Sochi 2014 Women

bardtoob

I've brought it up before, but I truly still wonder if Lipnitskaya had drawn to skate after Sotnikova in the short whether we would've seen such high PCS for Adelina there. We all know Julia was the chosen one for that Olympics until her 3F fall.

When watching the whole broadcast, it felt like there was a clear design in the skate order.

bardtoob

I think I had more of a problem with that version of Rondo Capriccioso... And then someone else surpassed it several years later...
Both of her orchestrations for Carmen in the SP and Rondo Capriccioso in the LP were abnormally fast tempos, which gives the artificial feeling of "speed" when it is really just "working hard to keep up in a rush". However, you can't fake effortlessness.

On My Own

Both of her orchestrations for Carmen in the SP and Rondo Capriccioso in the LP were abnormally fast tempos, which gives the artificial feeling of "speed" when it is really just "working hard to keep up in a rush". However, you can't fake effortlessness.
I mean I keep coming back to the steps. But they really are a mess. The free leg is 100% doing that Eteri girl thing where they just flung it around to force a turn... actually Medvedeva might have better skating skills than this, tbh...

Nothing "effortless" about any of this.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Looking back at the results, I'd completely forgotten that Mae Meite was tenth at the Olympics. I also don't remember a single thing about Elizaveta Ukolova's skating.

At the time Sotnikova was my favourite Russian lady of that generation (Sotnikova/Tuktamisheva/Lipnitskaya) although her Olympic LP was my least favourite programme of hers. I was disappointed that her Olympic win effectively ended her career.

And I was so sad for Mao after the SP, and agree with everyone who thought she should have won the LP.

bardtoob

I also don't remember a single thing about Elizaveta Ukolova's skating.

That's unfortunate, which I say as somebody that saw it for the first time this weekend. Elizaveta's short program was rather lovely.

It starts 1 hour 43 minutes into the broadcast.

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

At the time I thought it was unfair how the judging of components seem to change so drastically from the years leading up to Sochi.
Doping aside, PCS scoring was so bizarre in Sochi. The reason Sotnikova was in striking distance is that her short PCS was so inflated; no scores anywhere near that in the past. In the old days you would site block voting. But, how in IJS? I still can`t wrap my head around it.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
But if you look at the panels and the scores, there seemed to be a lot of consensus between east and west.

bardtoob

I really enjoyed the short program of Nathalie Weinzierl of Germany, which is 2 hours and 9 minutes into the full broadcast. It's very well choreographed to "Fever" and the costume is a good match. Also, her jump technique is a joy to watch, including a 3Lz from steps with a solid outside edge that I would presume was going to actually be a 2A from steps until she does one additional step.

Last edited:

On My Own

Also, her jump technique is a joy to watch, including a 3Lz that I would presume were actually steps leading into a 2A until she does one additional step.
Oh I see how you got that haha.

I think we've seen some "lower level" skaters put up admirable skating at the Olympics these last three times. Giada Russo from 2018, Josefin Taljegard and Jenni Saarinen from 2022 (all short programs). I actually thought Russo's step sequence was the best that night lol...

Marco

Kostner, Sotnikova, Kim.

Between the 3 of them, Kostner deserved the highest PCS, and Sotnikova deserved the highest GOEs (flip combo aside). Both Kostner and Kim had some tight jumps and mediocre spins compared to Sotnikova. Kim's second lutz in the free was questionable and she was nowhere near as inspiring as 2010. For me Asada was wonderful in the free but it was too little too late, plus some of the jumps were still suspicious. She and Gold could be 4th and 5th in some order, and then Wagner 6th above Lipnitskaya who were held up in both segments of the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information