Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Ok folks let’s keep the Sussexes in their thread except for the intersections with the Cathy situation which admittedly is a hard line to delineate but do your best.

(Cowardly admins don’t ask for hall passes, we gently remonstrate.)

Lynn226

Netflix?

I think she might have something here. No telling longterm success. But they clearly have a vision, a strategy and an American fanbase to sell to. Throw in the Oprah connection to get an item on those lists whenever they are given out and time will tell. I think it's the first thing she has done since leaving the UK that actually makes sense. And if I think it makes sense, not being a fan, I think her fans will lap it up (at least in the beginning).
I missed the Netflix announcement. I didn't see that coming.

fan

Meghan has long struck me as someone who wants to do Big, Meaningful Things but can't really shake her influencer persona.

Also, American Riviera Orchard sounds like a brand you'd buy at Costco.

* I wish we had Costco in Israel.
** Or HEB, which is glorious.
What’s HEB?

Steph

She could just call it American Riviera whatever and not make her name, in whatever form, part of it. If it needs her name/image to be successful, then....I mean, people can buy faux-country linens and household goods in a billion other places already.
I have no idea whether whatever she's planning would have been successful before she married (and given that nobody's seen it yet, I don't think anyone reasonably could). And I don't care for influencers, nor for lifestyle brands, so I'm not about to try.

Having this kind of branding at the ready is a competitive advantage. Of course she's going to use her name. It would be bizarre to expect her not to. It would have been equally weird for Charles to market food without branding it with the Duchy of Cornwall, or for Snowden to pretend he wasn't a brand as much as a photographer, or...

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Ok folks let’s keep the Sussexes in their thread except for the intersections with the Cathy situation which admittedly is a hard line to delineate but do your best.

(Cowardly admins don’t ask for hall passes, we gently remonstrate.)
Who are we assigning to the Heathcliff role?

"Wills Wales... it's me, Cathy..."

Vagabond

Who are we assigning to the Heathcliff role?

"Wills Wales... it's me, Cathy..."
I think the original lyrics are in order here. The other Kate was prescient.

Out on the wily, windy moors
We'd roll and fall in green
You had a temper like my jealousy
Too hot, too greedy
How could you leave me
When I needed to possess you?
I hated you, I loved you, too

Bad dreams in the night
They told me I was going to lose the fight
Leave behind my wuthering, wuthering
Wuthering Heights

Heathcliff, it's me, I'm Cathy
I've come home, I'm so cold
Let me in your window
Let me in your window

Ooh, it gets dark, it gets lonely
On the other side from you
I pine a lot, I find the lot
Falls through without you
I'm coming back love
Cruel Heathcliff, my one dream
My only master

Too long I roam in the night
I'm coming back to his side, to put it right
I'm coming home to wuthering, wuthering
Wuthering Heights
Let me in your window

Let me in your window

Ooh, let me have it
Let me grab your soul away
Ooh, let me have it
Let me grab your soul away
You know it's me, Cathy

Let me in your window
Let me in your window

:cold:

puglover

I am sure my algorithms label me easily as someone with an interest in the royals but recently, since this issue over the last picture of William and Kate and family, I am being bombarded with pictures of them - especially Kate but also their children. Some of them are clearly fake and not their children at all, some look authentic but highly doubtful they, or anyone authorized by them are putting anything out at all. Anybody else being deluged?

Amy L

A good grocery store chain based out of Texas.

ETA: might be something else that @MsZem was referring to, though.
From the context it looks like the Texas grocery store chain. Not all of them of fancy by the way - - we had an old grimey one till about 6 years ago. The new one is still relatively small for a HEB. Ours is basically just a regular grocery store with more pre-made meals/fresh food etc than usual.

I do come from the same place as Buc-ee's though. 😎 (they are terrible to work for btw)

I know it's off topic but doesn't everything on FSU end up about food anyways?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I do come from the same place as Buc-ee's though. 😎 (they are terrible to work for btw)
Good to know, as we have Buc-ee's now (or soon will) and they are hiring. Not that I want to work there, but students are always looking for jobs.

Amy L

Good to know, as we have Buc-ee's now (or soon will) and they are hiring. Not that I want to work there, but students are always looking for jobs.
They pay well but they will rub that in your face as an excuse to abuse you. I worked there a looooong time ago but I still hear that it's a needlessly dramatic place to work. Of course, it could be different around here because I live in the same county as corporate headquarters. My store was next to the county airport so it was the first little visit they'd make on their way back to corporate. Store #1 is only a few doors down from corporate and I'm sure that is rough. Having the execs come in and literally cry and yell over how someone cuts a loaf of bread is ... yeah.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
They pay well but they will rub that in your face as an excuse to abuse you. I worked there a looooong time ago but I still hear that it's a needlessly dramatic place to work. Of course, it could be different around here because I live in the same county as corporate headquarters. My store was next to the county airport so it was the first little visit they'd make on their way back to corporate. Store #1 is only a few doors down from corporate and I'm sure that is rough. Having the execs come in and literally cry and yell over how someone cuts a loaf of bread is ... yeah.
My daughter worked at Speedway for five years and had the same sort of experiences. They offered her management many times and she always had a hard time not saying "Ha!" in their faces.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
In other news, this is petty but Meghan launched her new brand American Riviera Orchard and already committed my biggest pet peeve in "branding" -- the oatmeal look. Does anyone ever look at an oatmeal-colored brand and think "I must buy this"?
Beige Moms are everywhere...

This is like the Tig 2.0 so she's back where she was before marrying Harry but now she has a big house and a title.
And kids!

IMO if you have to stick your name on a product to be successful, then the product isn't distinctive enough to sell itself.
Tig was successful and I expect Tig 2.0 to be even bigger.

MsZem

I see the sea
A good grocery store chain based out of Texas.

ETA: might be something else that @MsZem was referring to, though.
Nope, that was it. I've only been exposed to good HEBs, apparently ;)

Let us now all imagine royals shopping there and/or at Costco. I feel like Queen Maxima would really enjoy herself :lol:

JJH

@Amy L I am trying and failing to imagine how anybody could get that emotional about how bread is sliced. Literal salt tears? Are we talking too thick or too thin or on the diagonal or what was the great bread slicing crime that was committed?

Jenny

From the Bloc
We hear about the celebrities that are successful. We don't hear much about the ones that failed, and there are more than a few of those.

See: every Real Houswife who has/had a fashion/makeup line or a wine or a store. And whatever happened to Johnny Weir's fashion line?

Does this mean we'll see Meghan doing infomercials or ads on YouTube? Are infomercials still a thing?

QVC, mark my words :)

Amy L

@Amy L I am trying and failing to imagine how anybody could get that emotional about how bread is sliced. Literal salt tears? Are we talking too thick or too thin or on the diagonal or what was the great bread slicing crime that was committed?

:lol: Okay, so this was nearly 20 years ago so I'm trying to remember as many details as possible. At some point, the word from on high was to slice the bread a certain way for the sandwiches - - no longer just slicing down the middle, there was some fancier way that I can't even describe, it was like a bread pocket? (I even tried to Google image sub sandwiches to see if I could find an example) I worked graveyard shifts so I guess I missed the unveiling of this artistic wonder. My boss showed me how to do it on his way out the door, I laughed and said "yeah, no." I'm uncoordinated and it would just have me waste a bunch of bread in miscuts. I also worked entirely by myself most of the time and I didn't feel the need to cut bread the special way when I had all the truck drivers, drunks coming out the club, and people finally getting out from their weekend long meth binges. This fancy slicing technique lasted less than a month. By the end of this sandwich experiment, we had some corporate peeps come by to do their multi-weekly stalk and scream sesh on the way between the airport and their offices. One lady was observing me make a sandwich, and when I sliced the bread the normal way she said "Oh, so you already know that we changed it back?" No, my forgotten graveyard shift working ass didn't know, but I replied "Oh really? I never really did it because it seemed kinda pointless." The noise she made was kind of a gasping sob and she was so upset I thought she was going to fire me on the spot. She didn't, she just kind of huffed away to go stalk someone else but then I assumed the special bread thing was probably her idea that got vetoed. So no, not literally crying salty tears, it was more like a mini conniption. She went on to another person and screamed at them for putting more than three pickles on a sandwich, so I'm sure she was totally fine and got over it quickly :rolleyes:

I only worked at Buc-ee's for about 16 months. Way back in the day the "we pay more so we can torture you" shtick didn't work that well because I think I was only getting like $9/hr, which was only a dollar or so more than I was making previously at Dillard's. The corporate micromanaging just got on my nerves and I wish I could have said "Ma'am, this is a gas station" at least once before I left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information