Skate America 2021 Returns to Las Vegas

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
For those thinking of ways to store their layers without adding weight, I always bring a drawstring garbage bag, stuff my coat and extras into it, and store it under my seat.
Do you have a garbage bag that is clear? I don't know if the blue ones are clear enough. My old apar building required those for recyclables. They used to pick up our garbage and recyclables.

Barbara Manatee

The clear bag policy doesn't mean you can only bring clear items into the arena, it means you carry your belongings in a clear bag instead of an opaque bag. So you are free to toss a standard black empty folded up trash bag into your clear bag alongside your wallet and comb and whatever else and take it inside.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I have not tried this particular hotel but I think the concierge can help you call a cab. I plan on going to the front of the hotel and call Lyft/Uber each evening after the competition. I think you can also get phone numbers of taxis ahead and call them When needed. I never had difficulty getting a taxi there. Taxis in Vegas tend to be expensive but the airport is very close. It shouldn't matter.

You are going to be waiting a very long time if you ask the concierge to call a cab. No diss on the concierges, but the hotel will have a lot of guests that weekend and the concierges will be very busy. Download the Lyft/Uber app and use that. I think that most of the taxi companies have apps as well.

Also, pretty much every hotel that I saw in LV had separate pick-up areas for taxis, buses and Uber/Lyft. Make sure you wait in the right place.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You are going to be waiting a very long time if you ask the concierge to call a cab. No diss on the concierges, but the hotel will have a lot of guests that weekend and the concierges will be very busy. Download the Lyft/Uber app and use that. I think that most of the taxi companies have apps as well.

Also, pretty much every hotel that I saw in LV had separate pick-up areas for taxis, buses and Uber/Lyft. Make sure you wait in the right place.
I have the Lyft and Uber apps. I have used them many times. Why did you have to diss me like that? The question is which place to wait at, not how to call a ride. I could call Lyft/uber/taxi from anywhere.

I have been to Vegas many times, like most Arizonans. I am not a first timer there nor am I a first time traveler.:mad:

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The clear bag policy doesn't mean you can only bring clear items into the arena, it means you carry your belongings in a clear bag instead of an opaque bag. So you are free to toss a standard black empty folded up trash bag into your clear bag alongside your wallet and comb and whatever else and take it inside.
Comb? When was the last time I used a comb? :)
I am not going to bring a trash bag- just my choice. I won't bring whatever doesn't fit into my clear bag. Hopefully they will allow me to bring a blanket. Otherwise I may have to wrap myself in it. :)

Chances are I will have the warm clothes on most of the time, except during day when I step outside.

Last edited:

AnnM

I was thinking that front of the hotel would be easy to find a ride. Not so? I try to avoid long queues.
The arena dropoff/pick up spot in 2019 was closer to the arena exit than walking through the hotel. The line wasn't overwhelming at all and I'm guessing it was probably less of a crowd than the hotel's dropoff/pick up spot.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have a comb in my purse! I don't really use it much but it takes up less space than a brush which I also don't use very much. :lol:
I guess I don't care much about my hair. After wearing a hat it doesnt look pretty, but I don't care. Who is going to judge my hair? LOL.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The arena dropoff/pick up spot in 2019 was closer to the arena exit than walking through the hotel. The line wasn't overwhelming at all and I'm guessing it was probably less of a crowd than the hotel's dropoff/pick up spot.
I will find out the first night there. I don't particularly like a long walk through any hotel in Vegas. So I may just pick the closest spot. Anyway this is not a high priority for me.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I have the Lyft and Uber apps. I have used them many times. Why did you have to diss me like that? The question is which place to wait at, not how to call a ride. I could call Lyft/uber/taxi from anywhere.

I have been to Vegas man times, like most Arizonans. I am not a first timer there nor am I a first time traveler.:mad:

I'm not dissing you. I'm responding to your statement. You were the one who said to ask the concierge to call a cab, and I was pointing out that using the apps is going to be a lot faster.

There might also be people reading this thread who haven't been to Vegas and would appreciate this info.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm not dissing you. I'm responding to your statement. You were the one who said to ask the concierge to call a cab, and I was pointing out that using the apps is going to be a lot faster.
As I wrote, I have the tools to call all forms of rides. There is nothing wrong in asking a concierge (I was trying to help someone who was concerned). I have done it many times in Vegas and other cities. I have also contacted Uber, Lyft, and taxi many times on my own. Sometimes one works better than others. I am not fond of Uber. Too many problems. I do like Lyft.

You wrote that I should install the apps. That is insulting to me. It implies that I am totally ignorant. I am actually a very experienced traveler, all over the world, and particularly in Vegas, since it is so easily reachable from where I live.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
As I wrote, I have the tools to call all forms of rides. There is nothing wrong in asking a concierge (I was trying to help someone who was concerned). I have done it many times in Vegas and other cities. I have also contacted Uber, Lyft, and taxi many times on my own. Sometimes one works better than others. I am not fond of Uber. Too many problems. I do like Lyft.

You wrote that I should install the apps. That is insulting to me. It implies that I am totally ignorant. I am actually a very experienced traveler, all over the world, and particularly in Vegas, since it is so easily reachable from where I live.

Yes, I understand your situation, as you have explained it more than once. You are not the only person in this discussion. There might be others wondering about the same thing, and I posted the information because it might help those people. I don't know why you're interpreting this as a personal attack.

Carolla5501

Actually I would suggest asking bell/valet services to call the cab. The concierge is (A) going to send you to them anyway and (B) be backed up with "wannabe high rollers' thinking their $20 slot play entitles them to free stuff LOL

In Vegas this is generally not handled by the concierge (who is often a LONG way from the front door) I spent a year there one summer and stayed in just about every hotel on the strip as I went back and forth LOL!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
IIRC, we took a cab to and from the airport but we used Uber to get around the city while we were staying there. I could be wrong though...this was two years ago and time has become completely unrecognizable to me in this era of C19 and slight world insanity, LOL :lol:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
IIRC, we took a cab to and from the airport but we used Uber to get around the city while we were staying there. I could be wrong though...this was two years ago and time has become completely unrecognizable to me in this era of C19 and slight world insanity, LOL :lol:
That sounds about right. Except one of my friends had a car so sometimes we carpooled to things. And we used the hotel shuttle to get to the strip. (And I use Lyft because of issues with Uber but same idea.)

For a get-together, we could do the same but I think people will be less comfortable about carpooling these days.

I'm seeing gaps in the schedule on Friday morning and Friday evening. Saturday is pretty booked and people are leaving Sunday. When is the FOFS breakfast?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Friday morning I will be tied up in a meeting elsewhere, so I can't commit to lunch (though I am hoping to get out quickly and make it). Evening/afternoon are ok with me, provided there is enough gap between the sessions. I have not looked up the updated schedule yet.

I am in favor of meeting at the Orleans. It will be easier than going to the strip.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I certainly expect the arena temperature is appropriate. I planned to wear my favorite lightweight cashmere,accented with a tasteful plunging neckline and pearls. But now that Paniot has withdrawn and Mr. Eldredge is not likely to be at the arena,my motivation has evaporated.

I suppose I shall join the lot of you and sashay around the arena in a parka and lug my belongings in a trash bag.

-BB

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am in favor of meeting at the Orleans. It will be easier than going to the strip.
Here are the dining options:

It might be easiest to meet at the food court as we won't need reservations and it's cheap. If we want to do a sit-down, I was unimpressed with the Copper Whisk. I think we did the steakhouse but I don't remember for sure. If I'm remembering correctly, it was fine.

Do we want to keep trying to organize in this thread or should we move to the SkAm forum in the Kiss 'n Cry section of the board?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Here are the dining options:

It might be easiest to meet at the food court as we won't need reservations and it's cheap. If we want to do a sit-down, I was unimpressed with the Copper Whisk. I think we did the steakhouse but I don't remember for sure. If I'm remembering correctly, it was fine.

Do we want to keep trying to organize in this thread or should we move to the SkAm forum in the Kiss 'n Cry section of the board?
If it is a steakhouse, I would probably not go. I am a vegetarian and would like a place that has at least one vegetarian option.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It's also expensive.
I wonder if a buffet may be an option? No waiting/placing orders, etc. It's May be expensive I think. I have not tried anything other than a breakfast buffet in Vegas. It was not too expensive.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I wonder if a buffet may be an option? No waiting/placing orders, etc. It's May be expensive I think. I have not tried anything other than a breakfast buffet in Vegas. It was not too expensive.
I don't think The Orleans has one. They have that fast food court instead.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Here is one, for Orleans. It doesn't sound too expensive.

This link is just to start the options. I am sure there are more.
The article says:

(Editor’s note: While the Orleans itself is open, the Medley Buffet remains closed – as it has since last March. When plans for a buffet re-opening are announced, we’ll update this article accordingly).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The article says:

(Editor’s note: While the Orleans itself is open, the Medley Buffet remains closed – as it has since last March. When plans for a buffet re-opening are announced, we’ll update this article accordingly).
I noticed it but thought it may be a temporary thing.

They have a TGI Friday's. Not a buffet but won't be too expensive. It sounds like a red meat place though. I am sure they have fries for me.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I noticed it but thought it may be a temporary thing.

They have a TGI Friday's. Not a buffet but won't be too expensive. It sounds like a red meat place though. I am sure they have fries for me.
Their website has a menu link and it appears to have at least salad and side items that are vegetarian and a salmon entree if you can eat fish.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Their website has a menu link and it appears to have at least salad and side items that are vegetarian and a salmon entree if you can eat fish.
I don't eat fish. These days most restaurants have at least one vegetarian entre. I will look up the menu To see if they have one. Earlier I was focusing on buffet, for the variety a buffet offers.

Just pick what works for the majority. I can decide if I want to join or not. I don't want to be a roadblock. It will be fun to meet other fsuers, but I don't want to go hungry either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information