Skate Canada 2022 Olympics selection criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

skategal

Bunny mama
From: https://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/a...ot-olympic-team-despite-withdrawal-nationals/

"Unfortunately, with all sports, in an Olympic year when you have a national championship, a lot of people assume that is the end-all and be-all in the final determining factor," said Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada's high-performance director. "A national championship is always important and it’s important for athletes to be a national champion, to be a medallist. But when we did the assessment with our committee, we looked at all those factors ... and not one is weighted higher than the other.

"If you look at the international season, Vanessa and Eric out of all our pairs teams had the strongest scores. Unfortunately, with a situation largely out of one’s control, with Omicron and *********, they just weren’t able to complete the event. But we look at the body of work of all athletes and we want to make the best assessment for the strongest team we feel has the best ability for us at the Games."
He needs to change the last sentence to read “We want to make the best assessment for the strongest team we feel has the best POTENTIAL for us at the Games.”

W/M have the best ability right now. At least they can get through an SP and LP.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Which former skaters are openly disliking the decision, other than Virtue?

I have to say that I found Walsh/Michaud very subdued in their post-skate interview with Balde. It was like they knew going in to the competition that they wouldn’t be selected. My respect to them, they handled it very well despite how difficult it must have been.
If you scroll through the likes on Liz Manley's instagram post you can see some but Tessa, Gabby, Kaitlyn Weaver, Kaetlyn Osmond, Mathieu Ostiguy, Haley Sales, Ali Schumacher and that was scrolling quickly through the list. I don't know how to search these things. What I did notice is a lot of skaters (non elite) and coaches I have know over the years likes. Some people who wouldn't typically do that. So I suspect Skate Canada membership just see something different in this situation and it doesn't sit well with them.

I personally won't lost any sleep over this. I have also been in a similar situation in a past life where I had to make decisions and decided to go 100% with the head and stick to the criteria we laid out from the start. But sometimes, with hindsight, you see you you should have factored a bit of heart in there for the bigger picture. And I think this was a shortsighted decision based solely on an attempt to get a bronze medal in the team event which could have a negative impact in what is clearly a rebuilding stage for Skate Canada and their talent.

But again, not going to lose sleep over it.

skategal

Bunny mama
Placement and score. J/R didn't compete there. W/M score at Worlds is lower than what J/R have achieved in almost all competitions; they placed 12th Skate Canada can't 'fix' J/R scores in all international competitions.... And the point is, it's easier to act like there are no reasons to select J/R but there are... land someone with a mathematical mind like Duhamel is could and should probably this
I didn’t say there were no reasons and neither are the skaters disagreeing with the decision.

They think it is unfair.

I think the decision is based on potential not in reality which is fine if that is what Skate Canada wants but we will have to see how it plays out.

pat c

Placement at last year’s World’s was also a criteria.

The point is that Skate Canada didn’t want to give W/M the spot and they did want to give it to J/R.

It would be more honest if they just said that.
Yes, but they'd never publicly come out and actually say it.

Placement and score. J/R didn't compete there. W/M score at Worlds is lower than what J/R have achieved in almost all competitions; they placed 12th Skate Canada can't 'fix' J/R scores in all international competitions.... And the point is, it's easier to act like there are no reasons to select J/R but there are... land someone with a mathematical mind like Duhamel is could and should probably this
There have been a few instances where SC's decisions have been less than stellar, but all skating feds give themselves a back door. Unfair to the athlete? Yes. But they pick the best team in their minds. And no it hasn't happened afaik that a team has withdrawn and still been named to the team. Did a team skate less than stellar and still end up on the team? Yes.

I feel for Walsh and Michaud. I also feel for James and Radford. It was a situation not of their making, but they're in the fall out.
Sport is not only performed on the ice, but in the backroom where the athlete has zero control. It does suck.

sap5

If you scroll through the likes on Liz Manley's instagram post you can see some but Tessa, Gabby, Kaitlyn Weaver, Kaetlyn Osmond, Mathieu Ostiguy, Haley Sales, Ali Schumacher and that was scrolling quickly through the list. I don't know how to search these things. What I did notice is a lot of skaters (non elite) and coaches I have know over the years likes. Some people who wouldn't typically do that. So I suspect Skate Canada membership just see something different in this situation and it doesn't sit well with them.

I personally won't lost any sleep over this. I have also been in a similar situation in a past life where I had to make decisions and decided to go 100% with the head and stick to the criteria we laid out from the start. But sometimes, with hindsight, you see you you should have factored a bit of heart in there for the bigger picture. And I think this was a shortsighted decision based solely on an attempt to get a bronze medal in the team event which could have a negative impact in what is clearly a rebuilding stage for Skate Canada and their talent.

I agree that there seems to be more to story here.

muffinplus

I didn’t say there were no reasons and neither are the skaters disagreeing with the decision.

They think it is unfair.

I think the decision is based on potential not in reality which is fine if that is what Skate Canada wants but we will have to see how it plays out.

Right, what I'm saying is that they are acting like it's "unfair" in a very emotional way without considering J/R had legitimate reasons to be picked... to me, that's ignoring it 🤷

Rafter

Interesting to see who is being vocal about it. Of course current skaters like Sales and Schumacher are peers of Walsh and Michaud and the girls are probably all friends.

Retired skaters can say whatever they want with no recourse.

I’m surprised about Daleman being so public. You’d think she’d keep her mouth shut given her trying to get back into SC good books.

I don’t understand the argument that I see people making here and on Insta that “it’s Walsh/Michaud’s turn, that they’ve worked hard for 4 years and deserve it, etc”. That’s not the way things work. This is a sport and nothing is guaranteed especially with Skate Canada’s new criteria.

Walsh/Michaud should have done better in the fall.

wickedwitch

Their reaction is so fascinating to me. I've never seen the community so openly against a federation's decision like this. It makes me wonder if we aren't being told the whole story and there were behind the scenes stuff (like J/R being promised an Oly spot this summer, before they ever competed).

Rafter

It’s possible Skate Canada people know things we don’t, like feedback from international judges re Walsh/Michaud. Just guessing here. Ted Barton made some comment during the ladies about other feds/judges making comments about Schizas at worlds etc. It’s probably the same for others.

Maybe Skate Canada doesn’t see Walsh/Michaud as having a high ceiling? They are mismatched physically is one issue that I’m sure international judges don’t like. I also dislike the throw 3toe, they should learn a new one.

sap5

Their reaction is so fascinating to me. I've never seen the community so openly against a federation's decision like this. It makes me wonder if we aren't being told the whole story and there were behind the scenes stuff (like J/R being promised an Oly spot this summer, before they ever competed).
I don't know if there were promises made, but there definitely seems to be something going on. All the drama around James/Radford has been excessive from the very beginning, imo.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I'm sure all this angst from skaters and Skate Canada members has to do with Eric's dishonesty about how this partnership was formed, and his statements about the opportunities this new partnership can bring to him.

Though, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. W&M performed terribly during this season before Nats, and are a team I would count on to more likely put down a lift than to complete them all. Even while James and Radford fell all over the place in their assignments, they were still outskating Walsh and Michaud. The Olympic Team was a forgone conclusion.

Rafter

Hmm had not thought of this angle before. Wouldn’t surprise me if true!

Seerek

I brought up this exact theory back in April when the partnership was announced.
I wouldn't put it past SC to have at least been "behind the scenes" on this from the point 2021 Worlds ended.

This decision likely means MT/M won't be doing both Olympic Team Event segments if both teams are healthy, right?
It makes me wonder if we aren't being told the whole story and there were behind the scenes stuff (like J/R being promised an Oly spot this summer, before they ever competed).

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It is pretty substantial seeing how many athletes and people within Skate Canada are either quietly (in the form of likes supporting anything not J/R) or loudly (well Duhamel was obvious, but even Barton was heavily pushing it and of course Weaver flat-out saying it) pushing for Walsh/Michaud making the team.

Skate Canada as an organization has been problematic for the top athletes in the last year. I explained in more detail when Worlds was coming around, but I had talked to enough of the high-level skaters following canceled Nationals last year to know that there was really no plan set in motion, no organization, no communication, almost like they were sitting around waiting for Worlds to be canceled so they didn't have to deal with anything. There are Canadian journalists on this board that will also back this up. It was a mess, and David Wilson came out in an interview stating a lot of the problems. I'm not expecting them to immediately figure out how to fix problems, but they really weren't doing much of anything last year. So, in short, the athletes were already :rolleyes: at the Federation.

Radford burned a lot of bridges by coming back, which is of course the nature of the sport and his choice to do so. He had composed the short program music of Moore-Towers/Marinaro, and they got rid of that program real quick. She did an interview with Cafecito Con Masha and very definitively said 'Not anymore!' to that, but people here overlooked that and insisted on Kristen and Meagan hating each other and having rink drama. He had choreographed for Walsh/Michaud this year, and they went and got new choreographers. Another thing is that Eric was very vocal about he himself having 'more opportunities' arise by skating with Vanessa; he said it himself and Duhamel relayed it as a reason he gave her on TSL. I think a little bit of all of that is what we are seeing now. The 2018 gold medal-winning team was all pretty close, as well, so whether you agree with him finding a new partner or not, I think the revelations of them working behind the scenes for so long assuring she would be released probably rubbed Virtue the wrong way, too. Whether Skate Canada assured them of anything when they partnered up, I don't know but I wouldn't be that surprised. And actually, even though those overall numbers have to count somewhat, Walsh/Michaud, albeit not by much, also beat James and Radford in the short in Zagreb. It wasn't an overwhelmingly consistent fall for any of them.

As far as the team event, I would think Skate Canada is going to allow Moore-Towers/Marinaro to select whether they want to do both programs or not. The men likely have to be split unless Keegan wants to do a ton of work. I don't think Canada will be a factor for a medal after the short programs, anyways, so let Sadovsky have the off-chance that he hits everything and surprises in the LP ;)

pat c

I don't know if there were promises made, but there definitely seems to be something going on. All the drama around James/Radford has been excessive from the very beginning, imo.
It certainly got everyone's attention. :) Teams that grow together from a young age and stay together are a rarity. And when it happens, it does in a way perpetuate a myth that these things happen without any input from someone. In a lot of cases, there is someone who sees the potential and guides things along. We just don't know it.

shutterbug

Kaitlyn Weaver indicated that there is more to the story than we (the public) know.

That could be why they are so upset.
Going to call a spade a spade here - naming James/Radford to the Olympic team is clearly a business decision by Skate Canada, likely made some time ago. Only one of MT/M or W/M was going to get the other spot, which was obvious when J/R were allowed to remain in the competitive bubble after withdrawing from the competition. The only way the narrative could possibly have been altered was for both MT/M and W/M to have skated lights out all season and soundly trounced J/R on numerous occasions. Business decisions are rarely popular among the rank and file as we're seeing from the backlash from the skating community, but the name recognition factor of the J/R pairing was just too great for Skate Canada to pass up, especially fielding an Olympic team of skaters not well known by the casual viewer.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
So why doesn't she just say the rest of the story? Or say why she can't say it? The way this is going on just seems icky.
I don’t know.

I wish someone would say it. :lol:

Liz is close to spilling the beans. Maybe she will at some point.
If they know there is more to the story, maybe they know that it will come out in due time and they are just preparing people for it. A scoop without scooping, perhaps. ;)

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I just like to give a shout out to Soucisse and Ferris for keeping it together when they lost "their" chance at the Olympics after their country recruited an outside team. I respect them for never trying to get their peers, fans and supporters to take a public crap on the Canadanes.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I just like to give a shout out to Soucisse and Ferris for keeping it together when they lost "their" chance at the Olympics after their country recruited an outside team. I respect them for never trying to get their peers, fans and supporters to take a public crap on the Canadanes.
This.... is not what happened.

But I agree, Soucisse and Firus have been very classy throughout. But I also suspect they knew they were a longshot at best, especially with the rise of Lajoie and Lagha.

Desperado

Would the nomination be better accepted if J/R had not even showed up to Nationals? Contrary to a well-known tennis player, it was clear that Radford was affected by the virus. It looked to me he was having as hard a time of it as Nam. It would've affected their long performance and probably did affect the short. I don't think the withdrawal would have happened if it weren't for the illness, even if they would've underperformed in the short fully healthy.

I'm here for all the SC gossip though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information