Skate America 2021 Returns to Las Vegas

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I don't remember hearing anything about a clear bag policy back in 2019 (mom and I would surely have prepared for that and I know I took a regular small tote bag to the arena) but I have a new clear bag that I got back in August to use for this trip and potentially during US Nats if they decide to go that route as well. I definitely remember bringing capris and some comfortable tops to wear during the day and making sure to have jeans, long sleeved shirts, and my fleece jacket for when I was at the arena. I can't believe that we fly out a week from today! :cheer:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I can’t wait! My niece and I have a trip planned to the Grand Canyon for Thursday. 😃

Oh I've been there before and it's beautiful! I hope you guys have a great trip! :)

My mom and I are going to see Mat Franco's show on Thursday night (I believe he was the first magician to win America's Got Talent several years ago) and I'm SUPER excited because he's so good and I've long wanted to see his show! :cheer:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Things have changed a lot since 2019, as we all know. YKW has changed many things that we took for granted.
The clear bag policy has nothing to do with YKW though. It's a security issue.

why clear bags?? I don't get it.
So they can be sure you aren't bringing in any contraband. The security line goes faster if they can see through your bag and not have to feel around and root through it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I can’t wait! My niece and I have a trip planned to the Grand Canyon for Thursday. 😃
Did you mean the West Rim of the Grand Canyon? I saw it a few years ago. I wanted to see the glass platform. It feels bigger in photos than reality. Still worth visiting once. The disappointing thing is they don't let you take photos when you are on the platform. Their photographer takes photos for you.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

So they can be sure you aren't bringing in any contraband. The security line goes faster if they can see through your bag and not have to feel around and root through it.
You posted that they let you carry your opaque bag in 2019. Everything is stricter now.

Carolla5501

Well yes and no.

A lot more places went to clear bag during the covid outbreak because it reduces touchpoints. Think about it do you really want someone who might have Covid pawing through your belongings?

(For those of you thinking the rules don't apply to me " I am sure your "DWKWIA" act will entertain the others in line behind you. We got to watch that a college football game a few weeks ago.... the woman in front of us acted like since she was a 'BIG DONER' she got to bring in her big bag. She didn't LOL!)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My main concern about the clear bag is carrying my DL and credit cards where everyone can see those. I don't use my iPhone to buy things.

Carolla5501

My main concern about the clear bag is carrying my DL and credit cards where everyone can see those. I don't use my iPhone to buy things.
Put them in something. I have a small cloth bag I stick in there with cash, cards etc.. Or my wallet.
What is RDIF?
A waste of money. Supposedly it stops someone from reading your credit card "chip' from a distance. Of course the chip basically has to be ON a reader to actually emit so is someone is standing on your foot your are in danger. Don't believe me, try leaving your card in your purse next time you pump gas... after all that reader can read the card from a long way away....

I work in cybersecurity, even if this was easy the criminal would much rather buy thousands of good card numbers on the dark web!

"But even if the RFID blocking products did protect better than Reynolds Wrap™, the fact remains that in over a decade, not a single crime involving an RFID-enabled device has been reported in the public domain. I don’t just mean credit card crime. I mean no real RFID-enabled crime ever!"

Manufacturers of RFID-blocking products usually explain how RFID skimming works. Sometimes they refer to demonstrations by security experts at conferences showing that it is possible, or they quote statistics that refer to different kinds of credit card crime.

“It’s pretty much a scam,” Grimes said. “There has never been a single reported RFID crime that would have been blocked by one of these products, but even if there were 10 reported crimes, is that something that should generate a multi-million-dollar industry?”

MacMadame

Doing all the things
RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification. It's a chip technology. It's used by a number of devices including many phones, any card you can tap-to-pay with, and pet microchips.

Some people steal credit cards by walking by people with an RFID reader. At least in theory. I've read that there aren't any known cases of this. Most cc fraud happens due to skimming and theft at the point of sale.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The best advice I ever got regarding safeguarding cards and cash came from a state trooper. He said that the bad guys expect that a woman’s purse will be a good target. They also expect a guy’s right back pocket to be a good target. Confuse them by putting your critical stuff in an odd spot like your left front pocket.

sk9tingfan

The best advice I ever got regarding safeguarding cards and cash came from a state trooper. He said that the bad guys expect that a woman’s purse will be a good target. They also expect a guy’s right back pocket to be a good target. Confuse them by putting your critical stuff in an odd spot like your left front pocket.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
My credit card info was stolen at a gas station while traveling late at night. I didn’t even use my credit card, I paid cash for a coffee. While in line someone stood super close to me, on my purse side. My card was then used at that same gas station 15 minutes later. We reported it but they didn’t take a report since my credit card company erased the charges. The Sheriff said it was likely an RDIF scanner since my card was not used there.

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t but I needed a new card holder and paid all of $18 for it. That is one good thing about the crud, anyone gets that close to me now I will ask them to step back.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That is one good thing about the crud, anyone gets that close to me now I will ask them to step back.
True, dat! My sense of personal space has always been larger than average but now people give me enough space. Hope that doesn't change any time soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information