Skater Retirements 2020

barbarafan

Oh man!!! And I am officially and totally bummed.
I know....I guess there were not any partners that could skate for Canada that she could skate with. I am so sad. I was hoping she would skate with Mark Bardai but it seems like that was not an option. I believe the cost of his skating would have to be paid etc. or maybe there is no way for him to get citizenship in time for Olympics. Or maybe they don't like each other...who knows. That was her big dream to go to the Olympics but I guess she has given it up. She had coached for a while in Russia before Dylan approached her to team up...(and she was attending university at the same time) She will be a fabulous coach but still.....

MsZem

I see the sea
What a career - getting to her first Olympics after a decade at the senior level (second-generation Olympian, too), and then the successful switch to pairs in her late twenties. That's real commitment and love for the sport. I just wish she'd gotten a GP or Euros medal, that would have been nice :)

Wishing Vale all the best, whatever she decides to do next.

PeterG

RESPECT to the "old" man! (he will be 33 next month)

Six world championships, one reaching the top ten.

Seven trips to Euros, one silver medal, one bronze and one almost-bronze in his first Euros appearance, placing fourth.

Three tips to the GPF, with one bronze medal.

Twenty three appearances at Grand Prix events, multiple medals won including gold, silver and bronze.

A silver and bronze medal at Junior Worlds.

14 consecutive appearances at Russian Nationals, would have been 16 consecutive except for his withdrawal at his second-to-last Russians. Considering some see Russians as perhaps a mini-Worlds, impressive that he won two gold medals, three silver and two bronze.

Cheers, mate! :40beers:

Sylvia

TBD
Elena Radionova officially announced her retirement today on her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFb7SsEDBGQ/

From the current "From Russia with love" thread:
Not surprising, but Elena Radionova officially announced her retirement. Here’s a long interview with her (in Rus)
Anyone can go ahead and start a new thread with a translation or summary of her interview.

THANK YOU @Ka3sha for doing it :): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ounces-her-retirement-“i-gave-it-all”.107603/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting Nick Zaccardi's article on Polina Edmunds, post-retirement, here too:

And even though all but one (Edmunds) of these skaters retired before 2020 - from the October 2020 issue of IFS - BEYOND THE BOARDS: WHAT COMES NEXT? By Brooklee Han (published online on Nov. 2, 2020) - Ashley Wagner, Dylan Moscovitch, Danielle O'Brien, Greg Merriman, Polina Edmunds, Jeremy Abbott, Jenna McCorkell:
How Brooklee Han ended her article (eta that she tweeted yesterday that she interviewed all of these skaters virtually back in July):
... That being said, my retirement has not been all sunshine and roses.
Like my former teammates O’Brien and Merriman, I find it challenging to truly connect with people outside of skating and I, too, have grappled with feeling left behind by my former classmates, who are now well established in their professional and adult lives. Like Edmunds, I often wonder if I will ever find something I love as much as I loved skating. And like Abbott, I am uncertain of who I am if I am not a skater.
If I learned anything from my conversations with these athletes it is that who you surround yourself with during any major life transition can make a huge difference. And, it makes no difference whether someone was a World or Olympic champion or came 20th at a World Championships. Every athlete experiences a loss of direction when they retire and that experience is different for everyone.
The best advice from all of us is not to hesitate to reach out for support. As we have all learned, there is a good chance that a fellow athlete has gone through the exact same thing and will be more than willing to help guide you through the maze of life beyond the boards.
2 Sergei Voronov interviews post-retirement: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...was-happy-to-skate-till-the-age-of-32.107579/

Last edited:

mkokos82

I don't know if this was posted earlier, but Plutowska / Flemin have called it a career according to this post from Polish Figure Skating Association

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Sean tweeted a link to this Instagram post which he ends this way: "My fans, YOU are the reason I skate, the reason I still love what I do! I might not be competing any longer, but I’ll be skating for you all every opportunity I can! ❤️"

Interview Sean Rabbitt did in September 2020 in which he recalls some of his most memorable skating highlights (starting here):
He cites his 2019 Nationals short program (watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxp15HyFeMA ) as well as his bronze in his first international for Team USA at 2015 Autumn Classic International.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information