RuPaul’s Drag Race 16 (2024)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Personally for me I think it’s similar to the queens arriving without any ability to sew.
I think this is another situation where the Ru era differs from real life. Two generations ago, drag queens made almost everything and it was rare for them not to have those skills. Someone starting in drag now has hundreds of places to get properly sized outfits, undergarments, and even shoes. Many/most baby queens wear hand me downs.

If the producers want those skills to continue to be a requirement, they need to cast accordingly.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think this is another situation where the Ru era differs from real life. Two generations ago, drag queens made almost everything and it was rare for them not to have those skills. Someone starting in drag now has hundreds of places to get properly sized outfits, undergarments, and even shoes. Many/most baby queens wear hand me downs.

If the producers want those skills to continue to be a requirement, they need to cast accordingly.
I actually don't mind the queens who resort to the hot glue gun. It adds to the drama.

BTW - has anyone else been watching the latest UK Vs The World? Watched the first episode last night. Already enjoying it. Good range of queens from around the world.

peibeck

Simply looking

I did drag for 20+ years, and trust me, most queens are not/were not decent with a sewing machine. I could do a little, but certainly not whip up some of these runway looks in a matter of hours. But... from what I understand, the edits are so deceiving on "Drag Race," and contestants often either have more time to prepare (like for the Rusical) or assistance by being able to use clothes they brought with them (such as a corset) as a base in sewing challenges.

What's most problematic to me is how Ru and Michelle often dog contestants for their looks, but they certainly aren't designing their own costumes, wigs or applying their own makeup. Meanwhile, a lot of these contestants are spending an ENORMOUS amount of funds getting their runway looks prepped in hopes they last long enough to get high paying gigs from their time on the show.

If someone can sew and is able to pull from their wardrobe something which meets the "runway category" (which the contestants are only given 3 weeks in advance!), they have some small advantage. But I know some of these beaded and rhinestoned creations are custom made $5 - $10k+ designs, and definitely not made by the contestants.

Having met more than a few Ru girls over the years, some have made out extremely well, but some have found it a horrible experience they deeply regretted, especially when Ru is now earning $1M per episode and the queens are still getting only $400 per "week" they last. :eek:

Aceon6

Oy, yet another design challenge when we know the top 3 before they hit the runway. To my eyes, the right queen got the sashay as I don’t think she had much more to show.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Plasma had two wins. I think regardless of how good the lipsynch was from Mhiayah, Plasma's track record meant she was deserving of continuing.

On the other side of the world, have been following the UK Vs the World.

Am enjoying it but again Snatch Game was a bit of a dog.

Aceon6

Plasma had two wins. I think regardless of how good the lipsynch was from Mhiayah, Plasma's track record meant she was deserving of continuing.
Deserving, yes, but Ru has never hidden her slight disdain for the B’way queens to the point of launching QotU to move them out of the RPDR pipeline.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Plasma, Bloody Mary - Lady Gaga. getting justice..watch this

Aceon6

Hmmmm. Well THAT was interesting. Being vague for those who want to stay unspoiled. Three front runners in the bottom. I wonder if the decision was made before the episode was taped, or if they had a “if one of these queens uses the save potion, we will do X.” I’m not mad at it.

Plane going off on Dawn in untucked was just too much. Without Plasma to pick on, I guess she couldn’t resist. I can’t help but watch the post show $ go down the drain with the people she’s alienating.

RoseAugust

I'm wondering about the potion factor too. I wasn't surprised Plane used it to save Nymphia because she has a very high opinion of herself and I also don't think she is as bad of a person as she comes across. This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I find that Q, who was an early favorite of mine, now gets on my last nerve.

Aceon6

Q, who was an early favorite of mine, now gets on my last nerve.
Same, but I think my option is based in part on how she paints and how that impacts her facial expressions. Last week, I couldn’t unsee scary clown. Combine the look with the words…

Aceon6

???

In my opinion, there was no bottom, there was a top two but no bottoms
The queens read it as Mhi’ya, Sapphira, and Morphine as the top with Nymphia and Dawn as underperforming, and Q and Plane in the middle. But with how it played out…

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The queens read it as Mhi’ya, Sapphira, and Morphine as the top with Nymphia and Dawn as underperforming, and Q and Plane in the middle. But with how it played out…

I don’t think Ru or production had a bottom. Everyone seem to do fairly well. I don’t even think nymphia needed the save.

I think I am rooting for Q or Sapphira just not Jane

I like nymphia and Dawn but they are just too One note

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I was surprised that Q did not get this win, but also Sapphira is making strong gains, I’ve definitely had her in my top four, now I have her in my top two and if she keeps going like this may be the winner. Which I wasn’t thinking before

This was a good episode that showcased the top four. I don’t know who this guest judge is… It’s getting more and more I’m like are these people just TikTok personalities or YT people because I don’t know most of them anymore.

Untucked was good as well

RoseAugust

I was pleasantly surprised with the top two. I enjoyed Nymphia the most because she really made me laugh and I loved her runway. I think Sapphire is definitely a judge favorite but I don't think Nymphia is. Plane Jane and Q did such a great job with both the challenge and runway, I assumed one or both of them would be in the top spot. Anyway, I actually agreed with Ru this week.

Aceon6

I’ve just caught up. Again, I’m not surprised at the sashay (see post 4). @tony do you have any insider info on how the rest will play out?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I’ve just caught up. Again, I’m not surprised at the sashay (see post 4). @tony do you have any insider info on how the rest will play out?
I think it's a top 3 finale, potentially with them each doing individual performances to where Rupaul will pick the top 2 lip sync- at least that's been the 'buzz'. Pretty certain Morphine isn't there. However, I also thought the two Miami girl lip sync happened later in the season than it did.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I just adored the name lazy Susan. What a great job they did. This is my favorite challenge to look forward to …the sister/makeover challenge and was surprised it happened so late.

I’m surprised nymphia has made it as far as she has, but she really is a good fashion queen.

Added a few moments later – I take it most people who come to this thread are up to the current episodes. And none of this is a spoiler. Also, could someone DM me the HTML code you do to create a spoiler.

Last edited:

RoseAugust

I would have given the win to Nymphia. But the name of Lazy Susan also made me laugh. Plane Jane makes me laugh the most. I adore her. Having said that, I thought her family makeover was too identical and lacking in creativity. Although I didn't really like Q's clown approach, I agree with Morphine being given the sashay.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I wish Dawn was in this week's challenge, because the guy who played Lazy Susan looked like Dawn. Plane Jane needed a "sister" with a larger chin.

Oh, I did not realize that, you’re right. But we would’ve seen two identical elves or fairies. It would’ve been too predictable.

Aceon6

At this point, I’m not sure who I want to win. I know production likes to mix it up and there hasn’t been an Asian winner since Raja. Try as I can, I’m not into Nymphia and Plane’s bullying of the weaker contestants in the earlier episodes still bugs. I don’t see Q as representing the brand, so that leaves Sapphira.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information