother, has died at age 35

jenny12

Reopening this thread. Danny Tidwell, Travis Wall’s brother, has died at age 35

Absolutely heartbreaking! I haven't watched SYTYCD in a while, but I did for the first couple seasons and Danny was by far my favorite. What an astoundingly gorgeous dancer. RIP Danny. What a devastating loss to his family, his friends, his fans, and the world of dance.

annie720

OMG! So sad. Danny was a huge talent and impressed me more than any contestant on the show ever. RIP beautiful man.

chantilly

Horrible news.
Terrible way to go; a car accident.
He had it all. Technique, performance, versatility and he was so compelling to watch.
His samba with Lacey to Hip hip chin chin( a V and M favourite of mine) is one of my all time SYTYCD faves.

What a loss for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information