Selection Criteria published for 2019-20 Skate Canada National & NextGen Teams; Competitive Singles Bonus Structure

Sylvia

TBD
I've seen the topic of the Skate Canada national team's revised criteria being discussed in various threads on FSU so here's one central thread with a link to the 2019 NextGen selection guidelines included below.

This link was originally posted & discussed in the Canadian Pairs thread on February 14, 2019:
Has anyone else seen this yet? National team in all disciplines is just top 3 https://noticeboard.skatecanada.ca/2019/01/25/2019-2020-national-teams/ I wonder why the change?
Effective July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020

The National Team comprises those athletes who meet the following criteria:

-Top three in the senior singles, pairs and ice dance disciplines at the 2019 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships
-Assigned to a 2019 ISU Grand Prix event
-Competing in the 2019-2020 season

Skate Canada has the discretion to add athletes based on new partnerships of current and former national team members.

Top 3 at 2019 Canadian Nationals:
Alaine Chartrand, Aurora Cotop, Véronik Mallet
Nam Nguyen, Stephen Gogolev, Keegan Messing
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro, Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud, Camille Ruest / Drew Wolfe
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje, Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier, Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen

One reply posted during the subsequent discussion in the Canadian Pairs thread:
Most national team athletes are NOT funded through national team membership; if you receive funding via Sport Canada, you're not eligible for the national team grant. And most athletes who make top five nationally are nominated for carding unless citizenship issues prohibit it (for example, Nikolaj wouldn't be Sport Canada-eligible until he gains citizenship). I will note further that the AAP covers junior skaters.

Seems just as likely to be about greater wiggle room to name high-ranking skaters who have bad outings at Nationals. (Returning skaters get a bye-add, as we've seen.) It doesn't say they're limiting to three skaters/teams apiece, but seems to be readable as "top 3, as well as those who meet this criteria."

---

2019 NextGen Team Selection Guidelines were published in English and French on December 3, 2018 on Skate Canada's website: https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2019-NextGen-Selection-Guidelines-EN-FR-FINAL.pdf

Last edited:

Colonel Green

A lot of people were debating whether all of the criteria listed have to be met or not. It seems like that's the inference from the wording, but if you take that literally, then Gabby Daleman won't be the national team next season, which obviously she will be.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Every year there are skaters who aren't on the national team who skate internationally, even up to the grand prix level. And a skater like Daleman, even if she wasn't named to the national team due to missing the first criteria - I'm pretty sure she's funded at the highest level via Sport Canada due to her international results anyway.

I hope they intend top three from nationals and/or assigned to a senior grand prix make the national team. I mean Gogolev isn't eligible for a (senior) grand prix but I think it would be silly not to have the second place finisher at nationals on the national team.

Colonel Green

Every year there are skaters who aren't on the national team who skate internationally, even up to the grand prix level. And a skater like Daleman, even if she wasn't named to the national team due to missing the first criteria - I'm pretty sure she's funded at the highest level via Sport Canada due to her international results anyway.
I'm not saying that it would cause Gabby financial issues, but practically speaking, they are not going to have the national team not have the person that everybody knows is Canada's #1 lady by a country mile. It kind of detracts from the whole point.

RoseRed

I hope they intend top three from nationals and/or assigned to a senior grand prix make the national team. I mean Gogolev isn't eligible for a (senior) grand prix but I think it would be silly not to have the second place finisher at nationals on the national team.
There's a decent chance Stephen will be on the Next Gen team still, since he isn't senior eligible, rather than the National team.

Last year, Joseph came 6th at Nats, Roman came 7th and Nic came 9th. Both Roman and Nic were added to the National team, while Jo was NextGen.

I think they want skaters on the National team to be competing as seniors for the most part. Aurora did get on the National team last year after coming 5th and then did a JGP, but she mostly did seniors this year.

Sylvia

TBD
@Vase, do you know where the NextGen Camp is being held this year?
The Next Gen Camp this week will maybe give insight for the upcoming season.
I found a reference in an article about 2019 Canadian Junior silver medalist Maddie Schizas filming as a double for Netlix's Spinning Out series that she "will be leaving Sunday for a Skate Canada NextGen training camp."

ETA reply posted in the other thread:
Nottawasaga, Ontario

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, @RoseRed!

The 3 NextGen Kelowna Skating Club members listed in the IG post linked above are Olivia Gran [S9 at 2019 Canadians], Emma Bulawka [J4] and Vienna Harwood [N7]. Gran and Bulawka were on the 2018-19 NextGen team; Harwood is new for 2019-20.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Thanks, @RoseRed!

The 3 NextGen Kelowna Skating Club members listed in the IG post linked above are Olivia Gran [S9 at 2019 Canadians], Emma Bulawka [J4] and Vienna Harwood [N7]. Gran and Bulawka were on the 2018-19 NextGen team; Harwood is new for 2019-20.
A few others have been announced already: Eric Liu, Matthew Newnham, and McQuilkin/Portz (all shared by their respective clubs I think).

RoseRed

From Instagram stories yesterday, all of these skaters are present at the camp in addition to the ones we already know (only posting the ones I'm totally sure about, although for the pairs/dancers I'm writing the team if I just saw one of them):

Men
  • Ilya Kovler

Dance
  • Bronsard/Bouaraguia
  • Bashynska/Beaumont
  • Galiyanova/Lochhead

Pairs
  • Panetta/Mimar
  • Levesque/Hudon

Ladies
  • Hannah Dawson
  • Melaurie Boivin

I'm also pretty sure that Patricia Andrews is there, presumably with Paxton Fletcher.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Also spotted via an IG story today:

Emily Bausback [S10]
Melody Zhu [N4]

And Moore-Towers/Marinaro are in Nottawasaga.

ETA on Tuesday:

Kirsten M-T posted an IG story clip of Eric Liu [S11] landing a 3A.

Conrad Orzel was invited to the NextGen camp in "a leadership role" (Corey Cicelli posted in the comments): https://www.instagram.com/p/BxLQtvblXt4/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Ontario also posted the names on their website: https://skateontario.org/nextgen-camp/

Catherine Carle – Women
Hannah Dawson – Women
Amelia Orzel – Women
Madeline Schizas – Women
Alison Schumacher – Women

Corey Circelli – Men
Alec Guinzbourg – Men
Iliya Kovler – Men
Stephen Gogolev – Men (Named to the team – Not in attendance at the camp)

Nadiia Bashynska/Peter Beaumont – Dance
Natalie D’Alessandro/Bruce Waddell – Dance
Irina Galiyanova/Grayson Lochhead – Dance
Sophia Kagolvskaya/Kieran MacDonald – Dance
Olivia McIsaac/Corey Circelli – Dance

Patricia Andrew/Zachary Daleman – Pairs (NEW)
Brooke McIntosh/Brandon Toste – Pairs
The Skate Canada Nextgen Camp focuses on basic skating and technical development through on-ice sessions for athletes and Coaches. Off-ice sessions outlining individualized competitive strategies and planning were also held.

Skate Ontario skaters Kirsten Moore Towers, Michael Marinaro, Aurora Cotop and Conrad Orzel were also in attendance helping out the Nextgen skaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information