Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

Ok this is one thing that annoys me about the Royal families' social media accounts: why do people keep referring to Kate as "Queen Catherine"? She's not queen yet. She won't be queen for awhile. First the actual queen has to pass away or abdicate, then Charles has to finish his reign, during which Camila will be the Queen Consort.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Meghan? Milk leakage? Someone is smoking dope. I am quite certain someone has turned her on to nursing pads. $hit...they had those when I had my kids.

quartz

scratching at the light
There were times due to work when I would have to be away from my babies for several hours, and not always able to express. You can be damn sure I leaked through nursing pads too. First thing when I got home I would rip off my shirt, haul out a boob, and yell, give me that baby NOW!:lol:

PDilemma

There were times due to work when I would have to be away from my babies for several hours, and not always able to express. You can be damn sure I leaked through nursing pads too. First thing when I got home I would rip off my shirt, haul out a boob, and yell, give me that baby NOW!:lol:

I'm sure the baby was inside BP with a nanny or baby nurse. She wasn't away that long.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Or she could be allergic to nursing pads or too sensitive to them. Or she could just like wearing dark colors. :)

Winnipeg

Will Kate become Queen consort or just queen?

It must be awful to be so closely scrutinized every time you go out..............

attyfan

Will Kate become Queen consort or just queen?

There are only two ways to become queen. One, the queen consort, is the wife of a king; Kate will get this job if/when William becomes king. The other way, such as the current monarch (who is "just queen" or queen regnant) actually rules, and, this requires being born to the line of succession.

MsZem

I see the sea
There are only two ways to become queen. One, the queen consort, is the wife of a king; Kate will get this job if/when William becomes king. The other way, such as the current monarch (who is "just queen" or queen regnant) actually rules, and, this requires being born to the line of succession.
Just to add to this, Kate will still be referred to as queen, but she will not be queen regnant like Elizabeth or Queen Margrethe of Denmark. As far as I can tell, the British formal style is Her Majesty the Queen, not Queen Katherine. Though I am sure this will not stop the magazines - maybe she'll finally stop being Kate Middleton to them ;)

mag

And should she outlive William she may be know as the King Mother. Although it doesn’t have the same ring as Queen Mother but maybe that is just because it hasn’t been said as many times.

MsZem

I see the sea
And should she outlive William she may be know as the King Mother. Although it doesn’t have the same ring as Queen Mother but maybe that is just because it hasn’t been said as many times.
Has there even been a Queen known as the King Mother? It sounds... weird. King's mother, maybe, but that's a description rather than a title.

Assuming that William will be king before he passes away, it makes more sense that Kate will remain queen should she outlive him, and queen mother is typically what the mother of a sovereign is known as. Also, Wikipedia informs me that this is when she would be known as Queen Katherine! See for instance Mary of Teck.

Hopefully all of this will be in the very distant future.

attyfan

Has there even been a Queen known as the King Mother? It sounds... weird. King's mother, maybe, but that's a description rather than a title.

Lady Margaret Beaufort (mother of Henry VII) was not a queen, but she used her status as "the King's mother" as a title (along with her official title -- Countess of Richmond)

mag

I guess it depends on how you think about it. Was the last Queen Mother called that because she was the mother of the current Queen, or was it because she was Queen first (consort) and also a Mother. She wasn’t known as Queen Mother until after George died of course which is why I assumed the former.

Obviously and hopefully this will be many years away, and for many of us we are unlikely to be around anyway!

MsZem

I see the sea
Lady Margaret Beaufort (mother of Henry VII) was not a queen, but she used her status as "the King's mother" as a title (along with her official title -- Countess of Richmond)
Heh, I skimmed back as far as Joan of Kent, but didn't think to look at Margaret Beaufort. Thanks for sharing!

I did know that she was descended from the originally illegitimate Beaufort line, whose members were barred from the line of succession. But then, Henry VII declared himself king by right of conquest, so he was making his own rules ;)

I guess it depends on how you think about it. Was the last Queen Mother called that because she was the mother of the current Queen, or was it because she was Queen first (consort) and also a Mother. She wasn’t known as Queen Mother until after George died of course which is why I assumed the former.
Some queen mothers didn't want to be known as such, but I guess the queen mum didn't have that many options - that's what happens when you give your daughter your own name!

RoseRed

From her Wikipedia page:

She was Queen consort of the United Kingdom and the Dominions from her husband's accession in 1936 until his death in 1952, after which she was known as Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, to avoid confusion with her daughter.

So going by that, I guess Kate would be "Queen Catherine The King/Queen Mother"?

Actually, reading more of that article, it sounds like typically she would just stay as Queen Catherine:

Shortly after George VI's death, Elizabeth began to be styled as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother because the normal style for the widow of a king, "Queen Elizabeth", would have been too similar to the style of her elder daughter, now Queen Elizabeth II.

And looking at the Wikipedia page for the term "Queen Mother", it sounds like it would apply to Kate:

A queen mother is a dowager queen who is the mother of the reigning monarch

So Queen Mother, not King Mother.

kittyjake5

Been there and done that😊

cygnus

The title of a Queen Dowager (widowed Queen Consort) who is the mother of the next monarch is "Queen Mother" regardless of whether her child is a son or a daughter- she is a Queen, not a King- but no longer "The Queen" as that belongs to the next monarch's wife (if he has one), or her daughter, if she succeeds. The current Queen's mother used the title of Queen Mother as it would have been confusing to have 2 Queen Elizabeths around. Her mother in law (George V's wife) was known as "Queen Mary" once she was no longer "The Queen", as she disliked the title of Queen Dowager or Queen Mother.

mag

Last edited:

PDilemma

The title of a Queen Dowager (widowed Queen Consort) who is the mother of the next monarch is "Queen Mother" regardless of whether her child is a son or a daughter- she is a Queen, not a King- but no longer "The Queen" as that belongs to the next monarch's wife (if he has one), or her daughter, if she succeeds. The current Queen's mother used the title of Queen Mother as it would have been confusing to have 2 Queen Elizabeths around. Her mother in law (George V's wife) was known as "Queen Mary" once she was no longer "The Queen", as she disliked the title of Queen Dowager or Queen Mother.

I have read in multiple sources that the late Queen Mother did not wish to be known as the Dowager Queen and chose Queen Mother in its place because remaining "Queen Elizabeth" would have caused confusion.

canbelto

Konspiracy theory update: the newest ones center around Doria "only" staying 2 weeks after Archie was born. This is proof of ... something. Rather vague about what this proves.

But actually since Doria arrived a week before Archie's birth and stayed 2 weeks ... that seems very normal. Meghan and Harry have a nanny and Doria can space out her visits as she wishes.

Anyway, while the Konspiracy theorists churn, Sophie of Wessex is on a visit to Lebanese refugee camps:

Sophie's actually my favorite royal to follow just because she does so much Work that goes above and beyond what she has to do. Not glamorous work, but meaningful work. She;s the one royal where I think if one day she were to lose her title, lose her royal allowance, she'd be just fine. She'd probably pound the pavement and find a job and do awesome things within no time.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Not dissimilar to Meghan, Sophie was definitely a successful working woman when she met Prince Edward. Sophie worked in public relations, and she continued to maintain her professional career after marriage, for awhile. Unfortunately, opportunists in her line of business saw fit to try and set her up for their own gain because of her connection to royalty. As a result, Sophie had to quit her working career, even though she was not blamed for what had happened. Sophie has a very close relationship with QE-II; she's said to be Her Majesty's favorite daughter-in-law.

Meanwhile, Meghan is reportedly expected to take full maternity leave (earlier speculation was that she might come back to work after the summer, but at this point, it's being said she won't return to full time royal duty until sometime in September). OTOH, she's surely still involved with her patronages and with the Sussex Instagram account behind-the-scenes. And the Sussexes are said to be planning a two-week visit to countries in Africa sometime in late October or early November.

Archie's christening may take place in July, but nothing has been confirmed.

As well, there are reports that the Duchess of Sussex will be guest-editing British Vogue for September 2019 (with a photo shoot possibly taking place inside Frogmore Cottage). If so, it's probably happening sometime this month, since magazines typically work several months ahead in order to meet press deadlines:
"Meghan will be writing an op-ed and corralling a 'selection of female change-makers on board to write their own personal essays.' She’ll also be photographed at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor, hopefully with ... her son."

The Duchess of Cambridge appeared on the cover of British Vogue in 2016, and Prince Charles guest-edited Country Life in 2013, and again last year for their November issue.

Kate:

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Queen Maxima and King Willem-Alexander are visiting Ireland. At first I thought that her arrival dress was unusually bland, but on closer inspection it appears as though the sleeves are made of bracelets. Max never disappoints.

Sophie's actually my favorite royal to follow just because she does so much Work that goes above and beyond what she has to do. Not glamorous work, but meaningful work. She;s the one royal where I think if one day she were to lose her title, lose her royal allowance, she'd be just fine. She'd probably pound the pavement and find a job and do awesome things within no time.
Sophie Wessex is awesome. I imagine that even if Charles does indeed cut down on the number of working royals once he's king, he knows that she's an asset to the royal family and will keep her in this role.

canbelto

While we're talking about all things royal, I recently re-read some of Antonia Fraser's biographies on women like Mary, Queen of Scots and Marie Antoinette. I know she's held up as the gold standard of historical royal biography, but I found them unreadable the second time around. The soft-focus fan-fic approach (Mary and Marie were so kind, wonderful, beautiful, amazing) reads more like hagiography than biography. I actually tolerated this approach better with Marie Antoinette because I do think that her story became distorted because of the rage of the French revolution. But I did enjoy her biography of Henry VIII's six wives and also, oddly, Louis XIV's mistresses.

mag

Meanwhile, Meghan is reportedly expected to take full maternity leave (earlier speculation was that she might come back to work after the summer, but at this point, it's being said she won't return to full time royal duty until sometime in September). OTOH, she's surely still involved with her patronages and with the Sussex Instagram account behind-the-scenes.

Meghan clearly should do whatever she likes. I only hope that she is encouraged to unplug and just enjoy this time with Archie. She is in the enviable place of having absolutely nothing to worry about except enjoying her baby. She isn’t destined to be Queen, there really is no hurry or urgency to work unless that is what she wants. They grow up so fast and, who knows, they may be her only one. Instagram, Vogue, and all her patronages will be there in September or October, or heck, even January or April. Babies are only babies for a short time.

attyfan

While we're talking about all things royal, I recently re-read some of Antonia Fraser's biographies on women like Mary, Queen of Scots and Marie Antoinette. I know she's held up as the gold standard of historical royal biography, but I found them unreadable the second time around. The soft-focus fan-fic approach (Mary and Marie were so kind, wonderful, beautiful, amazing) reads more like hagiography than biography. I actually tolerated this approach better with Marie Antoinette because I do think that her story became distorted because of the rage of the French revolution. But I did enjoy her biography of Henry VIII's six wives and also, oddly, Louis XIV's mistresses.

IMO, that seems to be the standard for biographies of controversial royals -- it is the same for Richard III. Read John Guy's bio of Mary QoS -- says she was nearly as astute as Elizabeth, but that she was innocent of her husband's murder. To me, this makes no sense -- Jenny Wormald's incompetent airhead of a ruler could be innocent, but someone as astute as Elizabeth would have recognized the danger and posted guards -- unless she wanted him dead

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
In Sweden: Estelle and Oscar started their summer vacation, Victoria and Sofia got dressed up for the Polar Music Prize and then went hiking (in different outfits, naturally), and everyone was blinged out for the South Korean state visit.

Over in Ireland, Queen Maxima took the whole emerald thing very seriously.

I love Queen Maxima's dress. The emeralds aren't too shabby either. Victoria's dress is too frou-frou. Knowing that a dress had been mom's would not give me enough incentive to wear it but I think it was very brave of her. The pictures of the kids are precious.

MsZem

I see the sea
Victoria's dress is too frou-frou. Knowing that a dress had been mom's would not give me enough incentive to wear it but I think it was very brave of her.
Oh, that wasn't one of Queen Silvia's gowns - it's something new from an up and coming designer. Good on Victoria for trying something different and giving that designer a boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information