Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... how lovely it was for Kate to put in the effort she did to help make Meghan’s wedding so special.

I've heard that Kate was not really able to help Meghan out as much as she might have, which is understandable with her own two young children and being pregnant and then giving birth several weeks before H&M's wedding. And, in any case, I'm not sure how much effort you are imagining Kate needed to provide in the first place. :drama: Meghan had plenty of help from her husband, royal staff, Prince Charles (who selected many of the hymns and music selections, suggested the Kingdom Choir, and also suggested including the Coptic Church minister for one of the prayer readings).

In addition, Meghan consulted with a wedding expert and she was directly involved in requesting the brilliant, young violinist, Sheku Kanneh-Mason's services (as suggested by Harry). Meghan chose her own flower arranger and cake maker based on her previous knowledge of them. Unfortunately, the Archbishop of Canterbury in well-meaning fashion selected the sweet and loving, but over-performing Bishop Curry, who didn't know Meghan or Harry beforehand. I really preferred the short, but more on-point to the occasion address given by the St. George's Chapel minister at Eugenie's wedding, along with the reading by a black minister whom Eugenie and Jack appeared to intimately know.

It's not as if Meghan was born yesterday. She was previously married. She had her own lifestyle blog. She was a busy actor on a long-running television series, while also taking advantage of other opportunities, including filming two Hallmark movies, creating two capsule fashion collections for Reitmans, doing modeling gigs, articles, interviews, and humanitarian work, etc., not to mention that Meghan had done a lot of planning and assisting on her friend, Lindsay Roth's wedding, in June 2016, as she served as chief bridesmaid. As well, the transatlantic romance took a lot of energy, commitment and planning, what with juggling a busy television filming schedule and different time zones, as H&M discussed in their engagement interview.

puglover

As fascinating as the front and centre royals are, I am also very taken with the less photographed and written about members of the family. Lady Louise, the queen's youngest granddaughter, was born very prematurely and with issues with her eyes that required surgery, I believe more than one. She is an avid horsewoman who has followed her grandfather's passion for driving (horses). She has such a lovely smile and demeanor. Zara is an Olympic horsewoman. As they are all born to a life of wealth and privilege and presumably far more freedom of choice than those born to be heirs, I am impressed with those who live disciplined, meaningful, productive lives.

aftershocks

Banned Member
So you agree that she might think back and be grateful for people who went out of their way for her?

What? Okay, I think you are purposely trying to push buttons. But whatever. Giving back to others less fortunate has nothing to do with your apparent train of thought.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... Bringing malicious fairytales about the royal family...

I only responded today to some curious OTT and condescending comments toward Meghan. Am I perfect? No, I'm not. But I am aware of my own failings, motivations, and why I perceive things the way I do.

You seem to be upset about something else, as there is nothing close to being 'malicious gossip' about anything I said. Unless perhaps you are upset about my apt analogy to @mag's earlier unfortunate comment, suggesting that Meghan somehow needs to look back and 'regret' the scheduling of her wedding! I doubt Meghan & Harry had any exclusive say over the scheduling. It was a royal wedding folks, and thus, quite a bit was out of Harry's and Meghan's hands. They were insistent on the venue and other details they could control, but not on the exact date, who presided, and not even on everyone whom they may have wished to invite, among other logistics. If you don't want to view my correspondingly ridiculous, but apt analogy in the context within which it was stated, that's your prerogative.

In any case, ironically it's @canbelto who has seemed to be fixated on sharing 'malicious' dreck here about Meghan that has been floating around the Internet.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I am also very taken with the less photographed and written about members of the family... Lady Louise is an avid horsewoman who has followed her grandfather's passion for driving (horses). She has such a lovely smile and demeanor.

Ditto. I also think Sophie (Countess of Wessex) is a lovely person. She went through a lot with her first pregnancy delivery, running into serious complications. Fortunately, both mother and daughter survived with modern medicine. Sophie is said to be the Queen's favorite daughter-in-law. They share a love of horses and riding. Its very cool that Lady Louise, Sophie's daughter, who resembles the Queen, shares Prince Philip's love and skill for carriage driving. Sophie also enjoys this activity.

Princess Anne (The Princess Royal) is also another interesting member of the royal family. Anne has a very strong, no-nonsense personality, and an indefatigable work ethic. Those similar traits are probably why she and Meghan appear to get along pretty well, as when they've been seen in each other's company at public family gatherings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s69kndiP9Y old interview with Anne pt. 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j61vx-MiIT0 another old interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWZWo9SLVZs 2016 interview with Anne (she looks and sounds a lot like her mother) :) Anne discusses the sport of horse riding, and comments ahead of the Rio Olympics about her daughter's success in the sport, following after her own
I love when Anne says about horses: "They are the athletes, they know what they're doing." 🐎 :cheer2:

The Duchess of Kent is also a very interesting personality, as are many other members of the British royal family whom we don't often get to see or hear a lot about, including the Chattos, the Snowdens, and the younger Kent cousins, such as Lady Amelia who does some modeling these days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8leDmDZIG8 Interview with the Duchess of Kent

An interview with Autumn and Mark Phillips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHX8qxQfo_I

Down under feature on Zara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEFMu1m1kRA (the bit at the beginning with Harry is funny) Nice to listen, as I've never heard Zara's speaking voice before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cofSDx5U4g A nice documentary on Princess Anne
"I never was and I never will be a 'fairytale princess'"

Last edited:

PDilemma

Just stumbled on the new theory to explain Meghan’s baby weight when they believe she wasn’t pregnant. It’s a doozy. They have outdone themselves:

She’s pregnant now. She wasn’t pregnant with Archie but accidentally got pregnant BEFORE he was born and the palace is scrambling to explain it all.

I actually laughed out loud at this one. 😂😂

canbelto

Just stumbled on the new theory to explain Meghan’s baby weight when they believe she wasn’t pregnant. It’s a doozy. They have outdone themselves:

She’s pregnant now. She wasn’t pregnant with Archie but accidentally got pregnant BEFORE he was born and the palace is scrambling to explain it all.

I actually laughed out loud at this one. 😂😂

But what happened to the idea that she was a man and the pregnancy was to cover up for a sex reassignment surgery?

Back to Trooping, I think both Meghan and Kate need to take it easy on the contouring makeup. I understand they knew there'd be cameras and contouring is one of those things that looks better in pictures, but when you see high-res photos of them and you can tell exactly where they drew those dark lines ...

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I only responded today to some curious OTT and condescending comments toward Meghan. Am I perfect? No, I'm not. But I am aware of my own failings, motivations, and why I perceive things the way I do.

You seem to be upset about something else, as there is nothing close to being 'malicious gossip' about anything I said.

I was not referring to you when I said that about malicious gossip. It was in answer to canbelto. As for being aware of your own failings, nothing could be further from the truth. Read the last 2 pages for example. You twist people's words so you can take issue with what they say.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I was not referring to you when I said that about malicious gossip. It was in answer to canbelto. As for being aware of your own failings, nothing could be further from the truth. Read the last 2 pages for example. You twist people's words so you can take issue with what they say.

That's your perception. I only quoted exactly what was said. And I think it's disingenuous of you to suggest otherwise. Probably no bad intentions were meant by mag and Zemgirl, both of whom I sometimes agree with on certain topics in this and other threads. It's just somehow that Meghan being different has been a flashpoint for a lot of people. I've seen some strange reactions all over the Internet and on all sides of the coin.

There's lots of interest and a great deal of social commentary. It is an unexpected romance. And I think it's obvious that there are any number of comments that tend toward condescension and negativity toward Meghan, most likely unconsciously on the part of some people. The tabloid media however, has no filters whatsoever in the dragging and criticizing they have done unsparingly in particular against Meghan. They are always looking for some kind of angle, even when Meghan has been out of the public eye.

Yes, the royals are often raked over the coals, but what Meghan experienced throughout her pregnancy is beyond the bounds. She's definitely made of tough stuff. She doesn't appear to be someone who sweats the small stuff. I wish I was that tough, self-assured, smart, generous and skillful at living to the fullest in the present moment, with purpose and gratitude.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Obviously, you feel the comments I spoke against are harmless. That's your perception, and we don't have to agree. :)

Interestingly Meghan and Kate are actually almost exactly opposite builds. Kate has a long waist and shorter legs (obviously at 5’9” her legs are not short, just proportionally) where Meghan has long legs and a shorter waist. The advantage with that is we will be able to see a wide variety of fashions. Really a win win for fans!

This I can agree with, but yet I think Kate also has long legs, neck, arms and a long waist. Meghan has long legs, neck, arms, and a short waist, and she's not as tall at more like 5' 6" (some sources claim that Meghan is 5' 7", but whatever her height, she has a petite bone structure, like her mother).

Dover publications artist, Eileen Rudisill Miller, makes excellent paper doll likenesses. She took over for Dover with paper doll art after the death of the legendary and talented, Tom Tierney. I once spoke to Tierney about his work. He was a delightful man, who singlehandedly brought back the art of paper dolls in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. He's famous for his historical fashion paper doll art, and his paper dolls of royals, political figures, and famous women in history. Tierney made many paper doll likenesses of Diana, Princess of Wales, among other royals.

Rudisill Miller, who now makes Dover paper dolls, has a recent one coming out incorporating Kate and Meghan in one booklet. I wish she would produce these collections separately though of Meghan and Kate. There are already a number of Kate and William booklets, and Kate by herself, and only two Dover editions of Meghan with Harry, and none that I have seen of Meghan separately. Ah well, I've even seen that back-in-the-day, a two-for-one was done with Diana and Sarah too. :eek:

https://store.doverpublications.com/0486834271.html also selling for less on Amazon
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ed/33/32/ed333227fbe01b0746351172303f813e.jpg ;)

even coloring books

Last edited:

mag

This I can agree with, but yet I think Kate also has long legs, neck and arms and a long waist. Meghan has long legs, neck and arms, and a short waist, and she's not as tall at more like 5' 6" (some sources claim that Meghan is 5' 7", but whatever her height, she has a petite bone structure, like her mother).

I think she has long legs, but proportionally her body is longer, if that makes sense. I agree that Meghan is probably closer to 5’6”, maybe even 5’5”. Her long legs make her appear a bit taller than she is.

@aftershocks I do not dislike Meghan and I don’t think I am a racist person. I appears to me that you feel the need to jump all over every perceived slight that is anywhere close to Meghan. It does make discussions really difficult. Meghan, like the rest of us, is not perfect. She has her moments of self doubt, her moments of selfishness, her moments of cattiness- as I am sure does Kate and the rest of the world. She has made clothing choices I love and clothing choices I think are terrible. None of that is a reflection of who she is as a person. And, of course, none of us know who she really is. It is all just speculation.

I like to think I assume the best of people until proven otherwise. On that note I assume William and Kate love each and are good parents. I assume the same about Harry and Meghan. I don’t buy into the BS that you can tell anything about people’s relationships by photographs or videos of them in public, by what is published on social media, and especially short clips of carriage rides or balcony appearances. The only conclusion I would draw from the Trouping of the Colour is that Kate, Harry, and Meghan all have good manners. But, again, because I have no evidence to the contrary, I assume they also get along and love each other even if they are not necessarily best friends.

I can tell from your posts that you are a huge fan of Meghan’s. You are clearly inspired by her, interested in her life, and want the best for her. That is all very admirable. If I may suggest, perhaps you could try reading other posts while making the assumption that while we might not be as big as fan, or as interested, as you are, we are not criticizing her at every turn. Even when there is something critical, it is usually just a subjective opinion on the superficial stuff (clothes, hair, and makeup) and is not personal.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... I don’t think I am a racist person. I appears to me that you feel the need to jump all over every perceived slight that is anywhere close to Meghan. It does make discussions really difficult. Meghan, like the rest of us, is not perfect. She has her moments of self doubt, her moments of selfishness, her moments of cattiness- as I am sure does Kate and the rest of the world. She has made clothing choices I love and clothing choices I think are terrible. None of that is a reflection of who she is as a person. And, of course, none of us know who she really is. It is all just speculation.

Oh boy. Why are you leading with that utterance? I never claimed that of you. :drama: The fact you feel the need to go there is on you.

It is definitely true IMO that a lot of the negative attitudes toward Meghan have to do with subtle and/or unconscious biases related to Meghan's background (ethnic heritage mostly, and for some the fact she's American and divorced). But I didn't say that about you. You are bringing it up on your own. There's been plenty of commentary regarding the level of online negativity directed against Meghan. Here are just two of many commentaries:

To say that I 'jump all over every perceived slight' is an exaggeration. If you look at what I highlighted that you said, it's really more than a bit OTT on your part. I don't see the need to constantly look at Kate and Meghan in opposing and competing ways, especially not regarding any issues surrounding Meghan's wedding! Still, there tends to be this 'competitive' tendency when speaking about either of them that's out there in the media and in a lot of people's heads. From the beginning, I never anticipated this level of Kate & Meghan being positioned against each other. It all seems to be pretty knee-jerk and automatic at this point in some quarters of the media, and not helped at all by questionable and suspicious leaks from the palace last year as soon as Meghan and Harry returned from their successful South Pacific tour. And it hasn't abated much, not even since royal reporters identified a slight 'rift' between Harry & William as the major issue in the couples' evolving interactions.

We don't perceive things in the same way on this and some other issues as well that have to do with skating. So it is what it is. Instead of actually reflecting on what I said about your comments, you are defending yourself by talking about clothing choices, and running the same narrative that Meghan isn't perfect, when no one has ever said she's perfect. All of the royals are human, btw. Just because I have complimentary things to say about Meghan does not mean Meghan is perfect. That seems to be the go-to shuffle though, and so yes, it is difficult to find any common ground with you on this topic.

I certainly was not taking issue with general criticisms of Meghan's sartorial choices. I don't particularly care for some of Meghan's darker monochrome color palette choices either. But I have to admit she generally makes choices that work for her, and she carries things off well. I definitely do not love everything she has worn, and I haven't hesitated to say so. Once again, beside the point in connection with the condescending tone of your recent comments. I get that you don't feel you are being condescending. It is what it is.

Your rationalization in your post regarding what you imagine I feel about Meghan, I guess is your way of trying to show you didn't mean anything by your earlier statements, and that's fine. But suggesting that I'm reading things into your comments appears to be a deflection. But so be it. I think what you said earlier regarding Meghan needing to look back and regret when her wedding was scheduled (simply because Kate gave birth 3 weeks earlier and Zara was heavily pregnant) is really OTT and off-base. That is exactly what you said. No twisting needed on my part.

I'll leave you with some Mark Twain wisdom, which I really must try to follow and live up to myself. ;)

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear, and the blind can see. :summer:

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
:p

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, you should pause and reflect.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
:argue:

The common eye sees only the outside of things, and judges by that, but the seeing eye pierces through and reads the heart and the soul...

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Ha! That’s exactly what I was thinking. It’s a practical colour :)

But Meghan's go-to colours have been navy and black, more often than I choose to remember. I doubt 'milk leakage' was the reason for her choice. Dark colors can also show stains. I'm pretty sure there are more practical ways to deal with possible 'milk leakage,' as I said earlier, than choosing to wear navy or dark-colored clothing. I don't think this 'milk leakage' issue has ever been brought up before in connection with sartorial choices by royal ladies. :lol: Certainly, Kate was wearing a lovely pale yellow outfit at the royal wedding, three weeks after giving birth to Prince Louis last year.

Ah well, here's an article regarding Meghan's next possible appearance at Archie's christening, which date has not yet been announced, but will probably be sometime in July:

It's a nice article with pictures of other christenings, including Prince George in the royal family's Honiton lace ruffled christening gown.

But Meghan's go-to colours have been navy and black, more often than I choose to remember. I doubt 'milk leakage' was the reason for her choice. Dark colors can also show stains. I'm pretty sure there are more practical ways to deal with possible 'milk leakage,' as I said earlier, than choosing to wear navy or dark-colored clothing. I don't think this 'milk leakage' issue has ever been brought up before in connection with sartorial choices by royal ladies. :lol: Certainly, Kate was wearing a lovely pale yellow outfit at the royal wedding, three weeks after giving birth to Prince Louis last year.

Ah well, here's an article regarding Meghan's next possible appearance at Archie's christening, which date has not yet been announced, but will probably be sometime in July:

It's a nice article with pictures of other christenings, including Prince George in the royal family's Honiton lace ruffled christening gown.

I have a baby roughly the same age as Archie so it’s the kind of consideration that’s top of mind for me. That’s all. It’s just a sympathetic thought as I sit here leaking breast milk thankful that no one cares what I wear while I recover from childbirth :lol:

canbelto

I couldn’t see Meghan or Kate’s legs, but I assume they are wearing pantyhose that have a bit of a sheen?

Yes I think they are. In fact if there's one positive effect Kate has had on fashion it's that the quality of pantyhose has really gone up. I remember as a child being made to wear them. They were itchy, clumpy, orange messes that ran if you so much as brushed up against a hard surface.

Now my favorite brand is Hue and they have a "glossy" version that gives your legs a bit of sheen. No more orange tan, they don't clump, and they rarely run. I can wear skirts in the winter or on a chilly spring or fall day again. Best part? They're cheap.

canbelto

Yes you can order right off the website and your legs will look as shiny and sleek as Kate and Meghan's! (Well not really but I have found them to be absolutely great.)

Reactions: mag

aftershocks

Banned Member
Fewer konspiracy theories and more go-to tiaras, please. :saint:

Mark Twain may not have been a prince by blood, but he was certainly American royalty. Here's another apt Twain quip:

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. ;)

Alas, the royal ladies don't wear too many tiaras these days, but we can take a look back at the recent wedding tiaras:

MsZem

I see the sea
Fewer konspiracy theories and more go-to tiaras, please. :saint:
I posted a bunch of pretty Swedish tiaras a couple of pages ago ;)

The BRF doesn't do that many tiara events, unfortunately.

Yes I think they are. In fact if there's one positive effect Kate has had on fashion it's that the quality of pantyhose has really gone up. I remember as a child being made to wear them. They were itchy, clumpy, orange messes that ran if you so much as brushed up against a hard surface.
I suspect that's more about new materials and technology than Kate wearing pantyhose.

Lorac

I've been away for a few days and only just seen the pictures and video's of the Trooping of the Colour. I can see there are several posts about it but IMO QEII as always looked magnificent - she is one amazing lady. All the royal ladies looked good in their finery - especially Kate and Camilla. Meghan does love her navy blue and it looks good on her. I just wish her hat had had more body to it - it looked too flat for the occasion. I did see the dress had white short sleeves when she was out on the balcony which looked lovely. She did look a little tired - not as radiant as certain parts of the media would have us believe - but as she has a 4 week old at home that is perfectly natural!!

However as others have pointed out the kids- especially Louis - just stole the show. The OTT waving from Louis is just adorable. Having seen the pictures of the kids peering out of the window prior to the balcony appearance and waving then I can just imagine Charlotte saying to Louis 'Look Lew - here's what you do. Wave like mad and those people down there will cheer themselves silly. If it goes quite just wave again and they will go crazy. I just love getting them going' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information