Skate Canada has updated teams for Worlds & Junior Worlds - still some TBD

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

Skate Canada announced today that Nam Nguyen, Alicia Pineault, Evelyn Walsh, Trennt Michaud, Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sørensen have been added to the world championships team.

One spot of the ladies team for Worlds and for Junior Worlds remains TBD -
The TBD entries for both the senior and junior women will be named on February 23, 2020.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Is Emily Bausback still missing a min score?
Yes - she is competing at the Challenge Cup in one last attempt to attain it for the SP before Worlds. She had it until the minimums were raised on January 8th :(

puglover

I am feeling sad for S/F. That sounds like they are out and SC is willing to choose a barely recovered team after surgery over them. They remind me a bit of Paul/Islam who burst on to world scene with a lot of success and were noticed immediately. As they matured something seemed to go wrong. Poor material, tougher competition - maybe a bit of all of it - which seemed to translate into loss of confidence and mistakes. I know P/I did switch coaches to Montreal but nothing really made the difference. I hope the same doesn't happen to S/F.

Skate Talker

Skate Canada is also sending Madeline to the Challenge Cup for the Senior Ladies event. If she obtains the minimums and Emily does not, it looks like she will be offered the spot. If both manage it then I'm sure Skate Canada will be wanting Madeline as the substitute

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I am feeling sad for S/F. That sounds like they are out and SC is willing to choose a barely recovered team after surgery over them. They remind me a bit of Paul/Islam who burst on to world scene with a lot of success and were noticed immediately. As they matured something seemed to go wrong. Poor material, tougher competition - maybe a bit of all of it - which seemed to translate into loss of confidence and mistakes. I know P/I did switch coaches to Montreal but nothing really made the difference. I hope the same doesn't happen to S/F.

It was always a given that F-B/S would get the nod if they were well enough, after how they did this season. So I'm sorry too, but not surprised. That said, S/F really need to get it together for next season and think about how to take control of their own destiny. After 4CC they said they were doing some reassessing, and I was really glad to hear it, because up until now they've kept trying to put a positive spin on things, and it wasn't helping. I hope they reassess like crazy, and do whatever they need to do to stop this backward slide and start climbing again.

VGThuy

I forgot that P/I went to Montreal before they retired. Their time there sort of reminds me of what’s going on with Hawayek/Baker now.

Seerek

Laurence/Nik look like they're slotted around 8th, so that and a Piper/Paul 5th would do it.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Laurence/Nik look like they're slotted around 8th, so that and a Piper/Paul 5th would do it.

French, 3 Russians, 3 Americans, Italians, Brits-- If G/P do finish 5th, they'd really be in a battle with Zagorski/Guerriero, Hawayek/Baker, and Fear/Gibson most likely. I know their GP results were great, but if they aren't 100%, it could be tough especially with the latter two teams. H/B have been sloppy this season, but their scoring potential is still incredibly high.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
G/P's season's best is much higher than any of those teams. The closest of the three are F/G, who are nearly 15 points behind them.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
French, 3 Russians, 3 Americans, Italians, Brits-- If G/P do finish 5th, they'd really be in a battle with Zagorski/Guerriero, Hawayek/Baker, and Fear/Gibson most likely. I know their GP results were great, but if they aren't 100%, it could be tough especially with the latter two teams. H/B have been sloppy this season, but their scoring potential is still incredibly high.

The Danadians were very close to H&B at worlds last year (and beat them in the FD). With the way their season is going, as long as they are recovered, I think Laurence and Nik will come out on top.

heartyxo

If FB/S had done the full season as well as they did the GP I’d have them as locks for 8th (I think the top 7 are pretty obvious) but it’s unknown if they’re at full strength. If they are they can definitely get it and keep 3 spots as long as Piper and Paul make top 5.

Dobre

Soucisse & Firus were never in contention with Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen. S&F were in a fight with Lajoie & Lagha. Those two teams had comparable scores throughout the regular season, and neither went clean at Nationals. It might have been done. But you can't fall at Nationals and in 3 other events during the season & expect to make a World team. That much isn't even remotely political. Soucisse & Firus's season felt a lot like Muller & Dieck's did last year. With M&D, it seemed like part coaching change & part pushing super hard to get the deeper edges & not having the control yet to hold them. With Soucisse & Firus, it seems like the errors were more random? Maybe just not having the experience under pressure with close competition. Anyway I hope they are able to start fresh and develop the solidity that generates confidence.

they'd really be in a battle with Zagorski/Guerriero, Hawayek/Baker, and Fear/Gibson most likely.

After 4CCs, I think we have to factor in Wang & Liu also. W&L now have a higher SB than all three of those teams and defeated Hawayek & Baker in both portions of the event, not just the RD in which H&B fell.

Last edited:

puglover

Soucisse & Firus were never in contention with Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen. S&F were in a fight with Lajoie & Lagha. Those two teams had comparable scores throughout the regular season, and neither went clean at Nationals. It might have been done. But you can't fall at Nationals and in 3 other events during the season & expect to make a World team. That much isn't even remotely political. Soucisse & Firus's season felt a lot like Muller & Dieck's did last year. With M&D, it seemed like part coaching change & part pushing super hard to get the deeper edges & not having the control yet to hold them. With Soucisse & Firus, it seems like the errors were more random? Maybe just not having the experience under pressure with close competition. Anyway I hope they are able to start fresh and develop the solidity that develops confidence.

After 4CCs, I think we have to factor in Wang & Liu also. W&L now have a higher SB than all three of those teams and defeated Hawayek & Baker in both portions of the event, not just the RD in which H&B fell.
I do agree with you that the third spot was between L/L and S/F. With SB/S being out with injury and with all of the reassurances they gave that they were not rushing it and taking the rehab slowly, I would assume that provided a glimmer of hope for S/F. Nothing to do now but look forward.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I forgot that P/I went to Montreal before they retired. Their time there sort of reminds me of what’s going on with Hawayek/Baker now.

Completely different teams, completely different circumstances, as it is for Soucisse/Firus.

Katta

Skate Canada is also sending Madeline to the Challenge Cup for the Senior Ladies event. If she obtains the minimums and Emily does not, it looks like she will be offered the spot. If both manage it then I'm sure Skate Canada will be wanting Madeline as the substitute

I'm thrilled that SC is sending Emily and Madeline to more international comps to get minimums and (let's not forget) experience international judges and pressures, but i can't help but feel a bit sad for Allison Shumacher. I'm pretty sure she has the minimums for both SP and LP and clearly she's not being even being considered by SC...

honey

I'm thrilled that SC is sending Emily and Madeline to more international comps to get minimums and (let's not forget) experience international judges and pressures, but i can't help but feel a bit sad for Allison Shumacher. I'm pretty sure she has the minimums for both SP and LP and clearly she's not being even being considered by SC...

I don’t think it’s clear at all that she isn’t being considered. I think what is clear is that they are giving Emily every opportunity they can to go to worlds. That’s fair considering she won nationals. I think given that she is currently listed for junior worlds, it’s also clear that if she doesn’t get the minimums, she’s going to junior worlds.

What is not clear is the game plan for the second worlds spot if Emily doesn’t get the minimums. They could be sending Madeline to try to get her minimums in an effort to get ahead of the game for next year, or they might just want as many options as possible with minimums for this year. Or they may be comparing Madeline and Alison directly for the second spot should Emily not be able to go, using Challenge Cup as another data point. But none of that is clear at all and I think it’s really premature to assume Alison is out of the running.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Yea if Emily or Madeline get the min score and score over 150 (Alison's score from 4CC), I think the highest finisher will get the nod. If both score under 150, then probably Alison goes. Madeline scored 164 in junior at Bavarian so I think that sort of was like winning round 1.....I don't blame them for looking around after that weak showing by those not named Alicia at 4CC, but lets see how this plays out....for reference, only 3 ladies finished with less than 150 in the top 24 at Worlds 2019.

Last edited:

russell30

I wouldn’t be surprised if gabby is considered for the tbd as well considering her pedigree, she scores well in the sp when she is on, i know her season has not been stellar but she has the experience...but yes if Emily gets her minimums then she will be sent considering she is the national champ...

Colonel Green

I wouldn’t be surprised if gabby is considered for the tbd as well considering her pedigree, she scores well in the sp when she is on, i know her season has not been stellar but she has the experience...but yes if Emily gets her minimums then she will be sent considering she is the national champ...
While we obviously don't have knowledge of Skate Canada's internal deliberations, none of the public discussions and statements from the fed regarding this spot have mentioned Gabrielle at all.

Stephanie

I don't think Madeline going to Challenge Cup necessarily means she'll be chosen over Alison if Emily fails to get the minimums. SC may just want to have a backup option in case Emily doesn't get the minimums and then Alison gets injured last minute, or something similar.

Erin

Banned Member
Yeah, based on a couple of examples last year, I think that SC is just sending them both in an attempt to shore up the alternate list, not necessarily meaning Schumacher is out of contention. In 2019, Larkyn Austman was sent to Challenge Cup when I don't think she would have been chosen over Daleman or Cotop even if she had achieved them, and Conrad Orzel was also sent to Bavarian Open for minimums and was not selected even though he did achieve them.

Now that said, given a couple of really bad results, I personally would only send Schumacher if neither Bausback nor Schizas reaches the minimums. But I'm not making the decision, so...

ChiquitaBanana

No... just no!

concorde

What happened to Reagan Scott? She got the Bronze as a junior last year - very pretty skater. I cannot find anything about her this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information