Stolbova and Klimov Fan Thread #2: Please Don't Stop the Reign

Amantide

If you are talking about not feeling they are that well-matched personality-wise, that's a whole different can of beans. ;)

I love what they have, or "don't have", depending how one sees it. It's one of the things which makes them different and unique, at least to me. I love different Pairs for different reasons. I love S&K first of all for their outstanding SS and for their dynamic when they perform. I love the fact that they are not "cosy" or "romantic", if that makes sense?

Not that there is anything wrong with it, mind you. My most favorite Pairs have always been the classic Russian Pairs who oozed quality, class, elegance and "romance", for lack of better word. But these two are different. Tons of class and quality, but also more sharpness and attack in their perfomance.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I think S/K have made their differences and their mismatched personalities work for them. That's possible to do if you make a commitment and strive to find the right music and choreo to enhance but not hide who you are as a team. S/K did that beautifully with their I Put A Spell on You performance. Afterward, everyone wanted to skate to that song!

I did not take to them when I first saw them. They both seemed a bit out of shape and I just didn't think they stood out very well. Then they blew onto the scene during Sochi Olympic season with a complete makeover. I didn't recognize them as the same team. Ksenia had worked out and she was svelte and fit, as was Fedor. They had boffo programs, music and costumes and they absolutely blazed through the season, particularly in the lead-up to the Olympics. They staked a claim for top recognition and grabbed an Olympic silver medal.

Later, S/K had some setbacks and ups-and-downs. But they definitely ended up putting a spell on me. :) They have more spark, sass and fire on the ice than many Russian teams. My other fave Russian pairs are Max/Tat, and Ashtakova/ Rogonov. I also enjoyed watching Kavaguti/Smirnov. And the pair that didn't make it: Bazarova/Deputat (as I'd liked Deputat from his magical junior partnership with Davankova who grew too tall for him).

Amantide

^^ I think S/K have made their differences and their mismatched personalities work for them. That's possible to do if you make a commitment and strive to find the right music and choreo to enhance but not hide who you are as a team. S/K did that beautifully with their I Put A Spell on You performance. Afterward, everyone wanted to skate to that song!

I couldn't have said any better.

My other fave Russian pairs are Max/Tat, and Ashtakova/ Rogonov. I also enjoyed watching Kavaguti/Smirnov. And the pair that didn't make it: Bazarova/Deputat (as I'd liked Deputat from his magical junior partnership with Davankova who grew too tall for him).

Same. ;):)
I would've loved to see Bazarova&Deputat more tbh. And I am very sad the A&R split.
They were my 2nd favorite Russian Pair, after S&K. Le sigh again. :fragile:

Mad for Skating

I'm sad and kinda pissed to not see them in the GP. :(:angryfire And the Unknown is killing me. :confused:

I still continue to watch their performance from "The Unknown Known" in Barcelona. What a program and what a performance. That was the year they should've grabbed that world title. Le sigh! :(

I agree! The Grand Prix roster is so empty this year...they could win so easily...and I'm going crazy from waiting for answers on their split rumors.

But you're right, we always have the 2015 GPF performance to watch if we're feeling down!

Mad for Skating

I really have to disagree with you. Savchenko/Szolkowy are 5-time World champions and 2-time Olympic medalists, so they were at the very top for years! Not to mention the important influence and impact they've had on the pairs discipline! Also, Ksenia/Fedor had their sterling run of success, earning an unexpected Olympic silver medal, a World silver medal, 3 Euro silvers and 1 bronze, along with a string of gold, silver, and bronze on the GP/GPF and senior Bs. Believe it or not, that kind of medal-winning record connotes a 'top' contending team.

Every team has weaknesses and ups-and-downs to overcome. Stolbova/Klimov are no exception. At their best, they've been great and fun to watch. Injuries can really hamper careers. If you are talking about not feeling they are that well-matched personality-wise, that's a whole different can of beans. ;)

Oopsie, that came out all wrong! Not what I was trying to say! Both Savchenko/Szolkowy and Stolbova/Klimov are absolutely stellar pairs and have achieved a lot of success. I was simply referring to the fact that when Savchenko split up with Szolkowy, everyone thought she was crazy, but she ended up winning the Olympic gold, so if Ksenia is going to take that approach, I'm down for it.

Guess that's why I shouldn't post on this forum when I haven't had much sleep LOL

Mad for Skating

I love what they have, or "don't have", depending how one sees it. It's one of the things which makes them different and unique, at least to me. I love different Pairs for different reasons. I love S&K first of all for their outstanding SS and for their dynamic when they perform. I love the fact that they are not "cosy" or "romantic", if that makes sense?

Not that there is anything wrong with it, mind you. My most favorite Pairs have always been the classic Russian Pairs who oozed quality, class, elegance and "romance", for lack of better word. But these two are different. Tons of class and quality, but also more sharpness and attack in their perfomance.

I can't agree with you more, Amantide! They just have a magnetic chemistry that draws your eye to them, and I personally prefer that to lovey-dovey romantic pairs (although Gordeeva/Grinkov will always own a special place in my heart). They really can do any genre of program (modern dance, comical, classical). And I don't think they hate each other the way the media likes to imply (they actually seem to have a really nice, amiable working relationship).

Mad for Skating

I did not take to them when I first saw them. They both seemed a bit out of shape and I just didn't think they stood out very well. Then they blew onto the scene during Sochi Olympic season with a complete makeover. I didn't recognize them as the same team. Ksenia had worked out and she was svelte and fit, as was Fedor. They had boffo programs, music and costumes and they absolutely blazed through the season, particularly in the lead-up to the Olympics. They staked a claim for top recognition and grabbed an Olympic silver medal.

Later, S/K had some setbacks and ups-and-downs. But they definitely ended up putting a spell on me. :) They have more spark, sass and fire on the ice than many Russian teams. My other fave Russian pairs are Max/Tat, and Ashtakova/ Rogonov. I also enjoyed watching Kavaguti/Smirnov. And the pair that didn't make it: Bazarova/Deputat (as I'd liked Deputat from his magical junior partnership with Davankova who grew too tall for him).

I have lost count of how many times I've watched their I put a spell on you SP. I was 12 the first time I saw it, and it was the first sexy skating program that didn't make me gag haha. The whole package was so chic (her new haircut, his vest, and omg that dress!).

I would take a bullet for them, but I'll admit they had some pretty bad packaging in their younger days. I think they started getting some good programs in the 2012-13 season (Interview with the Vampire SP and our beloved Addams Family FS). A low bow to Mozer for turning them into a top contender in that lead-up to Sochi. They're really one-of-a-kind, and even if this is the end of the road for them as a pair, I'll always remember them as one of the first pairs who really made me fall in love with this sport.

Emerald66

I honestly hope that there's no truth to these rumors. I've followed ksenia and fedor since 2010 when they were still junior's. I knew they'd be special. Just after the 2014 Olympics things happened with injuries and bad decisions were made and I think Mozer is to blame for most of it. I wish they had switched coaches years ago. (Although I respect that she got them in tip top shape just in time for the Olympics.)

Mad for Skating

I honestly hope that there's no truth to these rumors. I've followed ksenia and fedor since 2010 when they were still junior's. I knew they'd be special. Just after the 2014 Olympics things happened with injuries and bad decisions were made and I think Mozer is to blame for most of it. I wish they had switched coaches years ago. (Although I respect that she got them in tip top shape just in time for the Olympics.)

Mozer does good work, but I still wish Ksenia and Fedor had gone to Moskvina sometimes, I think that would've been epic.

She's currently training with Novoselov from France (via Russia).

I've seen the training clips...I'm not opposed to it, Aliona made the whole "get a French partner and whip him into shape" thing work, but part of me still hopes that Ksenia and Fedor will get back together like Grishuk and Platov...

hanca

Values her privacy
I don’t think it is limely that Stolbova will be released to skate for France. And Novoselov will be released only after a long while and only if Stolbova pays a lot of money to French federation. I wonder what their plan is, unless it is just for shows?

Mad for Skating

I don’t think it is limely that Stolbova will be released to skate for France. And Novoselov will be released only after a long while and only if Stolbova pays a lot of money to French federation. I wonder what their plan is, unless it is just for shows?

I heard there is rumor of a swap: Abachkina and Drozd were supposedly going to try out together. So France would release Novoselov and Russia would release Drozd (I think).

Edit: I royally misspelled Abachkina's name earlier, it is corrected now.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I heard there is rumor of a swap: Lobachkina and Drozd were supposedly going to try out together. So France would release Novoselov and Russia would release Drozd (I think).
That was only fans speculating though, wasn’t it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information