RPDR 12

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Ru Paul’s Drag Race season 12 premiers tonight (Friday 28 Feb) on VH1. The previews indicate the usual mix of high end and drama queens. Should be interesting.

While waiting, I’ve been enjoying the RPDR marathon on Logo. Well, trying to enjoy. I know someone’s got to pay the bills, but theres a 6 minute commercial block after every 8-10 minutes of the actual show. I’ve resorted to pausing the TiVo then fast forwarding. Unfortunately, Logo isn’t one of the channels that works with TiVo auto skip.

Last edited:

FiveRinger

Ru Paul’s Drag Race season 12 premiers tonight (Friday 28 March) on VH1. The previews indicate the usual mix of high end and drama queens. Should be interesting.

While waiting, I’ve been enjoying the RPDR marathon on Logo. Well, trying to enjoy. I know someone’s got to pay the bills, but theres a 6 minute commercial block after every 8-10 minutes of the actual show. I’ve resorted to pausing the TiVo then fast forwarding. Unfortunately, Logo isn’t one of the channels that works with TiVo auto skip.
Thanks for the heads up! You have the date as tonight, March 28, though. :)

Aceon6

Hmmm, I’m not seeing a winner yet. Given the political theme, I was looking for a super smart QOC who can do satire.

Brita seems to be the type who can go deep into the competition
Nicky may be out quickly unless she can turn an unexpected look
Widow is too much for me after surviving a full season of Silky
Jackie is interesting and has an interesting POV
Heidi’s getting a redemption edit, but her confidence got shook
Gigi might be competing too soon after Aquaria
Crystal might be my candidate for first auf. She’s no Nina Brown or Sasha Velour.

Of this pack of 7, I’m thinking Brita, Jackie and Heidi (who will probably get a new drag name by episode 3) will be in the top 6.

Last edited:

Jayar

I've seen Brita perform live, and everything in this episode is what I hate about her. She's manic in her performance style, her make up is almost always off especially in terms of color palette, and she always looks like she is taking a dump. She can go early. I have also see Jackie live, and she is super witty, and should be good for the top five. The winner isn't in this group. There are some fierce queens in group two.

Aceon6

I almost forgot... Tom and Lorenzo’s book Legendary Children drops on Tuesday. I’ll probably save it for my Montreal trip so I can have everyone on my rather small plane wondering about that older white lady.

antmanb

I thought all the queens were pretty strong and none were downright awful. :shuffle:

Me too! I really enjoyed this first episode and it was a good idea to split them into two groups because in the first episode it's hard for anyone to stand out and I can never remember them all. I thought they all did really well in the challenge despite some of them looking like they might crash and burn I didn't think there was a single actually bad performance.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I thought all the queens were pretty strong and none were downright awful. :shuffle:
I agree. I like Jackie and Gigi best. That pirate outfit was fantastic. One of the best to enter the workroom. And I love Jackie's looks too, particularly the Spring and Summer outfits.

Aceon6

RPDR alums Bob, Katya and Trixie have specials airing on Logo tomorrow night. Bob is at 9, Katia at 10:30, and Trixie at midnight. All times Eastern.

I received my copy of Legendary Children today. It will be hard to save it for Montreal.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Today, Logo announced that they have disqualified Sherry Pie from the season because of her history of catfishing. Apparently Joey pretended to be a casting agent and solicited sexually problematic videos from men.

Sherry will still be on the show
but not in the finale.

I thought the premiere was good and I like Gigi. I watch this show but I normally discuss it on a different website.

Aceon6

For the RPDR franchise’s sake, I’m glad the catfishing came out now while the editors had time to adjust things as needed. And Sherry should be getting a relevant punishment as no sane club will book her now.

FiveRinger

I just watched the first episode a bit ago. I did not hate anybody!! It's a miracle!!

Sherry Pie is a disappointment. She was one of the queens that I wanted to like. I saw her intro on VH1. It's a shame what happened, but the punishment is severe and deserved.

Aussie Willy

I thought the second premiere challenge was really good too. Most of the girls did a great job. And I liked the musical theatre feel of it.

Aceon6

Ep. 3 The merging of the clans. Having an improv challenge so early created the usual drama. As I’m still struggling to remember all 13 when they’re out of drag, I’m not sure the workroom part really helped me at all. Before the critiques, I thought Heidi’s team turned it out and Widow’s kinda bombed. I think I’m team Gigi. For such a youngster, she’s got a lot to offer.

eta, and I think the right person went home although i ended up liking her a bit more after her exit interview.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

I thought the old lady team was very good. Particularly Gigi playing dead. And I liked Jackie pretending Gigi was alive.

The others I was a bit Meh!

Aceon6

Don’t forget. Fresh episode at 8 Eastern on VH1. DIVERSION!

Post show musings...
Can someone closer to the community explain why Ru chose Aiden to escape the lip synch?
If the sashay queen hadn’t botched the skirt removal, would she have had a chance to stay?

Last edited:

Aceon6

Ep. 4 was iiiiiiiinteresting but stoopid (thank you Arte Johnson). I get that they had to do editing to minimize Sherry, but she so dominated the challenge and the runway that they didn’t have much to work with. I was hoping the sashay queen could stay another week, but as soon as I saw who she was lip syncing against, I knew.

Snatch Game next week with 10 queens. It’s going to be exhausting.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I thought this was actually a strong acting challenge, one of the better ones seeing how much overkill there usually is with it and certainly much better than the disaster two weeks ago.

Nicki was my favorite from the introductory two episodes, but she crashed and burned so quickly. It was a little frustrating to hear her constantly use the language barrier as an excuse when she knew plenty of English slang. It wasn't that- it was everything having to do with her freezing up when it was time to deliver. Even the lip-sync was rough and stiff.

And yeah, Sherry is running away with it but they've definitely gone back and edited her out after her first week where they didn't have time to change anything. There was a clip circulating that showed an unedited version of one of the episodes (maybe last week) and it shows that they've cut just about everything out.

Something about Brita rubs me the wrong way. I get that they are all performance queens, but her facial expressions and her general delivery are so over the top/phony and while I'm sure she is one of the top NYC queens, this is a pretty strong group this year and she hasn't really wowed me at all yet, even though she feels she's always amazing.

Aussie Willy

Brita bugs me too. Very annoying.

Shame Nicky went. I was enjoying her. Gigi is the one that is surprising but really doing a great job.

Aceon6

I’m sorry, but that was the worst snatch game in a loooong time. 10 is too many. By my count only 4 hit.

Aceon6

Madonna the Rusical episode was fairly entertaining. I was hoping that Crystal could get the win after all that praise. I wasn’t as impressed with Gigi’s Michelle look, although I have to admit her Madonna was turned out. As for the sashay... don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

Is this going to be the end for Jan? Gurl didn’t take it well.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The edit of Jan crying a bunch in the next episode, I'm 99% sure was about Brita leaving and not throwing a tantrum about losing. She may have been upset about not getting the win in this challenge, but I'd be really surprised if those teaser clips had anything to do with it. On the other hand, she does seem to be overthinking a lot, so I don't know that she'll make it to the end.

Heidi is pretty much out of her league at this point, but I don't think there's any doubt she will be Miss Congeniality. She will probably have plenty of opportunity following the show.

And yeah- I don't know what Brita did to the producers but she didn't get one redeeming moment aired the entire season. Ru is all about this self-growth and 'everybody say love' and bringing families together and all of that, so most of the time there is some kind of story that resolves in a happy way. Brita wasn't given any of that, and I thought it was hilarious/sad/confusing that she was torn apart on the runway because she didn't have the exact earrings in an otherwise amazing Michelle outfit.

Aceon6

I don't know what Brita did to the producers but she didn't get one redeeming moment aired the entire season.
Clearing out one of the bigger girls? If RuCo wanted their first plus winner, it’s clear that Sherry was already on track to take it. Widow is providing a more humorous shade, so there’s no need for Brita.

Aceon6

I guess the producers were pretty straight with us about Jan. She played the whole infomercial as if she was selling to the 2nd balcony.

Was anyone else gagging over Widow’s runway face? When she removed the veil, all I could thing was “whoa, that’s some beautiful paint”.

Aussie Willy

I always enjoy when they have to do the infomercials.

Crystal is the one that I am really enjoying the most in terms of growth. And just seems to be a nice person.

I loved Heidi's infomercial. She is not my favourite but I laughed out loud during the taping of it and when they showed it.

After Jan's little carry on I am kind of glad she went. I had been glad to see the back of Brita. She needed to bring it and didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information