Skating Community Mourns the Passing of David Dore

ballettmaus

75 isn't awfully old. :( Does anyone know if he was sick?

My condolences to his family!

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
75 isn't awfully old. :( Does anyone know if he was sick?

My condolences to his family!

He had been battling cancer for some time but was continuing to work from his home in Ottawa, at least the last I knew. I had a lengthy conversation with him while waiting for our plane to Chicago en route to Skate America in October 2014. He said he had already outlived his doctor's expectations at that time but the doctor had allowed him out of hospital to make a very short trip to the event to support the skaters (not to represent the ISU).

I was thinking about him while attending Worlds, thinking that I had heard nothing about him recently.

May he rest in peace.

DE93

He had been battling cancer for some time but was continuing to work from his home in Ottawa, at least the last I knew. I had a lengthy conversation with him while waiting for our plane to Chicago en route to Skate America in October 2014. He said he had already outlived his doctor's expectations at that time but the doctor had allowed him out of hospital to make a very short trip to the event to support the skaters (not to represent the ISU).

I was thinking about him while attending Worlds, thinking that I had heard nothing about him recently.

May he rest in peace.

I spoke to his daughter at EOS Sectionals in November of 2014 and she was under the impression that he was going to pass in the next few weeks, so he definitely outlived their expectations. She had wanted me to take a photo of him and his grandson, who is a Juvenile level skater. My sincere condolences to his whole family. A truly lovely group of people.

greenapple

He had prostrate cancer. He was loved by so many - and disliked by those who had little or no vision - but no one can deny the impact he had on the development of skating not only in Canada but around the world. We would not have the Grand Prix Series if were not for him. He was indeed a champion of the sport in so many ways. The last time I saw him was at 2015 World Synchros - I think he presented the medals?

Sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited:

Rae35

David Dore was visionary and reinvented Canadian skating (in my opinion) from the late 1980s. Tough but fair. Holding skaters and coaches to a high standard and accountable. I have nothing but good words or thoughts about David. He paved the way for Canada, which many admired and tried to follow suit. Me being one of those many.

greenapple

This is a very unfair characterization of those who disagreed with aspects of his leadership style. The disagreements weren't just about "vision". But he was certainly very capable of getting things done.

Oh please. There is nothing "unfair" about the characterization of those who did not/could not achieve what he did. He certainly did get things done - yes, he had a way of going about things that often rattled feathers - but he was a leader with a "vision" - which so many others at Skate Canada at that time were not.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Oh please. There is nothing "unfair" about the characterization of those who did not/could not achieve what he did.

There certainly is. Your description implies that they were jealous because he was able to do things they couldn't. That is not an accurate or fair characterization.

Some disagreed with his vision. Others supported his vision but disagreed with the methods he used to achieve his desired outcomes. He will be remembered as someone who changed how competitive skating operates in Canada - and also to some extent in the world because of his position within the ISU - but his vision and his changes were not universally supported.

OrioleBeagle

AARROOOO!!!
David Dore was visionary and reinvented Canadian skating (in my opinion) from the late 1980s. Tough but fair. Holding skaters and coaches to a high standard and accountable. I have nothing but good words or thoughts about David. He paved the way for Canada, which many admired and tried to follow suit. Me being one of those many.

What type of authority did he have over the coaches and skaters? (Especially the coaches)

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I spoke to his daughter at EOS Sectionals in November of 2014 and she was under the impression that he was going to pass in the next few weeks, so he definitely outlived their expectations. She had wanted me to take a photo of him and his grandson, who is a Juvenile level skater. My sincere condolences to his whole family. A truly lovely group of people.

That would have been his daughter-in-law. He had two sons, one of whom (Paul) works with PJ Kwong on the Open Kwong Dore podcasts.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Oh my goodness! Peace to him and his family and friends.

Anemone

My earliest memories of watching Canadian skating on tv include the commentators conversations with/comments by David Dore.
Condolences to his family & friends.

Sylvia

TBD
"On behalf of the Hungarian National Skating Federation (HNSF) we would like to express our deepest sympathy for the skating World and the family of David Dore who passed away last night."
http://syswc2016budapest.hu/en/former-isu-vice-president-daniel-dore-passed-away/

Thank you to David Dore for his many years of service to the sport and Skate Canada and condolences to his family and friends.

ETA:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/canadian-figure-skating-pioneer-david-dore-dies-75-233201567--spt.html

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
David Dore expanded the arena of Canadian figure skating
Dore, who died April 8 at age 75, was a mentor to generations of young athletes and a business “visionary” who raised the profile of the sport at home and abroad.
By Wayne Larsen Special to the Star, Published on Sun Apr 24 2016
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...ded-the-arena-of-canadian-figure-skating.html

ETA:
In recent weeks, Skate Canada launched the David Dore Mentorship Fund, to honour his vision and lifelong love of figure skating. In his own words, Paul Dore, David Dore’s son, pays an emotional tribute to his father:
https://skatecanada.ca/2016/04/remembering-david-dore/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information