Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
For all the complaints about hip hop, this is probably the most authentic hip hop SD in my eyes. The attention to detail and help they got from legit dancer is so apparent. Even the music choice is way more fitting of an actual hip hop program. They just get it. And Maia was hitting it way harder tonight. Love it.

gk_891

I'm impressed. What I like about this team is that they seem to be very willing to address criticisms and really work on them. If all goes well, they can cement themselves as the U.S #1 team going into not only the upcoming Worlds but also next season which is important since it'll be the Olympic season. But there's still a lot to do of course. Don't want to jinx them!

VGThuy

I'm impressed. What I like about this team is that they seem to be very willing to address criticisms and really work on them. If all goes well, they can cement themselves as the U.S #1 team going into both the upcoming Worlds but also next season which is important since it'll be the Olympic season. But there's still a lot to do of course. Don't want to jinx them!

I actually didn't mind the level 3 on the pattern dance because they increased the speed and ice coverage on it compared to the GP series by a good way. They are now confident enough to let go a bit and not be afraid to lose a level if it means a bit more speed and power. I'm incredibly impressed with their obvious but understated desire to be number 1 in the World.

Seeing the way Maia performed the SD tonight, it was like seeing it for the first time. They added more dancing sprinkled throughout the SD and I love all the little gestures and moves they do throughout the dance (including during the elements). I didn't expect the SD to be as improved as it was, and they didn't even add that much, it was a lot of little things that really add up. They are so detailed-oriented that it's like they know those details make a big difference in people's perception of the program.

Before this season, many people were wondering if hip hop would be accepted by the judges and whether the hip hop would be a wise choice for the Shibs. All the research, experts they sought out, and love they put into the program really showed and continues to show in how they keep taking the SD further. Breaking the national record set by Davis/White in an Olympic year where they were favorites for the gold shows that hip hop was a wise choice for the Shibs after all.

They were so on and Maia is so in to it. In my eyes she has become the "IT GIRL."

Absolutely. From 2009-2015, I had a soft spot for the Shibs because I personally relate to them and a lot of their critiques from ice dance fans from that period. I always thought Maia wasn't really appreciated for the beautiful qualities she had, but I understood the critiques. I never expected Maia to blossom in the way that she has. Her transformation has been the most amazing thing for me this whole Olympic cycle.

snoopy

I just watched the shibs and vm back to back. Since the ladies both nail it, Alex was the tie breaker for me. I think he performed it better than Scott. And shibs is the most authentic hip hop, though that probably won't matter with the judges this year. If the shibs can keep working on their power, maybe they can take the SD.

arakwafan2006

For all the complaints about hip hop, this is probably the most authentic hip hop SD in my eyes. The attention to detail and help they got from legit dancer is so apparent. Even the music choice is way more fitting of an actual hip hop program. They just get it. And Maia was hitting it way harder tonight. Love it.

exactly! They did not do a lose interpretation of Hip-Hop, it was literal and risky and it looks good.

DDNatalia

The level of research and effort the Shibs put in to deliver as authentic, creative, entertaining and cohesive program, that meets the guidelines of combining two disparate rhythms (blues and hip hop) is exceptional. I would bet, it is also underappreciated. To me, it reflects the Shibs approach to really own their material. To showcase their creative abilities, performance skills and even sense of humor.

They have said the lyrics have meaning for them and their career:
"Some people get their kicks, stompin' on a dream, but I don't let it get me down ... each time I find myself flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race"

The Frank Sinatra-Jay Z connection is grounded in Hip Hop, Jay Z's own words and discussed by media and musicologists:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-had-tougher-upbringing-than-sinatra-20101213

The voice over in the middle is what Alex called an "Easter Egg surprise." Hilarious line from Will Ferrell from movie "Blades of Glory"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh0IBg7GBeY

:rofl:

chapis

The level of research and effort the Shibs put in to deliver as authentic, creative, entertaining and cohesive program, that meets the guidelines of combining two disparate rhythms (blues and hip hop) is exceptional. I would bet, it is also underappreciated. To me, it reflects the Shibs approach to really own their material. To showcase their creative abilities, performance skills and even sense of humor.

They have said the lyrics have meaning for them and their career:
"Some people get their kicks, stompin' on a dream, but I don't let it get me down ... each time I find myself flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race"

The Frank Sinatra-Jay Z connection is grounded in Hip Hop, Jay Z's own words and discussed by media and musicologists:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-had-tougher-upbringing-than-sinatra-20101213

The voice over in the middle is what Alex called an "Easter Egg surprise." Hilarious line from Will Ferrell from movie "Blades of Glory"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh0IBg7GBeY

:rofl:

That scene kills me :rofl:

And about the competition, how is it possible we have not a high definition or at least decent definition video yet? Please!!, someone show compassion for us :wuzrobbed

Last edited:

suki

I'm out of the country right now, so I'm just catching up. Really, I can't add to the great comments here, except to say if they had any more charisma, the ice would melt. Just fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VGThuy

I hate to say it, but I think the Shibs need to shorten the "Spiegel im Spiegel" part and maybe add a third piece to bridge that and the Truman Show soundtrack. Too many find it monotonous and they need the program to really build up and sing to get that emotional response. I also think Nationals was a wake up call that they need to be a bit more dynamic. This was probably the first Nationals where the crowd didn't seem 100% behind them in the FD. Compare this to any of their senior National performances and listen to the crowd reaction. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I do think they need to do something with that FD even after the GPF. If they really want to prove to everyone that they can be number 1 in the World, they need to step it up. They smartly changed "Fix You" after the ho-hum response at Nepela before Skate Canada, no reason why they can't do something similar before 4CC and build it up at Worlds.

Spun Silver

Unfortunately all Arvo Part's music is low key like that and Philip Glass's all sounds alike. That said maybe one could find sthg vocal to change things up. But couldnt adding moves and increasing speed have the same effect?

I dont really think this program is very fixable the way you're suggesting though. It's just inherently a rather remote program due to the music choices. They could go back to FY.... or try something new. But that's a huge risk.

VGThuy

Going back to Fix You will ensure that they will be dropped. I think this they need to invite Peter T. back or invite another on ice choreographer to work with them on this program from now to 4CC to add more to it. I think its one of the superior works this season but most people don't agree with that.

Spun Silver

Was that lift where he lowered her to his knees and back up there before? I loved that touch. It added a bit of emotion and drama. Maybe Peter could come up with some more touches like that.

chapis

Did you note the ¨changes¨ that Alex mentioned in that interview? I saw and hear the same .

And yes, I guess this is like music, if you want to sell you need to give to people what they want.

VGThuy

I think they should play with that theme. Like their final choreographic twizzles could be done in a mirror form and not look so rushed and basic. Actually, I think they should re-work both choreographic elements. It'd be cool to see them do the entire last sequence after their diagonal footwork in mirror form. That'd be a lasting image.

Spun Silver

I think they should play with that theme. Like their final choreographic twizzles could be done in a mirror form and not look so rushed and basic. Actually, I think they should re-work both choreographic elements. It'd be cool to see them do the entire last sequence after their diagonal footwork in mirror form. That'd be a lasting image.
Agree, but there needs to be a little miming or earlier choreo to establish the idea up front. We know what the musicis but I'm not seeing "mirror" in the program at all... unless I missed that too. :/

VGThuy

They are not pushing a mirror theme at all. The name of the music is just called "mirror in mirror" but their theme is something else. I only mentioned mirror because it was what I suggested when I suggested this music for them in December 2015 at the last Shibs thread. Of course if they do the entire final sequence in mirror they need to introduce that earlier. That'll be too much of a change at this point in the season. I still think a mirror choreographic twizzle sequence will work (don't need a full on twizzle theme to do that) since they turn in opposite directions to their final mirror-like poses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information